ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

LTU Arena, Dusseldorf 13th August 2007
© welt.de with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: AC/DC Top Dollar Aussie Rock Band Again Return to archive
31st July 2007 08:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AC/DC Top Dollar Aussie Rock Band Again
Sydney Morning Herald

So given that AC/DC inspires the title to this blog it's worth drawing your attention to what has become an annual ritual. The 2007 Business Review Weekly list of top earning Australian entertainers has once again named them as Australia's top-earning rock band. And this in spite of not having released a new album since 2000!

They still earned $18 million in the past year, selling three million records a year - helped of course by the 2003 release of the remastered versions of their 17 album back catalogue. That tops up the 150 million records that they've sold worldwide, putting them fifth after The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Eagles in all time record sales.

Their 1980 Back In Black album alone has sold 42 million copies, making it the biggest-selling album by any band ever. Last year they also sold over a million ringtones.

Of course, aside from the out-and-in again Phil Rudd, none of the band were actually born here, but they did form here so we still count them as our own. One of the things that we've always liked about them is that between albums and tours they just disappear, not being seen or heard of in the paparazzi pages or swanning around at celebrity parties and openings. Apparently the teetotal Angus just likes to sit around home drinking buckets of tea and smoking packets of cigarettes.

That basic down-to-earth style is what has made them and their music so universally attractive for so long, avoiding embarrassing excess or fleeting fashionability, keeping things simple and direct and somehow timeless and pure. They simply rock.

Once asked about the lack of ballads in their repertoire, Angus simply responded "What about She Got The Jack?"

Victoriously, after Bon's sad demise in 1980, no other band has replaced a lead singer under the spotlight with such success and style, maintaining their indelible identity and purity of musical vision throughout. Keep It Simple Stupid.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/noisepollution/archives/2007/07/ac_dc_top_dollar_aussie_rock_b.html?page=3#comments
31st July 2007 09:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >Their 1980 Back In Black album alone has sold 42 million copies, making it the biggest-selling album by any band ever.<

No small accomplishment. Considering all the bad taste in the world.
31st July 2007 10:06 PM
open-g
Here is a long video of Pantera, The Black Crowes, Metallica, AC/DC and an unknown Russain band performing in Moscow in 1991.

It runs 1:12 hour, and it's got quite some disturbing shots of police and army in it as that was a though time in Moscow '91.

I don't care much for Pantera and Metallica - No, I mean I don't like 'em at all - like in hate!

... but The Black Crowes at around 17:00 min and AC/DC at around 50:00 minutes is great to watch.

The video alowes you skip P. and M.

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-1648306492583625113
1st August 2007 07:13 AM
corgi37 So how many albums have the Stones sold? They aint even in the hunt, are they?
1st August 2007 10:50 AM
gimmekeef Well after Olivia Newton John packed it in..AC/DC have had it all there own way!
2nd August 2007 07:39 AM
corgi37 Technically, she aint Aussie either. Neither are the Bee Gees.
2nd August 2007 08:46 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Technically, she aint Aussie either. Neither are the Bee Gees.

Wow..suddenly I like Australia even more!......
2nd August 2007 09:07 AM
Jumping Jack
2nd August 2007 01:38 PM
Fuck! ofcourse they are, that's because they are the only australian rock band. lol

anyway, i hate eezydeezy
3rd August 2007 01:45 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Fuck! wrote:
ofcourse they are, that's because they are the only australian rock band. lol

anyway, i hate eezydeezy

Fuck No Fuck - check out Radio Birdman, The Saints, Nick cave and the Bad Seeds, the birthday party and more!!

corgi by your reasoning if ONJ and the Bee Gees are "technically" not Australian then you'd have to say that neither are AC/DC given the Young brothers are Scots - and Bon and the guy that took his place are/were both english
3rd August 2007 07:06 AM
corgi37 Well, yeah, i guess. But, Australia raised them. Angus & Malcolm's older brother, through the Easybeats, producing and writing, helped them. He got his chops here in Oz at Albert Studios. Also, Ac/Dc learnt performance here. Even Men at Work played dingy dives. Say what you like about their music, they were pretty good live. BTW, Colin Hay is Scottish!

Billy Thorpe was a Pom too!

Lotsa great Oz rock to add to your list, SIA. Not that i am huge fan of all, but their contribution must be recognised. Powderfinger, Kings of the Sun, Cold Chisel, Rose Tattoo, INXS, Diviynls, Hard On's, Hoodoo Gurus, Silverchair, Chain, Masters Apprentices, Skyhooks, The Angels. Little River Band, not my cup of tea for sure, but were massive in U.S. (and Glenn Shorrock is a Pom too) and the gay people's fave, Kylie Minogue.

I might add, Brian Cadd did the soundtrack for return of the living dead part 2.

Keith Urban is a Kiwi.

And, we must all, as a nation, stand proud in the knowledge that we were the 1st country to make ABBA #1!!

Also, Mick Jagger is 1/2 Aussie, as we all know.

Lead singer of that annoying band with the song "2 Princes" is from Australia. Cant recall their name, but they opened for the Stones once or twice in 1989.

Flea is Aussie! Melbourne born and bred and he barracks for Collingwood (like our esteemed pal, Daethgod).

[Edited by corgi37]
3rd August 2007 08:15 AM
open-g
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

Lead singer of that annoying band with the song "2 Princes" is from Australia. Cant recall their name, but they opened for the Stones once or twice in 1989.

[Edited by corgi37]

I think you mean the Spin Doctors.
...and Jet, they were quite good untill they went Beatles.
4th August 2007 08:38 AM
corgi37 Forgot about them. They are from the suburb next to me.

And Wolfmother! Though there are strong rumours, after all of 1 album, they might be breaking up.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)