ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

LTU Arena, Dusseldorf 13th August 2007
© welt.de with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oh No Not Another Teacher In Space! Return to archive
1st August 2007 01:02 PM
gimmekeef Hopefully she will lay off the booze :

21 years after Challenger, a teacher gets her shot
By Traci Watson, USA TODAY
Wed Aug 1, 8:24 AM ET

By age 33, Barbara Morgan had taught school on an Indian reservation in the Rockies and in Ecuador's capital in the Andes. That did not quiet her longing for a classroom higher in the sky.

"I want to go on the space shuttle," Morgan wrote to NASA in 1985, applying to be the first teacher in orbit. "I want to get some stardust on me."

Her enthusiasm impressed NASA, but it picked high school teacher Christa McAuliffe instead, and Morgan as her backup. McAuliffe never made it to orbit: On Jan. 28, 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded just after liftoff, killing McAuliffe and six crewmates.

Next week, Morgan, now 55, finally gets her chance at some stardust. On Tuesday, she is scheduled to blast off on her first spaceflight - and America's first effort since Challenger to put a teacher in orbit.

NASA is playing down the flight's symbolism, and the impact of any teaching Morgan will do could be muted because most schools are on summer break. But her flight could give the space agency a public-relations boost at a time when it has been plagued by problems.

The breakup of shuttle Columbia in 2003 killed seven astronauts and raised questions about whether the shuttle program should continue. It eventually led the Bush administration to set NASA on a course to land on the moon again - and, later, Mars - using a new spacecraft.

This year, NASA has had to deal with an embarrassing astronaut love triangle, a computer meltdown on the International Space Station and a report from a panel probing astronauts' health that said unidentified astronauts drank heavily just before a launch on two occasions.

In a sense, Morgan's flight will be a reminder of a less complicated time at NASA, when shuttles had been flying for less than five years and McAuliffe's plan to make Challenger a satellite classroom for students across the nation reflected the program's educational ambitions.

In the years after Challenger, NASA's concerns about the shuttle's safety kept it from sending another teacher - Morgan - on a flight. Her hopes took another hit when the Columbia disaster grounded the fleet for 2½ years.

"It has taken a long time for NASA to fly another educator in space," concedes NASA spokeswoman Sonja Alexander, blaming the delay on management changes and the shuttle accidents. (A leak in Endeavour's cabin might extend Morgan's wait a bit. Engineers late Tuesday were searching for the leak and hope that fixing won't cause a delay, NASA's Bill Johnson says.)

McAuliffe and her crewmates are close to Morgan's thoughts. "I've definitely thought about Christa and the whole (Challenger) crew," she says. "They've been with us every day of training."

Morgan will ride on shuttle Endeavour, the $5 billion ship that replaced Challenger. Like McAuliffe, Morgan will sit in the middle seat on the ship's lower level. That's where most of the similarities end.

McAuliffe spent five months learning about spaceflight. She was to devote her time aboard Challenger to filming science lessons and teaching about life in space and the benefits of space travel.

Morgan's teaching will be limited to an hour of answering questions from schoolchildren. If time permits, she'll also make videos of the crew's activities to be incorporated into educational materials.

Morgan, a full-time astronaut since 1998, had two years of basic training in spacecraft systems. For seven years she has done astronaut jobs, such as serving as a "capcom," the link between Mission Control and crews in orbit. That allowed NASA to give her a long list of duties on this mission, not leaving much time for teaching.

The mission flight is "just another avenue" to inspire children, says William Gerstenmaier, NASA's top shuttle and station official. "I don't see this as a unique event."

Even so, Morgan's fellow astronauts say this won't be a routine flight. It will "be a time to remember that (Challenger) crew, Christa, and what that mission meant," says Endeavour astronaut Tracy Caldwell, "with Barb … carrying the torch for what that mission stood for."

1st August 2007 03:23 PM
glencar Godspeed, Miss Astronaut!
2nd August 2007 01:58 AM
Starbuck they asked me to go.

i couldn't make it. gig.
2nd August 2007 03:56 PM
JaggerLips That's what you got to do write a letter?
Send me to space, Send me to space, Send me to space.
To the tune of Send it To Me by the Stones.
3rd August 2007 07:12 PM
gorda Didn't y'all want to be an astronaut when you grew up?

3rd August 2007 07:20 PM
Saint Sway Oh man, I think the clock is slow
3rd August 2007 07:30 PM
Chuck I don't feel tardy
Class dismissed
4th August 2007 02:19 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
gorda wrote:
Didn't y'all want to be an astronaut when you grew up?

I did when I was too young to realise that there isn't a chance in Hell that I would ever get to be one. How times have changed, all you have to do is write the letter of your life and they may consider you? hahaha
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)