ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dead Flowers Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 30th, 2004 06:19 AM
headshrinker I absolutly love this song. the tune and the lyrics are quality. i especially love mick taylors guitar work. as i am a new and young stones fan i was wondering if n e 1 could tell me where i could here similar music by other artists. also, who influenced the style of guitar solos that taylor is playing.

thanx
July 30th, 2004 07:36 AM
Gazza Similar music by other artists - go out and buy a lot of Americana / alt.country stuff a la Steve Earle (his earlier recordings, such as Guitar Town etc owe more to this style - plus hes actually COVERED "Dead Flowers" on his live album "Shut Up and Die Like an Avaiator"- but pretty much most of his stuff is high quality), Lucinda Williams (recommended first purchase ; "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road"), Ryan Adams (also his previous band Whiskeytown), Joe Ely (especially recommend "Love and Danger"), Butch Hancock, Flying Burrito Brothers, The Byrds "sweetheart of the Rodeo" album etc

I think if you like stuff like "Dead Flowers", "Torn and Frayed" and songs like that, you'd probably like most of the above.
[Edited by Gazza]
July 30th, 2004 11:26 AM
Mel Belli I second all that, and I'd add the Jayhawks, Uncle Tupelo and the first couple of Wilco albums.
July 30th, 2004 01:28 PM
Soldatti A great song, all the album is incredible...
July 30th, 2004 02:03 PM
scratched
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Flying Burrito Brothers, The Byrds "sweetheart of the Rodeo" album etc

Definitely. Plus Gram Parsons' two solo albums (available on one CD) 'GP' and 'Grievous Angel'. He was a main instigator behind the Stones' country stylings around the time of Dead Flowers. Beautiful music.
July 30th, 2004 03:34 PM
Blind Dog McGhee Dead Flowers

Willie Nelson & Friends:
Stars & Guitars

Ryan, Keith, Willie, Hank III
July 30th, 2004 03:43 PM
mickmask Love that song!! ... and Gazza , you are truly the music guru!! Yes, I think those songs fit that style.
(Did I read that some psycho sang a few bars at his sentencing?)
mm.
July 30th, 2004 04:29 PM
jb ............. Bill Wyman is sorely missed as he was the perfect compliment for Keith and Charlie. Sadly, he has become somewhat bitter in his later years,, but perhaps it's his way of coming to terms with his decision to leave the band...Although these guys all made a lot of money and lived the lives we can only dream of, I can understand how being ignored all those years could cause him to have these misguided feelings....As for MT, the comments were in 75 when he, and we, all thought he had great things to come...sadly, his solo career never took off and I trust deep inside, boring or not, he has reservations about his career choices...nonetheless, the man was the greatest musical force to ever play with the band....

Thanks Mickmash!!!

July 30th, 2004 11:13 PM
mickmask Hey K.D.! Nice to have you back.
New York will never be the same again!! LOL
Go anywhere interesting?
mm.
July 31st, 2004 04:49 PM
Gazza >Definitely. Plus Gram Parsons' two solo albums (available on one CD) 'GP' and 'Grievous Angel'. He was a main instigator behind the Stones' country stylings around the time of Dead Flowers. Beautiful music.

Oh I agree 100%. I love those albums! I only left Gram off as his two albums are maybe less "rocky" and more "country" than the others I mentioned. I was trying to "convert" him slowly!

And if you like Gram, headshrinker, then you should also like Emmylou Harris. Thats a natural progression!

Joe Ely and Butch Hancock got their start in a shortlived but legendary trio called the Flatlanders, with Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Theyve done a couple of recent albums after a 30 year break which are worth getting too. Gilmore's a bit more country orientated than Joe & Butch but his own solo albums are worth getting too, I think. Amazing voice.
July 31st, 2004 07:28 PM
Blind Dog McGhee Jimmie Dale is great. If you want hardcore country, don't forget Dale Watson.
August 1st, 2004 04:27 AM
mac_daddy gazza - did you catch this show?

Steve Earle
2004-02-12
The Errigle Inn
Belfast, Ireland
August 1st, 2004 07:46 PM
Gazza No, but I was at the show the night before in the Elmwood Hall. It was the first time I'd ever seen him.

My friend taped them both,and I've converted them to CDR if anyone needs copies.

Both those venues are tiny and Steve added them at short notice. Elmwood Hall seats about 550 (its a converted church) - I saw Patti Smith and her band there two nights ago.

The Errigle Inn is literally a bar. They hold the gigs in an upstairs room which would seat at a maximum about 130 people I would say. Steve seems to like playing there as he's played there a couple of times before. I have a CDR of a previous show from 3 years or so ago too
August 1st, 2004 08:30 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

My friend taped them both,and I've converted them to CDR if anyone needs copies.

now i know what we can trade for...

i just picked a copy of the show i asked you about (always think about you - and my great-grandmother - when i see belfast, as you are the only two people i have ever known from there).

anyway, i would love to get copies of those shows from you someday...
August 1st, 2004 09:18 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
headshrinker wrote:
I absolutly love this song. the tune and the lyrics are quality. i especially love mick taylors guitar work. as i am a new and young stones fan i was wondering if n e 1 could tell me where i could here similar music by other artists. also, who influenced the style of guitar solos that taylor is playing.

thanx

If you're basically looking for some good country-rock look no further than discovering the Eagles...(I bet sirmoonie's ears started flaming as I typed this recommendation lol)

Gazza you listed some very good examples, but being the Steve Earle fan that you are I'm surprised you didn't list Townes Van Zandt.

