ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Toronto Rocks Special on CBC Tonight! Return to archive
July 30th, 2004 10:18 PM
getsatisfied I am really starting to think that the only people this concert mattered to was those who attended. I watched the "so-called" CBC special tonight and all it was , was an edited version of the dvd. No commentary from CBC or anyone else for that matter. I am completely confused as to why the indifference to this concert by all of the major players. Any ideas as to why this is? Either there is something more planned or it just wasn't as big a deal as we where led to believe.
gs
[Edited by getsatisfied]
July 30th, 2004 11:15 PM
mickmask ...Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?
... and your point is....what????????????????????
mm.
July 31st, 2004 06:17 AM
Make It Funky Well...having been there as well, I am honoured to have been a part of that historic occasion. Not because it's cool, not because it's popular, or picked up by major players - but because I feel that it was a memorable occasion. (subjectively speaking).

If you look/hear about the Woodstock '69 stories.. half a million attended, but 5 million people say they attended. Isn't it funny, how, soon as "major players" get involved, did takes on a whole new dymamic, and it no longer is it a subjective coolness, but an acceptance, into what, society wants you to think is cool.

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to attend that '69 Woodstock, for there were no seats, no organization, poor conditions, (bad acid) poor sound.. chaos.. much like Altamont... even though both of these festivals are 'revered' in rocknroll circles, I think it's a retrospective reverence.

My suggestion to you dude, is, don't worry about how popular TORONTO ROCKS becomes or how many units it sells, or how much "buzz" is about it.. the buzz is bullshit anyways.. I think as long as YOU liked it, and as long as YOU know it was a brilliant concert experience to be a part of, then, that's your privelage and secret and confidence to your rocknroll egotistic repetoire. It's for you and me to know, and for the rest to find out, or be left out.

Cheers mate
July 31st, 2004 07:01 AM
tumblingdice01 I attended the Toronto SARS concert (I still have my complete ticket that wasn't cancelled because we snuck in a side entrance) I suffered through the package deal crap so I won't go into that nightmare. But I wanted to say a few other things. I have been attending all types of concerts (festivals, open air stadiums, open seating, reserved seating, hockey rinks, opera houses, fine theatres etc) since 1970. I'm not a concert neophyte and I know what crap you have to put up with to see rock bands. For some reason, promoters and hall owners seem to think that because we like rock music and are young, we don't count when it comes to customer service. I'm used to it. I don't like it but I usually ignore it because I'm seeing my heroes.

This concert, however, was easily the most unorganized and downright dangerous affair that I have ever attended. We tried to make it to the front at 10 AM, and it took until 11 AM to get there. When we decided that we needed some food and water at 2 PM, it took us until nearly 3 PM to get back to the stands! There were no toilets or water available at the front or the sides. You had to go entirely through the crowd to get near a toilet. There were only 3 official souvenir stands for 400,000 people!

The food stands had no signs indicating that you had to line up and purchase tickets in another location before you could go through the food line. So that took an hr to do the purchasing and the pickup.

There was no shade provided except in the food tents. None. It was a typical Toronto summer day - 32 degrees and humid. People were being passed by their friends to the security folks so they could be revived and cared for. If you happened to go to the very back, the St John's Ambulance folks were handing out free half litre bottles of water. At the food stands 250 yds away, they were over 4 bucks!

I could go on and on. But to those who have never attended large festivals, and think that was a normal experience, be heartened. The SARS organization was crap. You don't have to put up with this level of nonsense just because 400,000 people are showing up. North American promoters and event organizers should try attending some festivals in Europe before they do their event. The festivals here in Belgium are a world of difference away in terms of health and safety compared to the SARS event. I'm Canadian and I wanted the Toronto event to be world-class. But it wasn't unfortunately.

To those who suffered through the day and their bad experiences have faded over time, you will probably think it wasn't so bad. That's great. But believe me when I say, it could have been a whole lot better. Get one of the bootleg DVDs (for e.g., my 2-DVD Bully set is great!) The official one doesn't have the complete Stones show, which is another piece of crap foisted on us by the Stones management.

Let's hope the 2005 tour stays away from large venues and we all have great seats and hear every song that we wanted!

Cheers,
July 31st, 2004 09:55 AM
mickmask Agreed... to most of the above. We were about mid crowd, to the left of the stage, and yes, it was difficult to get anywhere at all. We didn't lack water,(thank heavens), but a trip to the john was a trip indeed. I remember looking around me at one point and then at the security helicopters circling and thinking ... if anything happend, (e.g. terrorism attempt), we are so screwed! (Apparently that crossed Jaggers mind too that day.) All in all I thought it was an amazing day, (just to be a part of a crowd that big, and that peaceful.) Poorly organized? Yes, but it was thrown together very quickly I heard. I think it was just for the grace of god that nothing happened. Sheer luck. (The heat got to me at one point, and I'd been drinking a bottle of water an hour all day, and I joined the hundreds in the shade under the tractor trailers. An hour there, (watching some couple get it on, I might add), and then a stint under the hoses from the hydro trucks, and I was right as rain again.)
Everything considered... I'd do it all over again!!
... oh and BTW....
GetSatisfied has a nice ass................
mm.
July 31st, 2004 03:22 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mickmask wrote:
Everything considered... I'd do it all over again!!

Absolutely!
July 31st, 2004 08:14 PM
getsatisfied Thanks for the replies. I will agree on all including the fact that I have a nice ass. No really.... It's quite nice. lol But not near as nice as mickmasks!