ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 8-1-1994 Return to archive
August 1st, 2004 11:06 PM
BILL PERKS 10 YEARS AGO TONIGHT THE STONES OPENED VOODOO LOUNGE IN WASHINGTON DC.A GREAT SHOW-27 SONGS!THE SET WAS SHORTENED TO 22 BY TOURS END.A TRULY GREAT NIGHT I'LL ALWAYS REMEMBER.ANYONE ELSE THERE?
August 2nd, 2004 12:18 AM
Mandrax I was there! Rocked! IMHO, best tour to this day since '81...
August 2nd, 2004 01:10 AM
Zack I was there. Remember the guy on stilts during Monkey Man? They got rid of him a few shows later.

I have the show on CD.
August 2nd, 2004 05:22 PM
crb69 I saw them on 8-12-94, the first night @ Giants Stadium I believe. Passed up Woodstock 94 for the Stones & wouldn't have had it any other way. I was on the floor for $50 a ticket and saw the best Stones show I've ever seen...the boyz were truely at their best back then. Keef played one of the best shows of his life that night!
August 4th, 2004 08:49 PM
Gimme Shelter Anybody got the setlist from this show? If I remember they played Hot Stuff that night, didn't they?
August 4th, 2004 09:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
Anybody got the setlist from this show? If I remember they played Hot Stuff that night, didn't they?

They did. Setlist is available here -

http://www.rocksoff.org/1994.htm
August 4th, 2004 10:23 PM
Gimme Shelter Thank you
August 4th, 2004 10:51 PM
corgi37 What is this about a bloke on stilts during Monkey Man?
August 4th, 2004 10:54 PM
corgi37 Oh, and was this the show that they sold on VHS during the tour? They didnt do Sympathy, is that right?
August 4th, 2004 11:41 PM
BILL PERKS NO THEY SOLD THE GIANTS STADIUM SHOW ON VHS..SETLIST INCLUDED HOT STUFF,CANT GET NEXT TO YOU AND 7 SONGS FROM VOODOO LOUNGE.FIRST LIVE PERFORMANCE OF MONKEY MAN.
August 5th, 2004 12:15 AM
Gimme Shelter Pretty cool version of Out Of Tears on that video.
August 5th, 2004 12:17 AM
Gimme Shelter The Voodoo Lounge tour was great. I saw it at the Kingdome in Seattle.
August 5th, 2004 12:56 AM
Zack Corgi, it was just that, a bloke on stilts walking around the stage during the song. He had on a voodoo costume with a tribal mask, and I think he might have blown fire out of his mouth. Apparently they dropped it quick, a few shows in if not the next show. It was bloody daft. Mick touching tongues with Lisa worked much better.
August 5th, 2004 05:35 AM
crb69 I thought he was blowin' fire out his ass! Oh, that's right, I was

The VooDoo VHS was from the Sunday night show @ Giants when it rained. Funny intro to that one when the roady wakes up, farts, & then has his bimbo girlfriend yell at him when he says he has to get Ronnie's amp ready for the show. "Ronnie, I thought you were Ronnie! You were supposed to take me to six flags!" He brushes his teeth & rinses with a Budweiser sitting on the hotel sink. Then he races to the stadium, turns on a generator and passes out in a chair while the drums to Not Fade Away rock the joint. I gotta transfer that one to DVD before it rots!
August 5th, 2004 07:30 AM
Some Guy Yeah, I got that video. I saw them in Birmingham that tour and Atlanta.
August 5th, 2004 08:06 AM
Gazza >Oh, and was this the show that they sold on VHS during the tour? They didnt do Sympathy, is that right?

yeah. About 85 minutes of the Giants Stadium show from 15th August was put on sale - only at concerts - within a few weeks of the show taking place. It was however, commercially released internationally in 1995.

the promo video for "You got me rocking" also comes from footage from this concert. Oddly enough, there was also an episode of "Beverley Hills 90210" a couple of months later where the plot was centred around the kids going to a Stones concert in LA. However, the clips used of "Not fade away" and "YGMR" werent taken from the band's Pasadena shows on that tour, but were taken directly from the Giants Stadium video

They didnt perform "Sympathy" on that tour until mid October when they were in Las Vegas, when it followed the little Voodoo Lounge animation scene. Up until then, "Monkey Man" had been played at that point in the show.

A lot of the early shows had seen Mick appear at the start of the show from a trap door underneath the stage. After a while, he just strode on from the wings and they used the trap door on "Sympathy" instead, to greater effect. The video footage on the screen for "Sympathy" was fantastic as well. That was a great tour.
August 5th, 2004 08:11 AM
Gazza >NO THEY SOLD THE GIANTS STADIUM SHOW ON VHS..SETLIST INCLUDED HOT STUFF,CANT GET NEXT TO YOU AND 7 SONGS FROM VOODOO LOUNGE.FIRST LIVE PERFORMANCE OF MONKEY MAN.

they'd done "Monkey Man" at the club show in Toronto a couple of weeks earlier (7 of the 16 songs that night had never been performed before!), but that DC show was the first time they'd played "Memory Motel", "Out of Tears" and "the Worst"