ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHO are here Return to archive
July 27th, 2004 10:20 PM
corgi37 Yippee ky aye, mudda-fucka! The Who have landed on these shores of milk and honey and Miss Universe winners for the 1st time since 68. I see them this Saturday. Cant wait.
July 28th, 2004 10:17 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yippee ky aye, mudda-fucka! The Who have landed on these shores of milk and honey and Miss Universe winners for the 1st time since 68. I see them this Saturday. Cant wait.

My Stonesian / Whoian Brother Corgi ........................

You have no idea how wonderful the band is performing right now -- I just got my " WHO MSG '04 " DVD in the mail last evening , watched the entire compelling performance , and I was completely FLOORED by " Pete & Co . " !!!!!

Corgi , please post a review of the gig on this board Sunday !!!!!!

BEST WHO YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

D. J. Jercee Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !
July 28th, 2004 10:18 AM
Gazza If you enjoy them half as much as I did last month in Birmingham, you're in for a treat.
July 28th, 2004 04:47 PM
steel driving hammer Townshend does Rule.

People Forget (that he's a Pedo)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No, but he's the next best thing to Kieth.
July 28th, 2004 05:00 PM
Joey
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Townshend does Rule.

People Forget (that he's a Pedo)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No, but he's the next best thing to Kieth.

For My Baby :

http://oddsandsods.imdanet.com/petephotos3.htm
July 29th, 2004 10:44 PM
corgi37 I saw the set list they played in Sydney on Wednesday (they did 2 shows there) on a Who site, but i was unable to find a review. I checked the Sydney Morning Herald and Daily Telegraph, but nothing. They've been pretty low-key. They appeared on a sports/variety show on Wednesday (i missed it, it was a live cross to the gig), and now that show has got the axe! They were on 1 of our morning shows (called Today - original bastards, arent we?), but i was still asleep.

I am really looking forward to the show. Our seats are shit, but the show aint a sell out. I have fingers crossed we might get moved closer. Or, at least, we might be able to sneak down a few rows. I'm going with my mate, Mick, his sexy girl, his best friend and his best friends wife, Who, oddly, was once Mick's wife!!

The plan is to get to his place around 4.30, crack a beer or 19, and watch the Albert Hall dvd to warm us up. Mick himself gave me the dvd last year. I still havent watched all of it. Then, we are going to his buddy Ian's, where maybe some more beer and some GVM might be obtained.

We then scoot off for some thing to eat (either Mexican or Vietnamese, not sure which) and off to the gig. The kick off is around 8.00pm. I will try to get the set list written out, lets see how pissed i am 1st. I will have a few smoke/beer breaks, as i am not interested in the new songs, and cannot stand "you better, you bet".

Either way, i will post a review as best i can. No doubt, it will be the only time i see them. I just want it to be LOUD. I want bleeding ears, and burst eye balls. Hope the light show is decent too.

In advance, the songs i'm really looking forward to hearing are: Love reign o'er me, 5.15, wont get fooled again, see me, feel me and baba o'reilly. With that last song, i'm really looking forward to 10,000 40+ people singing "Teenage wasteland". Should be a hoot. As if we old farts give a shit about teens, or even remember when we were teens.
July 30th, 2004 01:04 AM
corgi37 Set list for Sydney 29/7/04. Only found 1 fairly "nothing" review. Said they were very good, but not so passionate. Didnt do a Magic Bus encore. Also said, your ears will be ringing, so its gonna be great. Sydney is gay town anyway. Melbourne has always been a rock town.

I Can't Explain, Substitute, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Who Are You, I'm One, The Punk And The Godfather, Love Reign O'er Me, Eminence Front, You Better You Bet, The Kids Are Alright, My Generation, Old Red Wine, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me
July 30th, 2004 07:43 AM
Gazza >I am really looking forward to the show. Our seats are shit, but the show aint a sell out. I have fingers crossed we might get moved closer. Or, at least, we might be able to sneak down a few rows. I'm going with my mate, Mick, his sexy girl, his best friend and his best friends wife, Who, oddly, was once Mick's wife!!

I had pretty mediocre seats for Birmingham. Whilst the show was officially sold out, it was very easy just before showtime to get great seats outside off scalpers/ticket touts. I exchanged mine for two in the 7th row an hour before the show and it only cost me an extra �60 for the two of them. Was well worth it.

Baba O'Riley was the highlight for me too. A real lump in the throat moment finally getting to see and hear that one.

Have a great time!

