ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHO REVIEW - Melbourne 31/7/04 - Corgi style Return to archive
August 1st, 2004 09:06 AM
corgi37 Ok, lets go.

I must admit I was getting really excited in the past few days about this gig. The 1st Sydney show got so-so to bad reviews, but the 2nd Sydney show rocked apparently. I got to my mates place, had few beers and listened to some of Floyd on his new SACD player. He also played me some of SACD Tommy. Big mistake! Lol, what a piece of crap. Anyway, I wanted to get him up to speed on some songs that he would here, so I brought along Quadrophenia and the dvd of the Albert Hall gig to show him what Zak Starkey�s style was like. This set the mood and off we went. A quick bit before the gig (Singapore Noodles in Collingwood � always a good start) and a few more beers as we strolled to the gig.

1st impressions: Our seats were shit. The shittiest. Back row on the side, with my head resting on the concrete wall. Fucking hell!!! Saw about � of �You am I� act. Very good. Crowd liked them. My niece is dating the bass player. You think I�d have the brains to contact her and get tickets, but I forgot!
Another impression was the staging. Or lack of it. There was no video screen! Stage was just basic black. To my shock, the WHO�s set up only covered about 15% of the total stage area. Surely not, I thought. But, yep, behind YOU AM I was Starkey�s kit, all set up. Man, we�ve got it good with the Stones, I tell ya.
Also, where we were, the sound was shit. Just bass, and muddy bass at that.
The lighting rig looked ok, but certainly nothing I expected from the WHO. Some where deep inside of me was praying there�d be lasers! Haha.
The crowd was surprising. Lots of old farts like me, but quite a few youngies. And, trendy youngies at that! Also, many chicks. Much more youngie chicks than at the Stones last year. And, better class of oldie too. No cardigan wearing Grandpa�s. Heaps of tattoos that suspiciously looked like prison tatts and lots of missing teeth. In other words, my kinda crowd. Definitely, not a bloody Eagles crowd!
Zak Starkey got a huge round of applause! And, with good reason. He was fucking amazing. Not as technically brilliant as Simon Philips, but way better than Kenney Jones. Oh, and my God, how much had he improved since the Albert hall gig? I thought he was ok in the dvd of the show, but he has really come into his own now. He aint Moon, but he was taught by him, and has his spirit.

Anyway, before show time, I scooted down for a cleansing beer (fucking $5.40!) and a smoke. Don�t worry, I told my mates, there will be an announcement before they come on. Well, 30 seconds later and �Anytime, anywhere, anyhow� roared into life. Oops! I had to swallow my whole giant cup in seconds flat. I simply refused to go back to our seats. No way was I sitting in the clouds. So, I stayed on the walk way of the landing below. Some fat ass-hole asked me to move, and I just nodded. He asked a guy next to me to move, but the guy just danced away, ignoring him. I watched 3 songs from here, and then fatty came back. Ok, he said, we could stay, but we had to move back. Luckily, at Vodaphone Arena, the walk ways have a recessed part, so I stood there and enjoyed a closer show with much better acoustics. I SMS�d my mate to come down, and he and another buddy joined me. It rocked!!

I wont go into the set list. From what I have seen, it wasn�t anything special or different from other recent shows. I was spewing 5:15 was left out. Replaced by a rocking Punk and the Godfather and an awesome solo acoustic Drowned. True to my word, I had a smoke break during You better, you bet. Lame song, but the crowd loved it. I guess it being a radio staple (about the only Who song played these days) helps.

Highlights? The banter between Pete, Roger and directed to us. Some of it very funny and touching. Who are you (not a fave) was awesome! The new song sucked so bad. The usual killer songs absolutely killed. They were awesome! No, brilliant. Love reign o�er me was magical, but it was obvious Roger cant hit the notes. Simon Towneshend filled in rather obviously on backing vocals here. Wont get fooled again had everyone�s skulls lifted, to reveal their fleshy, throbbing brains. Man, it was good. Scary good. My Generation was hot, but ruined by seguing into Old Red Wine (crap too). Kids are alright, a jaunty, enjoyable 3 minute ditty, was turned into a 10 minute dirge. Pete dedicated it to all the kids born since their last Melbourne gig. Considering it was 36 years ago, that�s a lot of bloody kids! He also said he cant believe how amazing the place is now. Well, der! Roger�s been telling you that for years. Other Melbourne connections were Richard Lowenstein, director of White City film. Lowenstein had had long chats with him about Melbourne and introduced Pete to a mate of his, who was going to make a movie with Richard. The mates name was Michael Hutchence. I thought it odd Pete didn�t mention Deborah Conway, a Melbourne chick (who was in the paper just last week) who sung on his Iron Man record.

