ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

100 Club, London 31st May 1982
© Dave Hogan with Very special Thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 top live poll Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th August 2006 11:03 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
what they need to do is stop hitting up the same markets over and over again for $500 tickets that are 100 yds away from the stage

In the wrds of the Bee Gees, "stayin alive"
10th August 2006 11:08 AM
Saint Sway

quote:
jb wrote:

In the wrds of the Bee Gees, "stayin alive"

10th August 2006 11:11 AM
jb Why does Gene Simmons, worth tens of millions of dollars, wear the worst toupee in rock? Wors than the guy in Quiet Riot, Paul Rogers, and the guiy from Steppin Wolf.
[Edited by jb]
10th August 2006 12:13 PM
texile
quote:
jb wrote:
Lets also not forget that U2 has about 1/3 the catalogue the Stones do. Sadly, unlike the Stones, they have cross marketed themsleves brilliantly. They also came to prminence in the 80's, where our boys were slagging each other and losing the last drop of creative juice they had. I personally dislike U2, but I fully understand why they have such wide appeal compared to the Stones. It goes much deeper than the ticket prices Bono is viewed as a 'savior" by many and unfirtunately, most people b/t the ages of 18-35, view the Stones in no great eer light than our generation viewed our parents music. I am confident in the long run, the Stones legaccy will be stronger, but at this time , much to my chargrin, U2 is actually more popular worldwide.

right on every count jb....
what's sad to me is that the stones at thier peak seem to have been forgotten..
yes, the stones have lost thier live edge but you're right -
thier legacy will stand greater in time.
u2 at thier best can never match the stones circa 72....
music-wise or performance-wise.....
10th August 2006 12:26 PM
Jumping Jack I denounce Bono the savior:

rom IORR:
Bono and U2 are moving to Holland so to pay less taxes than they actually do in Ireland.....

The amount the he and the band will save is 15 mio euro a year....

That's how much he cares about the rest of the society / the irish people / the poorer ones in Ireland... Probably the irish people could have some school / kindergardens for those money....

10th August 2006 12:29 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I denounce Bono the savior:

rom IORR:
Bono and U2 are moving to Holland so to pay less taxes than they actually do in Ireland.....

That's how much he cares about the rest of the society / the irish people / the poorer ones in Ireland... Probably the irish people could have some school / kindergardens for those money....

A fat, two-faced, hypocrite..
10th August 2006 12:34 PM
jb
quote:
texile wrote:

right on every count jb....
what's sad to me is that the stones at thier peak seem to have been forgotten..
yes, the stones have lost thier live edge but you're right -
thier legacy will stand greater in time.
u2 at thier best can never match the stones circa 72....
music-wise or performance-wise.....

Agreed...the media/fans never focus on their golden era when they simply were the best. Unfortunately, in the world of rock-n-roll, longevity does not necessarily translate into greater appreciation....
10th August 2006 01:45 PM
Poplar
quote:
jb wrote:
Sadly, unlike the Stones, they have cross marketed themsleves brilliantly. It goes much deeper than the ticket prices Bono is viewed as a 'savior" by many and unfirtunately, ..

I think some of you people are SERIOUSLY overestimating the savior factor in U2's popularity. I grew up with U2, and really love 'em (not like the stones, but I love 'em) but it has nothing to do with Bono's extra-curricular activities. Also... i'm sorry, but accessability (ie: ticket prices) has a hell fo a lot to do with generating excitement among young fans. No way can the average teenager/20 something afford good seats at Stones prices. That's just lethal when it comes to breeding new a generation of real Stones fans.

10th August 2006 01:48 PM
jb I;m sorry to hear that................
10th August 2006 01:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I denounce Bono the savior:

rom IORR:

100% wrong (but then considering the source of the quote, no surprise as his obsession with U2 is quite bizarre to say the least). Theyre not "moving" to Holland - but transferring some of their business interests there for tax reasons , as the Stones did.

and the notion of someone in Denmark being in a position to pontificate to anyone about poverty in Ireland is pretty ludicrous - not to mention any assumption on what someone may or may not choose to do with the money saved or donate to charity (something which theyve actually done a LOT of).

Personally, if I was given the chance of saving a few million in taxes legally, I'd jump at it - who wouldnt? And given the choice between donating a chunk of that to charitable causes or to a government where I would have no say in what it was used for, it would be no contest.

Bono has one fifth of the 'vote' in any business decision U2 makes, so I doubt its all down to him anyway.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th August 2006 02:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:

I think some of you people are SERIOUSLY overestimating the savior factor in U2's popularity. I grew up with U2, and really love 'em (not like the stones, but I love 'em) but it has nothing to do with Bono's extra-curricular activities. Also... i'm sorry, but accessability (ie: ticket prices) has a hell fo a lot to do with generating excitement among young fans. No way can the average teenager/20 something afford good seats at Stones prices. That's just lethal when it comes to breeding new a generation of real Stones fans.

absolutely right on all counts. I know loads of U2 fans and I dont know any who dont take a lot of his schtick as somewhat tongue in cheek and full of self mockery. Maybe its something thats lost in some translation when seen overseas - or else its just the more paranoid of Stones fans who dont get it.

Ticket prices are the same old story. Loads of young people running around Nice on the day after the show proudly sporting a wide variety of Stones t-shirts. youre not going to get that when youre asking their parents to fork out a week's wage to buy them a concert ticket as is the case in some countries where their fanbase is aging and not being replaced
[Edited by Gazza]
10th August 2006 02:17 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

absolutely right on all counts. I know loads of U2 fans and I dont know any who dont take a lot of his schtick as somewhat tongue in cheek and full of self mockery. Maybe its something thats lost in some translation when seen overseas - or else its just the more paranoid of Stones fans who dont get it.

Ticket prices are the same old story. Loads of young people running around Nice on the day after the show proudly sporting a wide variety of Stones t-shirts. youre not going to get that when youre asking their parents to fork out a week's wage to buy them a concert ticket as is the case in some countries where their fanbase is aging and not being replaced
[Edited by Gazza]

The shirts this tour suck...the only thing I like is my Tatto You blanky!!!
10th August 2006 02:25 PM
egon
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I don't know why, but clowns freak me out.

FREAK ME OUT i say!
10th August 2006 02:28 PM
jb Ronald McDonald is no clown-he is part of the aMERICAN FUCKING WAY!!!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)