ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

100 Club, London 31st May 1982
© Dave Hogan with Very special Thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GAZZA Or Any Bob Dylan Fan.... Return to archive
9th August 2006 11:37 PM
RollingstonesUSA This might be the stupidest question ever, but since I am just recently getting into Bob, what is his most "electric" album....many thanks
9th August 2006 11:46 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
This might be the stupidest question ever, but since I am just recently getting into Bob, what is his most "electric" album....many thanks

Highway 61 Revisited, IMHO.

The concert albums Before The Flood and Real Live are alternatives.

I still haven't listened Under The Red Sky entirely, though.
9th August 2006 11:47 PM
Zack I think it's safe to say all Dylan ablums have some acoustic and some electric parts.

I would start with Highway 61 Revisited, one of the greatest albums by any artist, ever, and in my opinion his best. Dylan has said the same about it.

Blonde on Blonde, Bringing It All Back Home, and Blood on the Tracks are also among the greatest by anyone. His breakthough second album Freewheelin' too, but that's all acoustic.
9th August 2006 11:52 PM
mojoman before the flood
10th August 2006 12:39 AM
Kilroy 61
10th August 2006 01:04 AM
Brainbell Jangler Infidels. It's not on the same level as Hwy. 61 and the other classics that have been listed, but it has some good guitar from Mick Taylor and Mark Knopfler.
10th August 2006 05:26 AM
Gazza Dont forget :

Love that cover photo. The music is as mean,moody and magnificent as that mugshot. Would YOU look him in the eye and tell him he cant sing?

A much underrated album of sheer, raw brilliance. The reworked 'Blood on the tracks' songs (performed in front of his ex-wife, who had turned up unannounced to 'confront' him over some recent 'dalliances') are especially raucous. To borrow a line from the incredible version of "Idiot wind" that closes the album, it captures him in all his 'raging glory'.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th August 2006 06:35 AM
Phog One of my favorite Dylan records is John Wesley Harding. Funnily enough, it's all acoustic. Everyone here has given you plenty of good choices.
10th August 2006 12:43 PM
gustavobala gazza (or other bob dylan´s fans)

did knows a album called JOKER? if positive, what have in this album?

WHO IS BETTER?:

nashville skyline 1969
self portrait 1970
planet waves 1974

thanxs!!!

ps- a friends says about a album called "live(live show)" but i don´t know what is this? did you knows?

thanxs a lot!
10th August 2006 12:47 PM
nanatod
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
WHO IS BETTER?:
nashville skyline 1969
self portrait 1970
planet waves 1974

I like planet waves the best of the three you mentioned, but that may not be a universally held opinion. Dylan rocks out on the second version of Forever Young, and on You Angel You.

I also like Nashville Skyline a lot, except for the single. Country Pie is uptempo, and I think Girl from the North Country is the only Cash / Dylan duet that I know of.
10th August 2006 12:53 PM
Starbuck speaking of dylan, who sings with him on "the boxer" off self portrait? that's not paul simon, is it?
10th August 2006 12:53 PM
Gazza Gusto

theres no official Dylan album called "Joker", although there is a bootleg of that name, consisting of studio material from the early/mid 60's

http://www.dylanbase.com/specificinfo.asp?albumID=221

Of the 3 albums you mentioned, I'd recommend Planet Waves most of all. I like the other two but for different reasons, but if youre relatively new to Dylan, Planet Waves would be the most accessible. Nashville Skyline is a straight country album, which features Lay Lady Lay, so if you know that song, thats what you can expect from the rest of the record. Self Portrait is a double LP (single CD) of mostly covers and a bit of an exercise in self indulgence whose merits divide Dylan fans greatly. Personally, I love it, but I would say most Bob fans wouldnt share that opinion.

I've never heard of that "Live" album - maybe it has an alternate title that I might be more familiar with?

[Edited by Gazza]
10th August 2006 12:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
speaking of dylan, who sings with him on "the boxer" off self portrait? that's not paul simon, is it?

Nope..its Bob himself!! A "duet" - "The Dylan Brothers", if you like.