All in all, I was blown away. The lighting, though not looking much (Still hanging for the lasers) was very effective. But, well, I wasn�t happy with my spot. Old Corgi boy only likes being on the floor. I bid farewell to my mates, and went on an Amazing Journey (which they played, and which shook up those exposed brains of our!).

1st, I went to the next level. I squatted down with another chick (about 35, bit rough, but shag-able) and watched some tunes from there. Much better. Louder, and closer. Then, to my astonishment, a couple, sitting about � section in front of me, left. Yes, left! This was during Tommy section. Fucking pigs! Must have one tickets in a comp. Still, their rudeness was my gain. Me and spunky-but-maybe-too-old bolted into their seats, just a Pinball Wizard cranked up. Unreal! Loud as shit down here, with Zak�s bass drums hitting the old heart. Watched Amazing Journey and was enthralled. But, I had other kingdoms to conquer. I skipped down 10-15 rows, and squatted just above the floor. Breathtaking! I sidled up to the security dude and asked him if I could come down. Exptecting a TAZER on the nuts, I was stunned when he nodded. Just-met-washed-up-but-still-has-functioning-pussy-woman didn�t want to come. So alone, I went into the fray.

Well, fuck me. Heaven is a Who concert! What a spot! I saw most of Sparks and all of See me, Feel me, from the 3rd fucking row! My few strands of hair were standing on end with electricity. Stunning. NO!! Not stunning. Life changing. I nearly cried. I couldn�t believe I got so close! I was too chicken to take some pics from here, as Security was watching. During the night, I did manage to get some very average pics, and a couple of short vids from my digi cam. Nothing to write home about.

Then, it was over. They said goodnight, and mumbled about coming back. Pfft, yeah, in another 36 years. The house lights were still off, and I opened my big mouth to a dude in front of us.
�Mate, we are going to get an encore! They aint done Magic Bus�.
�Yeah, they didn�t!�
�Sydney didn�t get an encore, but I reckon we will. Just goes��

Then the fucking house lights came on.

Well, I was mighty pleased with my efforts. I thought security was very charming. Then, I realised I�d lost my mobile phone! What a bitch! Then, I bumped into a mate of my bro�s, who is a muso too. He was working at the gig, and got given tickets 5 rows, dead centre! Ass-hole! Hahaa. I quickly looked for my phone, but gave up. I trudged back to my mates.

At 1st, maybe they didn�t believe me. Hmpf! I�ll show them! I made a point of taking a pic of the stage from where I was. Haha, fuckers! They were gob-smacked. So, only bummer was my phone. My mate rang it, but it rang out. I went to INFORMATION, gave them my details, and went to check the woeful and expensive merchandise. Then, my mates phone rang. Hey, cool, my phone was found. Got returned to me safe and sound 5 minutes later. Decided not to pay $45.00 for a T-shirt. Walked out of the venue, all of us ecstatic. Not far away, a chick was getting busted by 2 cops for selling fake $10.00 t-shirts. Damn! I�d get one of them. Wifey bought one last year after STONES, and they weren�t bad. But, not 5 feet away, �busted girls� partner was still selling them. I bought one, just a 2 more cops nabbed him. Cool eh!

The perfect end to the perfect evening.

All in all, I was delighted with the show. The � WHO, as some wags call them (And remember, I have said that line 1st!!!!!!!!) was simply superb. They rocked majestically. Man, Pete was amazing. So aggressive. So cool. The thing that got me was their �attack�. Say, a quiet passage, like in WHO ARE YOU (or many WHO songs, come to think of it) suddenly erupts into a violent storm of sound. The Who are the masters of this attack. Just as the Stones are the masters at stopping a song, then re-igniting it.

So, that�s it. So very glad I went. So very glad I decided to better my seating situation. I had a few more beers at my mates, discussed the night, then went home. I was disappointed my ears weren�t bleeding, but I was on a real high. So much so, went to bed at 4am, and decided to give my sleeping wifey a sneaky bukkake facial.

Goodnight all.

P.S. I didn�t do that last bit. I just wished I did. If I ever did that, and wifey woke up with a �stuck eye�, you just KNOW I will be typing in a high pitched voice.
August 1st, 2004 11:45 AM
Martha Nice review corgi! Thanks for giving a dog a bone. The WHO are not returning to the States so I won't be able to see them live this tour.

I live vicariously........:-)
August 1st, 2004 09:32 PM
sirmoonie Thank you Corgo, for that awesome review. Read every damn word, loved it!

Damn, they have got to expand that tour!
August 2nd, 2004 12:09 AM
BILL PERKS JOEY WILL HAVE A STIFFIE IN THE AM
August 2nd, 2004 02:27 AM
Bloozehound
August 2nd, 2004 07:13 AM
Gazza >JOEY WILL HAVE A STIFFIE IN THE AM

he can have mine. I'm done with it for now after reading that review.

