ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

100 Club, London 31st May 1982
© Dave Hogan with Very special Thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A long life on the road takes a toll (NSC) Return to archive
10th August 2006 07:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels A long life on the road takes a toll
The Lowell Sun
8/7/06

Jorma Kaukonen is one musician who can really attest to the bodily wear and tear that musicians experience. He's the founding guitarist for Jefferson Airplane and the long-touring spinoff band Hot Tuna, which recently celebrated four decades of touring. Kaukonen and his Hot Tuna partner, Jack Casady, recently played Boarding House Park as part of the Lowell Summer Music Series. That's how they met Dr. Joe Fitzpatrick of Acton Chiropractic.

You've played the guitar since high school and performed since college. Did you notice the physical strain early on?

When you're a kid, when you're younger, you play endlessly and nothing really bothers you. But I'm going to be 66 this year, and that's life. But I'm stiffer now than I was five years ago. Thing about it is the guitar, it's not really an ergonomically friendly instrument -- it carries its own afflictions with it. Your shoulders sort of lean on it in a funny way. There are more or less correct plays to play the guitar -- having your foot on a stool, wearing good shoes -- but none of us like to do them because, let's face it: It doesn't look cool.

Describe what it's like to be on tour -- physically.

In most of our shows, we do two sets, and that's usually three hours or more. On tour, we can play 15 hours of music in five days. I play better sitting down -- I do that when I play the acoustic guitar -- but when I'm sitting down I'm all scrunched up over the guitar. When we're doing rock and roll, we're standing up, and ironically I think I hurt myself less when I'm standing up. For me, it tends to be hardest on my shoulders and neck.

So where does chiropractic care fit in?

I don't think there's any question about it -- I really should get adjustments. But I'm the kind of guy who never goes to the doctor unless I'm dying. If I was smart, I'd make it (chiropractic care) part of my travel. What the doctor got through to me is that (chiropractics) really work, and you don't have to really believe in this stuff to know it works. And that's not just a plug for Dr. Joe (Fitzpatrick, of Acton Chiropractic), though he's great. I told him, "If I lived within 100 miles (of your practice), I'd be there every week getting adjustments." It makes a huge difference.

What's the key to staying healthy on the road?

I'm not a sedentary person by any means -- I like to bike and walk -- but when I'm on the road I don't get as much exercise as I should. One thing I do do is go to the fitness centers in the hotels we stay in. And when I take the time to stretch after I exercise, and get a massage, everything runs a lot better. All the stuff dovetails together: When I do it, it makes me feel better.
10th August 2006 07:09 PM
lotsajizz I love Hot Tuna, always a good show...btw, I hear that long term guitarists, like pianists, are prone to carpal tunnel syndrome. Has there been any hint of this with Keith or Ronnie?
10th August 2006 08:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Has there been any hint of this with Keith or Ronnie?

Ha! Those two don't practice enough.
10th August 2006 08:24 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I hear that long term guitarists, like pianists, are prone to carpal tunnel syndrome.

Willie Nelson had surgery for carpal tunnel a couple of years ago.
Guess 200 shows a year for the last half century finally caught up with him.

Happy to report that he and Trigger are doing quite well these days.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)