Coincidentally enough, Simon has hinted in interviews that the subject of the song is actually (loosely) based on Dylan himself. The "whores on 7th avenue" maybe is a metaphor for the music business.
10th August 2006 12:57 PM
mojoman planet waves an excellent album one of my favorites.the wedding song just beautiful. nashville skyline a really different piece not in my top ten or even twenty though. self portrait a disc of dylan doin covers. some interesting but mostly throwaway. other great discs to get would be the basement tapes, desire and the live 66 tour disc from the bootleg series. the live rolling thunder is a good set also
10th August 2006 03:00 PM
gustavobala thanxs to nanatod, mojoman and the great Gazza:

yes, is that JOKER!!!! thanxs

who is better (in your opinion i ask because have in a small store near from my job:

the free...(i cannot remember)1963 or
the times....1964

and

world gone wrong 1993 or
time out 1997

thanxs in advance

10th August 2006 04:34 PM
nanatod
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
who is better (in your opinion i ask because have in a small store near from my job:
the times....1964

The Times They Are A Changin' has "When the Ship Comes In" and the title track, but overall, I prefer Freewheelin' to it.

Although I like both records, if you are talking about early Dylan, I'd go with Bringing It All Back Home over either of the two, because it has Subterranean Homesick Blues on it, as well as my second favorite Dylan song of all time, Maggie's Farm.
10th August 2006 04:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
thanxs to nanatod, mojoman and the great Gazza:

yes, is that JOKER!!!! thanxs

the times....1964

and

world gone wrong 1993 or
time out 1997

thanxs in advance

The Freewheelin Bob Dylan/Times they Are A Changin - theres not much between them

Time Out of Mind is easily better than World Gone Wrong. WGW is the 2nd in the series of acoustic albuma of old blues/folk covers (the first was Good As I Been to You). Both are quite good, but Time Out Of Mind is a superb return to former glories.
10th August 2006 06:06 PM
RollingstonesUSA What's his best 80's album....
10th August 2006 06:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
What's his best 80's album....

Oh Mercy

Shot of Love is underrated IMO, however

Of the rest - Infidels and Empire Burlesque have their moments but are let down slightly by the fact that he left some of the best songs off and are a bit overproduced, Knocked Out Loaded has little to redeem it apart from the magnificent "Brownsville girl" which you can get on "Greatest Hits Vol 3" anyway, 'Down In The Groove', 'Saved' and 'Dylan & The Dead' are all best forgotten, and 'Real Live' is a decent enough album from the '84 tour (with Taylor) but could have been better.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th August 2006 06:08 PM
RollingstonesUSA I am in love with Slow Train Coming!
[Edited by RollingstonesUSA]
10th August 2006 06:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
I am in love with Slow Train Coming!
[Edited by RollingstonesUSA]

A fine and musically beautiful record, underneath all the sanctimonious stuff.
10th August 2006 06:13 PM
RollingstonesUSA Sorry with all the questions,lol, and many thanks for all the info!

Which dvd concert or video should I start out with....
10th August 2006 06:15 PM
gustavobala thanxs Gazza and nanatod AGAIN!

ONE LAST QUESTION:

IF NEEDS TO CHOOSE JUST ONE BOB DYLAN´S ALBUM TO LISTEN IN A ISLAND, WHAT YOU PREFER?

sorry by the english!
10th August 2006 06:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
Sorry with all the questions,lol, and many thanks for all the info!

Which dvd concert or video should I start out with....

never a problem..always glad to help people out with Bob info

Theres not that many 'official' DVDs I'd recommend. The obvious ones would be 'No Direction Home' or 'Dont look Back' documentaries. Dylan concert DVDs are pretty limited - the 'Hard to handle' one with Tom Petty from Australia in 1986 is probably out of print (not even sure if it was released as a DVD) which only really leaves "MTV Unplugged" from 1994, although theres also the 30th anniversary concert celebration concert from MSG in 1992 (only 4 songs performed by Bob, but about 30 by others)

Lots of good unofficial ones if you can track them down however
10th August 2006 06:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
thanxs Gazza and nanatod AGAIN!

ONE LAST QUESTION:

IF NEEDS TO CHOOSE JUST ONE BOB DYLAN´S ALBUM TO LISTEN IN A ISLAND, WHAT YOU PREFER?

sorry by the english!

Blood On The Tracks for me - (possibly my favourite album of all time, along with Exile) although Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde would be equally worthy.
10th August 2006 08:24 PM
Paranoid_Android Bootleg series: 1966, is simply stated...INCREDIBLE!!! Taped in Manchester UK...this was Zimmy's first UK tour shortly after he "went electric"...the first disc is acoustic...the second is totally electric...the transformation is magical at times...

on a personal note...my club will be hosting the "official" CD realease party by CBS records for his new CD on Tues, Aug 22...1 week before the official release...I will be tending bar as well as managing that nite...I AM THRILLED!!!
11th August 2006 10:30 AM
gustavobala thanxs fellas, you are great!

you are our maps!!!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)