ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones' 'Circus' Heading To DVD Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 2nd, 2004 04:39 PM
justinkurian From Billboard.com

ABKCO Records is preparing the Rolling Stones' film "Rock and Roll Circus" for DVD release, Billboard.biz reports. The December 1968 concert was filmed for a television special, although it was never broadcast.

In 1996, ABKCO released a CD and videocassette of the event, which also featured performances by the Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull and the Dirty Mac, a supergroup comprising John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell.

Directed by Michael Lindsay Hogg, the film features the Stones performing tunes that had just appeared on their "Beggars Banquet" album: "Parachute Woman," "No Expectations," "Sympathy for the Devil" and a giddy version of "Salt of the Earth." They also performed their current hit at the time, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and premiered "You Can't Always Get What You Want," which would debut the following year on the album "Let It Bleed."

Blink Digital, an independent DVD-authoring facility in New York, is preparing the DVD, which ABKCO hopes to release in the fourth quarter. It will feature a surround-sound mix and bonus content, including never-released performances from the concert and contemporary commentary from participants.

Although nothing came of "Rock and Roll Circus" until recent years, Mahal told Billboard in 1996 that it was a turning point in his career.

"I had been playing in a club in California, and Mick Jagger was in the audience," he recalled. "So I went up to him after the show and said, 'Mick, we got a snowball's chance in hell of making things happen over here. If there's any kind of way we can help you in the U.K., playing on records with you, anything, we'd be glad to.' Three months later, the tickets came in the mail for my band, the road guys, and two of our management people, carte blanche, to go to London and perform in the 'Rock and Roll Circus.'"

As previously reported, the Stones' previously import-only collection "Jump Back" will arrive Aug. 24 in North America via Virgin/EMI Catalog Marketing.
August 2nd, 2004 06:21 PM
Gazza Excellent!
August 2nd, 2004 06:26 PM
Soldatti I have the Rock And Roll Circus on CD, VHS, VCD, Div-x and DVD, not an original release but it's very good.
Now the original DVD release...but at least will have unreleased material. I don't know if I will buy this.
[Edited by Soldatti]
August 2nd, 2004 06:34 PM
Gazza The bootleg copy that I've had of R&R Circus since the mid 80's had a couple of different performances than the released version although the whole show was also about 15 minutes shorter.

I'm hoping the never before circulated Stones rehearsals of songs like "Walking Blues" and "Yonders Wall" will be on it, although I'm sure that's a long shot!
August 2nd, 2004 06:54 PM
beer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The bootleg copy that I've had of R&R Circus since the mid 80's had a couple of different performances than the released version although the whole show was also about 15 minutes shorter.

I'm hoping the never before circulated Stones rehearsals of songs like "Walking Blues" and "Yonders Wall" will be on it, although I'm sure that's a long shot!

I heard the cameras weren't rolling during "Yonders Wall" Walkin Blues, and Route 66.
The first time i saw the RNR Circus it was indeed shorter than the official release and i'm pretty sure it had different versions of JJ flash and No Expectations.
August 2nd, 2004 07:23 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The bootleg copy that I've had of R&R Circus since the mid 80's had a couple of different performances than the released version although the whole show was also about 15 minutes shorter.

i hope so too. it is about time this thing got officially released...

now where are the complete el mocambo tapes..?
August 2nd, 2004 07:25 PM
Steel Wheels That flick was a snooze fest. I barely stayed awake when I saw it in the theater in 96, and I skipped it on VHS and CD.
August 2nd, 2004 07:35 PM
The Eggman R u kidding with 'the Tull' (flute-rock baby!), and Taj Muhal, with "Ain't That Alot of Love", is truly a wonderful experience!
August 2nd, 2004 08:10 PM
souldoggie What an amazing time capsule. Of all the adjectives that come to mind when thinking about this movie, "snoozefest" isn't one of them. "Snoozefest" isn't even in my top ten. Descriptors like "cool" or "rare" or "interesting" or "engaging" or "bizarre" or "intriguing" or "insane" or "fascinating" or "bewildering" or "astonishing" or "amazing" or "stunning" or "dumbfounding" or "crazy" come to mind, but certainly not "snoozefestly". Or is it "snoozefesting"?
August 2nd, 2004 08:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
That flick was a snooze fest. I barely stayed awake when I saw it in the theater in 96, and I skipped it on VHS and CD.

Well, maybe you didn't see "Whole Lotta Yoko". My ears are hurt still...
August 2nd, 2004 08:54 PM
Some Guy I will get this! I am giddy!
August 2nd, 2004 09:28 PM
cwatts0462 I might get it , it depends on the bonus footage
thats all that matters to me
August 2nd, 2004 10:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
cwatts0462 wrote:
I might get it , it depends on the bonus footage
thats all that matters to me

Maybe the bonus material is the only reason to buy this, but this bonus must be good at least...
August 2nd, 2004 10:29 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Maybe the bonus material is the only reason to buy this, but this bonus must be good at least...

hopefully there will be a stereo mix as well - this would be worth the priceof admission alone IF it is done properly...
August 3rd, 2004 12:15 AM
BILL PERKS THE CIRCUS WAS PHENOMENAL.IT WAS TRULY AN OUT OF TIME EXPERIENCE.THE WHOS PERFORMANCE WAS LIVELY BUT THAT A QUICK ONE BORES ME TO TEARS.
August 3rd, 2004 07:22 AM
Steel Wheels The 60's are over, more importantly the Rock and Roll Circus have left town many, many moons ago.