I suppose Townes is more country than rock with most of his work being solo acoustic/singer-songwriter stuff, but I'd say it's very much in a similiar vein of music as all those great Stone's country flavored songs like Dead Flowers, Wild Horses, Country Honk ect...Townes also covers the greatest verion of Dead Flowers I've ever heard IMO.
August 1st, 2004 09:56 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
If you're basically looking for some good country-rock look no further than discovering the Eagles...(I bet sirmoonie's ears started flaming as I typed this recommendation lol)

Yes, they did. I can't help you with your Eaglism, you have to ADMIT you have a problem, before any progress can be made. I think its a 12,000 step program.

But anyway, ditto on those Parsons' albums, I only discovered those a few years ago (through my Stones). Nice stuff. "She"!

That Lucinda Williams stuff is great too. I am seldom into female artists, but my wife is and she bought that one, played it in the car one day, and I was hooked. Fantastic stuff.

Dead Flowers. That was a time when the Stones could do anything they wanted. No rock and roll by anyone has ever come close to those days.
August 1st, 2004 10:09 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

If you're basically looking for some good country-rock look no further than discovering the Eagles...

you're just f*cking with me, right..?
August 1st, 2004 11:13 PM
uncle don
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

We can only hope. The Eagles? Ewwww. In their favor, they did do a cover of a Steve Young song, 7 Bridges Road. Listen to the original; much, much better.

Steve Young is another s/s I would recommend if you like Dead Flowers. Rock, Salt, and Nails is one of my favorite songs. A good CD to start with is the RCA two-fer re-issue of Renegade Picker/No Place To Fall. They were issued in 1976 and 1978. Both CDs have a great cast of supporting players.

Don
August 2nd, 2004 02:37 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Yes, they did. I can't help you with your Eaglism, you have to ADMIT you have a problem, before any progress can be made. I think its a 12,000 step program.

quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

quote:
uncle don wrote:

We can only hope. The Eagles? Ewwww.

you guys...

August 2nd, 2004 07:19 AM
Gazza >Gazza you listed some very good examples, but being the Steve Earle fan that you are I'm surprised you didn't list Townes Van Zandt.

I'm a relatively recent convert to Steve Earle, and yes, I scandalously omitted to mention the late, great Townes van Zandt from the above list. Great songwriter

August 2nd, 2004 07:21 AM
Gazza >now i know what we can trade for...

i just picked a copy of the show i asked you about (always think about you - and my great-grandmother - when i see belfast, as you are the only two people i have ever known from there).

anyway, i would love to get copies of those shows from you someday...

e-mail me your home address and I'll send them on to ya!
August 2nd, 2004 10:37 AM
jb That's very generous of you Gazza!!! You are a credit to the ...by the way, my mom just flew into Dublin for a 2 week vaction...if you see a 5'1, 75 year old jewish woman, please say ello!!!
August 2nd, 2004 11:24 AM
Gazza In the unlikely event that at some time in the next couple of weeks I venture 100 miles south, I'll be happy to greet Mrs B.!
August 2nd, 2004 11:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>now i know what we can trade for...

e-mail me your home address and I'll send them on to ya!

Steve Earle? I'd like that one. But I don't have anything to trade. Just getting started again on collecting records which I haven't done for years, since I lost all my records in the early 80's. But I don't like to take stuff for free. A couple of people have sent me some "free" stuff so I feel kind of "in debt" so to speak. I mean I wouldn't even mind sending money but I guess that isn't cool.
August 2nd, 2004 12:28 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Steve Earle? I'd like that one. But I don't have anything to trade. Just getting started again on collecting records which I haven't done for years, since I lost all my records in the early 80's. But I don't like to take stuff for free. A couple of people have sent me some "free" stuff so I feel kind of "in debt" so to speak. I mean I wouldn't even mind sending money but I guess that isn't cool.

Thankd Mother baby!!!! Maine is one of the original colonies and for that we are eternally indebted!!!
August 2nd, 2004 12:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Maine is one of the original colonies and for that we are eternally indebted!!!

Well not exactly....Maine is and always has been "locally owned and operated" by Massachusetts, not one of the original 13.
August 2nd, 2004 05:22 PM
Gazza >Steve Earle? I'd like that one. But I don't have anything to trade. Just getting started again on collecting records which I haven't done for years, since I lost all my records in the early 80's. But I don't like to take stuff for free. A couple of people have sent me some "free" stuff so I feel kind of "in debt" so to speak. I mean I wouldn't even mind sending money but I guess that isn't cool.

e-mail me on [email protected] and I'll help you out
August 2nd, 2004 05:53 PM
Bloozehound Guns and Roses did a Dead Flowers rip off called "Used to Love Her"
August 2nd, 2004 07:08 PM
Gazza and for those of you who DO like Steve Earle, his new album "The Revolution Starts..Now!" is out August 24th

you can hear a few of the new songs here - they sound great:

http://www.steveearle.net/discography/revolution.php
August 2nd, 2004 07:21 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
and for those of you who DO like Steve Earle, his new album "The Revolution Starts..Now!" is out August 24th

you can hear a few of the new songs here - they sound great:

http://www.steveearle.net/discography/revolution.php

if you downloaded the show i recorded from high sierra last month, he played "rich man's war" which will likely be the ne album's first single (i better don my flame-proof suit for that, given the right-wing bend of many on this board )

____

and jb, i know you are an educated man - i certainly hope you were kidding about maine being one of the original 13 colonies
Page: 1 2