Great post, Corgi - glad you had such a great time
August 2nd, 2004 07:40 AM
corgi37 Oh, made an error. Cant explain was 1st song.

I still cant get over how cool, or lax as some might say, security was. Stones last year was like they were performing at a prison. Everywhere you moved, some yellow jacketed fucker was staring at you. As my "camera bust incident" shows. But, at the WHO, the security was a joy.

EG: When my mates and i were standing in the aisle, fat-man came back and began to speak to a guy standing next to my mates mate. Uh-oh we thought. Fun is over. Guess what though? Pudding man goes and gets the bloke a bloody chair! Now, thats service! I tell you though, it made for a nicer atmosphere. I cant believe i got from last row to 3 rows front. Oh, and i forgot to mention. The front row REALLY was the front row. The barrier from seat to band would really lucky to be 10 feet. Gazza, you are seeing them, right? You are in for a big one. I would be interested if they play on a larger stage and used a vid screen. It could be an "Australia" thing. Sometimes bands come here on the cheap. They still charge top dollar, but dont bring their full rig.
August 2nd, 2004 07:45 AM
corgi37 Oh, made an error. Cant explain was 1st song.

I still cant get over how cool, or lax as some might say, security was. Stones last year was like they were performing at a prison. Everywhere you moved, some yellow jacketed fucker was staring at you. As my "camera bust incident" shows. But, at the WHO, the security was a joy.

EG: When my mates and i were standing in the aisle, fat-man came back and began to speak to a guy standing next to my mates mate. Uh-oh we thought. Fun is over. Guess what though? Pudding man goes and gets the bloke a bloody chair! Now, thats service! I tell you though, it made for a nicer atmosphere. I cant believe i got from last row to 3 rows front. Oh, and i forgot to mention. The front row REALLY was the front row. The barrier from seat to band would really lucky to be 10 feet. Gazza, you are seeing them, right? You are in for a big one. I would be interested if they play on a larger stage and used a vid screen. It could be an "Australia" thing. Sometimes bands come here on the cheap. They still charge top dollar, but dont bring their full rig.
August 2nd, 2004 09:49 AM
Gazza >Gazza, you are seeing them, right? You are in for a big one. I would be interested if they play on a larger stage and used a vid screen.

Already saw them on 7th June in Birmingham, and no - they didnt use a big screen even though the venue held around 13,000. I think they did for the US shows, though!
August 2nd, 2004 09:49 AM
Joey " Well, heaven is a Who concert! What a spot! I saw most of Sparks and all of See me, Feel me, from the 3rd fucking row! My few strands of hair were standing on end with electricity. Stunning. NO!! Not stunning. Life changing. I nearly cried. I couldn�t believe I got so close! I was too chicken to take some pics from here ............."

Outstanding Review Corgi -- I was hanging on every word ...........................STONES / WHO -- Best Bands in the WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corgi .............I am so glad that you managed to get much better seats to enjoy such a momentous occasion . It must have been something to witness the explosive power of " Pete & Co. " from a few feet away ( especially the encore numbers ) .

You are much loved by the Joey and I am envious that you got to see THE WHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps they will tour my part of the orb again NEXT summer .

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJacky !
August 2nd, 2004 09:53 AM
F505 hi joey
August 2nd, 2004 09:55 AM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
hi joey

Hi F505 ....................Isn't Corgi a Great Man ?!?!?!

" Been saying it for decades Ronnie ! "

J.
August 2nd, 2004 10:00 AM
jb Thanks Corgi...
August 2nd, 2004 02:07 PM
Joey

For Corgi :

August 2nd, 2004 08:53 PM
corgi37 Perfectly put: Explosive power. Described Pete perfectly.

Thanks for the flag. I hate the damn thing though. We need one of our own. Just check out he New Zealand one. Or, the Hawaiian one, for that matter.
August 2nd, 2004 09:59 PM
Soldatti Great review, Corgi!
August 4th, 2004 04:42 PM
Joey
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Great review, Corgi!

A Great Review by a Great Man !
August 5th, 2004 03:55 PM
Joey

Corgi is a Great Man and a true Living Legend !
August 5th, 2004 03:59 PM
jb Corgi is not only my friend, but a friend to all ....he "tells it like it is" and is a true gentlemen!!!! Long live "King" Corgi.....

P.S-Corgi, why is the USA Olympic basketball team struggling against Italy and Germnay?
[Edited by jb]
August 5th, 2004 04:12 PM
Joey

Yes ..........................

Corgi is INDEED " The KING " , is a " Straight Shooter " and is a true friend of .....

Long Live Corgi37 !

J. .....