All this re-release of shit we already have has got to end. The ONLY thing I want is not a picture book, a best of cd, a groovy t-shirt, or a Wyman poster but rather a new FUCKING ALBUM WITH 18 SONGS ON IT.
August 3rd, 2004 08:35 AM
JOHNNYSTONED THIS IS THE STONES IN THEIR PRIME!!!! BONUS MATERIAL AND
SURROUND SOUND...I CANT WAIT.........
August 3rd, 2004 10:32 AM
The Eggman ByJesus!, Steel Wheel, I'd rather listen to the Stones "Many moons ago" then listen to them 'many moons later', circa NOW!

Sorry, but i like the Stones of ole'
August 3rd, 2004 10:41 AM
Joey
quote:
The Eggman wrote:
ByJesus!, Steel Wheel, I'd rather listen to the Stones "Many moons ago" then listen to them 'many moons later', circa NOW!

Sorry, but i like the Stones of ole'

Eggy .........?!?!

EGGY ................?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?! MAN , WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN THESE PAST FEW MONTHS ?!?!?!

Welcome Home My Stonesian Brother .......................

J.
August 3rd, 2004 01:17 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 very excellent news
August 3rd, 2004 01:19 PM
jb Stones performance sub-par and like the 9/11 Concert for New York, the Who steals the show....very unispired performance by the Stones, but what else is new...
August 3rd, 2004 02:19 PM
Soldatti The Who kicks ass, still...
August 3rd, 2004 06:12 PM
Gazza >Stones performance sub-par and like the 9/11 Concert for New York, the Who steals the show....very unispired performance by the Stones, but what else is new...

the Stones didnt play at the Concert for New York, so it was easy enough for the Who to steal the show that night.
August 3rd, 2004 07:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
the Stones didnt play at the Concert for New York, so it was easy enough for the Who to steal the show that night.

You're right. Mick and Keith were the only Stones present on the show.
August 3rd, 2004 08:08 PM
cwatts0462 why do the stones always do things half ass like that
cocert for new york
live aid
they make themselves look silly
August 3rd, 2004 08:34 PM
Gazza Mick was the only Stone billed to appear at the Concert for NY.
Keith only showed up at rehearsals the day before the show, so even HIS appearance wasn't planned.

At Live Aid, again it was only Mick scheduled to appear - (maybe not coincidentally, by the time both shows came round Mick had a new solo album either just out or about to be released..)

The Stones were recording Dirty Work in New York during the summer of '85 and had decided not to appear as a band.Keith had no intention of going near the event until Ronnie called him up a couple of days before the show and told him he was jamming/rehearsing with Dylan. Keith came round, joined in and Bob asked them both to play, at about 24 hous notice.

so, it seems on both occasions, only Mick had agreed to take part but Keith - who has gone on record as saying he "doesnt trust these big charity events" relented and decided to take part at the last minute.

On both occasions, with a bit of rehearsal and decent planning from the rest of the band (apart from Mick), they Stones could have played both events as a band and unquestionably stolen both shows. (Jagger was superb at Live Aid, but a Stones set would have blown the rest of the bill away)
August 3rd, 2004 09:04 PM
corgi37 keith wasnt even announced at 9/11 gig! It was like, whoosh, he wasnt even there. Remember him laughing when Jagger only was announced?

As for circus, yep, once again, the fuckers will get some of my money. I never watch all of it. Just the Who, the dirty mac and the Stones.

The Who were fantastic. No question. But, i dont think they stole the show at all. I love the version of JJF. No Expectations is great, YCAGWYW is iffy, so-so, ok, but still good and Sympathy is just - WOW!

If the dvd has at least 1 extra STones song, and at least 1 STONE talking about it, then i'll get it for sure.

I'd love to see more footage of the crowd and maybe many more behind the scenes stuff. It was a very long shoot, and i'd like to see the changing mood of the audience from excited to buggered.
August 3rd, 2004 09:23 PM
JaggaRichards Parachute Woman live is worth the price alone IMO
August 3rd, 2004 09:54 PM
Soldatti Keith apeared in the concert because he wanted, nobody invited it.
[Edited by Soldatti]
August 3rd, 2004 10:13 PM
Steel Wheels All this re-release news is getting old. Are the Stones taking a page from George Lucas and re-hashing everything that's ancient and giving it to us in a new format?

Jump Back, RnR Circus, Sympathy for the Devil, 40 Licks, ug. The past is over. It's over Johnny, over and out. I don't believe in the past. The past is gone.

I am not spending a God Damned dime on any Stones material unless it's a new album, or something from the vaults that I care about. I've always been into what the band is doing NOW, not 5, 10, 15, or 40 years ago.

And besides, it's all about me anyway!
Page: 1 2