ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Farm Aid 2004 (nsc) Return to archive
August 3rd, 2004 05:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Farm Aid to Head West to Washington State

AUBURN, Wash. - For the first time, Farm Aid will be doing its musical fund raising west of the Rockies this year, holding its annual concert at the White River Amphitheater. Farm Aid 2004, featuring Willie Nelson, Neil Young , John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews and others, will be held Sept. 18 in Auburn.

"The farthest west we've ever been is Nebraska," said Farm Aid Executive Director Carolyn Mugar. "We have a chance to reach a whole new audience and a whole new group of people."

Nelson, Young and Mellencamp started Farm Aid in 1985, in response to small farmers losing their land because of debt. The first concert took place in Champaign, Ill. The organization has raised $26 million to promote the preservation of family farms and locally controlled, sustainable agriculture.

The group gives grants to farm organizations, churches and service agencies for emergency needs, hot lines, nonprofit legal assistance, education and organizational development.

Mugar said Matthews' ties to Seattle, a place he has lived with his wife, Ashley, figured into the site selection. She also pointed out that 85 percent of Washington farms are family-operated and connected to informed consumers in the area.

"Seattle is a perfect example of how a city might embrace the philosophy of healthy food, from the farm to the table," Matthews said in a statement. "The success of Seattle's consumer awareness to demand quality food from farmers who care should inspire us all."

In 2003, Farm Aid made grants totaling $250,000 to 42 family-farm groups in 26 states. Over time, the organization has changed from an emergency organization for individual farmers to one that deals with broader issues.

"It's the exact same issue, but through a different lens," said Mugar. "It's about preventing the small farm from going to the auction block. And that means keeping fresh food available locally."

Farm Aid and local family-farm organizations will hold a series of events at Pike Place Market in Seattle during the 10 days leading up to the concert.

Tickets for Farm Aid 2004 go on sale at noon Saturday. Prices range from $30 to $95.
August 3rd, 2004 10:26 AM
Lazy Bones Homegrown's alright with me!
August 3rd, 2004 10:30 AM
Gazza It's the way it should be!
August 3rd, 2004 12:04 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It's the way it should be!

Word, bro!
August 3rd, 2004 12:24 PM
Martha Homegrown RULES!

In honor of this official announcement Chris and I just canned 13 quarts of the nicest homegrown, organic green beans this side of the Mississippi!

Does anyone else from this board can, dry and or freeze homegrown food?

Oh, and we have catnip drying in the basement...I have to keep my cats happy people!

August 3rd, 2004 12:33 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Oh, and we have catnip drying in the basement...I have to keep my cats happy people!

Is that what they're calling it these days...?
August 3rd, 2004 12:57 PM
Martha Meoooow...........

puuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrr!
August 3rd, 2004 02:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
Homegrown RULES!

A little bit, but not as much as we probably should. When I was a kid my Grandmother did alot of that. Nowadays she goes through the ritual and at least something gets canned.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
August 3rd, 2004 09:05 PM
parmeda
quote:
Martha wrote:
Homegrown RULES!

Me, I do! parmeda a.k.a. The Tomato Queen
It's a passed-down tradition in these parts, lol.