[Edited by Gazza]
July 30th, 2004 08:10 AM
Gazza Who the hell are you?
The Who land in Australia today despite vowing in 1968 never to return after being held by police in Melbourne for five hours. Glenn A.Baker looks back at the horror flight that led to the band's siege
July 27, 2004
LEGENDARY tour manager for four decades, Ron Blackmore, remembered every second of what unfolded on the last day of the Who's Australian tour in January 1968, as the party in his care boarded a 7am Sunday flight from Adelaide via Melbourne to Sydney, where they were supposed to connect to a Christchurch flight.

Just 3 1/2 years earlier Australia had swooned shamelessly over the Beatles. John, Paul, George and Ringo were lovable moptops whose every indulgence or indiscretion was complicitly overlooked by a breathless nation. But the likes of Pete Townshend and Keith Moon were seen as little better than hoodlums.

In typical tour tradition the last night was party night and being volatile bands, the Who and their support, the Small Faces and Paul Jones, partied all night, Blackmore once told me. "I'll never know how we did it but we got all the performers out of bed at five and then had them at the airport by 6 o'clock. As you could imagine, everyone was dead on their feet. Most of them hadn't been to bed, none of them had had a shower. It was summer and they were all wearing singlets. Nobody in Australia had ever seen anything like those singlets with names printed on them.

"By the time I rounded them up at the airport we were last on the plane. The last one on was Paul Jones. He wasn't the party type and hadn't been up all night so he bounded on board as fresh as a bloody daisy. He had done himself up all ready for the press in New Zealand. He really kept up an image -- open neck silky shirt with a cravat, fancy shoes, all spick'n'span."

The plane took off and Blackmore, roughly the same age as the band members, had his head in a newspaper when a flight attendant demanded angrily: "Are you the leader of this bloody mob?" He quickly scanned the rows, ascertained that his charges were largely out cold and admitted he was. "Well I've had them," she said. "We've only been in the air five minutes and they want beer!" He looked around again and spotted three, one being the Who's loony drummer Moon, going "Yeah, beer".

"I won't serve them beer until I've served everybody teas," she insisted. Blackmore thought that fair enough so he stood up, told them all the score and received the general response "Terrific. We'll have a cup of tea then." He then returned to his paper.

The urbane Oxford-educated Jones, the former lead singer of the group Manfred Mann, who had sung their global hit Do Wah Diddy Diddy and had previously toured Australia with them, picks up the tale. "It was a scene of people asleep, reading newspapers or, in the case of Kenney Jones of the Small Faces, playing gently with a baby who was leaning over the seat in front of him. I had been dying for coffee and I saw that the hostess had begun serving from the front of the plane. She came to the four or five rows that our party occupied and stopped serving coffee and then resumed serving it behind us. After I had recovered from the surprise I pressed my call button, twisted around and said over my shoulder, 'Could I have some coffee please? And she said 'You'll get coffee when I'm ready'. I thought that was astonishing so I replied, 'actually no, I'll have some coffee now please', then she said, 'I've never been spoken to in this way in all my life!' So I said, 'My goodness, you've led a sheltered life' and she stormed off."

Blackmore heard her say "I was told not to serve you" so he walked to the servery area and inquired "Excuse me, who's the hostess in charge?" Innocent but obviously inflammatory words. "This bird with her back to me spun around in tears, totally distraught, and she started screaming 'I am!'. I said to her 'Look, I don't understand. I don't know what we've done. I haven't seen anybody do anything wrong, so what's the problem?' But she kept on screaming, 'I'm going to see the captain, I'm going to have you arrested!' 'Fine, but what's the problem, what have we done?' 'You know what you've done!'

"She steamed off to the captain so I turned to the other girls and said 'Look, I really don't know what's upset her, if I knew I'd be down there yelling at them, but honestly, somebody had better give them some tea and coffee or they're gonna pull this plane to pieces. Remember, that's what you told them -- don't make a noise for beer, wait for the tea -- and they've sat there patiently, haven't done a thing and you walked right past them'. She said: 'You're right, you're dead right, we'll serve them straight away but you must remember, we've got to take our instructions from her.' I said 'Look, she's in no fit state to give any instructions, so you're on your own. They're all Poms, bring 'em all tea, don't even ask them, just give it to 'em.'

"They started pouring the tea and I was sitting in my seat totally confused but thinking that I'd sorted it all out. Then I looked up to see the captain coming down the aisle checking off the seat numbers. He walked up, looked at me and said: 'Are you Blackmore? I'm the captain.' I said 'How do you do, sir?' He didn't waste any time being polite. 'I've just come here to inform you that on arrival in Melbourne I have arranged for the Commonwealth Police to meet you and you will all be taken into custody.' 'What have we done?' 'I'm not prepared to discuss it; I have one of my girls in the cockpit hysterical.' Then he started to march back down the aisle. I just couldn't believe it was happening, I was spluttering 'Whaa but why ... who ... how ... uh ... uh, wh ... wh ... what ya talking about?!', then one of the Who's roadies jumped up and said: 'Hey don't you want to hear our side of it?' The captain turned his head, said 'I'm not interested' and kept walking. So that was it, these guys started yelling 'You ...', y'know."

As the aircraft taxied at the old Essendon Airport in Melbourne, an increasingly apprehensive Blackmore sighted from his window what he estimated to be 40 Commonwealth Police on the tarmac. "One of them started up the stairs and I looked over at Pete Townshend, who was packing death.

"This guy in a suit was standing in the doorway just watching us and he looked right at Townshend and said, 'you're coming with me'. Pete asked him 'am I under arrest?' and the cop said he wasn't. 'Well I ain't going anywhere with you pal, cause the last pig that said come with me when I wasn't under arrest kicked the shit out of me in Germany. So I'm not going anywhere with anybody unless I'm formally charged in front of witnesses and at this point I can't understand what you could possibly charge me with'.

"The policeman huffed a bit and said: 'Be it as it may, you will all have to get off this plane and you will go into the VIP lounge where you will be under close surveillance. You will not be allowed to ring or contact anybody, you will not be able to leave the room, and you will not be continuing on this flight."'

Airport manager Allan Trail had been rung at home about the "massive problem" and dashed in wearing gardening shorts. He knew Blackmore and persuaded police to let him use a phone, though not an Ansett one. The Commonwealth Police let him out of the room on the condition that he would not speak to the waiting media. As he walked past a row of phone booths outside the airport he overheard reporters talking to their editors. "Because nobody had told them anything they started making up stories, things like 'they're all under arrest, it seems they stripped naked and ran up and down the aisles' or 'they had a fist fight with a couple of passengers and three people have been taken to hospital' and on it went."

The flurry of calls began but being Sunday, everyone had gone fishing, or to the beach. Blackmore demanded to speak to airline owner Reg Ansett. "Oh no, it's Sunday, he's at home, can't get him ..." As a last resort Blackmore asked to speak to the captain again.

Blackmore apologised for whatever it was the bands were supposed to have done.

Blackmore recalls: "Then, I'll never forget this, I extended my hand and said 'Incidentally my name is Ron Blackmore'. He [the captain] put his hand behind his back, said 'I'm not going to touch you mister, you're shit', turned to Trail and said, 'if they're on the plane it doesn't fly, that's all there is to it', then stormed off with Bawling Bertha [the flight attendant] in tow.

"When I got back, the Who and Small Faces wanted to tear the place apart. Stevie Marriott [Faces singer] was just lovely to control. He wanted to kick a wall down and I was holding him in the corner saying, 'shut up man, cool it'. There wasn't even a beer to calm him. Paul Jones was simply dumbfounded, he just didn't believe it was happening. He was running around warning the rowdy ones, 'no, no that's the worse thing to do'."

Trail finally relented and got Ansett on the line and held the handset an arm's length as Ansett "blew up, went berserk, absolutely bananas: 'Who made the decision to offload them? Who gave them the authority, these sort of decisions are made at management level, do da da da.' When Reg calmed down I got called over and handed the phone. 'I don't know whether you did this or not' and I jumped in with 'great, somebody who can finally tell me what we've done'. 'Well, they're claiming you endangered the lives of the passengers on the aircraft.'

When I got my breath back I said, 'Mr Ansett, nobody had a gun, nobody got out of their seats, they didn't even make a noise because they were all exhausted.'

"That may be, but nevertheless we've got to get you to Sydney," Ansett said. Blackmore thanked him and pointed out that his group had been held for 5 1/2hours without a biscuit, sandwich, cup of tea or even a drink of water. Ansett barked, "right, give me back to the airport manager" and in five minutes laden trolleys materialised.

By this time the waiting media was becoming fevered and Ansett insisted that there be a statement to the press.

Blackmore recalled: "I talked them into letting Paul Jones [whose big solo hit had been, ironically, I've Been A Bad Bad Boy] be the spokesman with all the others sitting quietly behind him like a portrait painting. Paul Jones spoke very ... well very, at the front of a wedge of suddenly angelic musicians. He went through the spiel: 'We didn't do anything, I don't know why we are here, but I believe we are leaving'."

Ansett had an Electra rolled out of a hangar to fly the party to Sydney, though the only way the pilot would take the plane up was if there were two Commonwealth Police along for the ride, and no other passengers. "The Electra flew back to Melbourne empty except for these two cops," said Blackmore, "and they couldn't work it all out. They'd never seen such a well-behaved bunch of guys. Sure they were typical rock'n'roll people, a yell and a shout, but that was about it."

At Mascot airport the beleaguered musicians walked off and on to a coach loaded with Customs and Immigration men who processed the group on the way to the international tarmac and a New Zealand flight. Within three minutes of them stepping on board, the door slammed shut and their bizarre Australian odyssey was over.

POSTCARD, the opening track on the Who's 1974 Odds & Sods album, penned by bassist John Entwistle, mentioned "people who hurt us in Germany" and included the verse "There's kangaroos and we're bad news in Australia/Thrown off the plane for drinking beer/So long on the plane it drove us insane, so long on the plane".

The Who play Wednesday and Thursday at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, Saturday at Melbourne Vodafone Arena.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10254696%255E28737,00.html

[Edited by Gazza]
July 30th, 2004 08:13 AM
fmk438j Here's a review. (A quick note: This journo gave a rave review of the Stones OZ clubshow, and then kinda poopoo'd the following arena show).

The Who, Entertainment Centre
By Bernard Zuel
July 30, 2004

Thin, bald wizard ... the Pete Townshend windmill lights up the Entertainment Centre. Photo: Domino Postiglione

Entertainment Centre, July 28

There's no embarrassment at the Who. No reason to hide behind your pricey seat and wince at what has befallen one of your childhood heroes. If they were your contemporaries, the chances are they look and move a whole lot better than you do. If they are more your parents' vintage you can feel comfortable seeing they have neither a musical nor style equivalent of a comb-over to pretend they are still "down with the kids".

It's not like the '80s when tragic figures, often hitherto unknown "blues legends" or still rattled casualties of the '60s, were flown (economy class) to Australia to pick up some pin money in the pubs. These days we have higher expectations, and those expectations are in the main met with quality sound, performers who cannot just stand up but give a fair approximation of their original moves and long, hit-filled shows.

The Who, or at least the half-Who - surviving members Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend with a band of some long-term and some recent additions - do that and more. Daltrey's foghorn of a voice still packs some heat, though he is no closer to being someone who can do sensitive or subtle. Townshend windmills his arms, leaps occasionally and, more importantly, can still play with precision and invention. The volume may not be Live At Leeds extremes but you may go home with your ears still ringing.

The least likely trouble spot with a band this rich in material is the songs, and not surprisingly the two-hour show (which unusually on this world tour did not have a second encore of Magic Bus) hit all bases. There was the killer early days opening trio of I Can't Explain, Substitute and Anyway Anyhow Anywhere; there was the synth-flecked mid-period songs such as Who Are You, You Better You Bet and Won't Get Fooled Again; there were Quadrophenia and Tommy brackets, and new songs both excellent (Real Good Looking Boy) and all right (Old Red Wine).

OK, we did have to deal with unnecessary and unnecessarily long (but hardly new) noodling in songs such as Sparks and Won't Get Fooled Again. But as a big rock show it was all professional and hard to find fault with.

Except for one thing, which could well be out of the band's control anyway. There was a curious lack of passion, of drama really, that would pull us into this show emotionally. Compared with tours in recent years by Who contemporaries Arthur Lee of Love, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys and Solomon Burke, this was, if not quite sterile, then at least one step removed from completely engaging.

Quibbling? Maybe. After all we got the songs and got them in style. But complete satisfaction remained elusive.
July 30th, 2004 10:28 AM
Jumping Jack The concessions needed to move a few more Fosters I guess.
July 30th, 2004 11:48 AM
Joey " Except for one thing, which could well be out of the band's control anyway. There was a curious lack of passion, of drama really, that would pull us into this show emotionally. Compared with tours in recent years by Who contemporaries Arthur Lee of Love, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys and Solomon Burke, this was, if not quite sterile, then at least one step removed from completely engaging. "

Total and COMPLETE B. S. ..............................

Ninea Abs Shae Monkee !

Ninea !

July 30th, 2004 02:27 PM
Gimme Shelter I'll be seeing them in Mountainview in August. I can't wait. The Who have rocked everytime I've seen them.
[Edited by Gimme Shelter]
July 30th, 2004 03:02 PM
jb Thanks Corgi!!!
July 30th, 2004 03:23 PM
Joey
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I'll be seeing them in Mountainview in August. I can't wait. The Who have rocked everytime I've seen them.

I'm Jealous .................................
August 2nd, 2004 03:14 AM
corgi37 I posted MY review. Got to within 3 rows from the front!
August 2nd, 2004 02:49 PM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I posted MY review. Got to within 3 rows from the front!

August 2nd, 2004 03:22 PM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I posted MY review. Got to within 3 rows from the front!