ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

100 Club, London 31st May 1982
© Dave Hogan with Very special Thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why all the hate for Miss You? Return to archive Page: 1 2
8th August 2006 01:20 PM
texile it's a classic, thier last masterpeice in my opinion....
and it still resonates on vinyl.
but it's become just another warhorse -
like pdog said, the some girls and live 78 versions were fucking amazing but its one of those songs that has lost its urgency.....
it used to sound like an emotional confession, now it just sounds horny...and by-the-numbers.
without passion - it has no place live.
10th August 2006 02:26 PM
polytoxic The problem is the live versions these days don't have the groove that made the single so much fun. It should be all rhythm, the four on the floor beat with those great loping bass lines, instead of the mess it turns into these days. It's a dance number you can't dance to when played live. What's the point of a disco tune if you can't dance to it? The same fate has fallen on a lot of other Stones tunes that, while not disco like Miss You, used to be quite danceable. Honky Tonk Women comes to mind. And as mentioned earlier in this thread, It's Only Rock'N'Roll, which just doesn't carry that hip-swinging lazy groove that made the studio version so seductive. Ditto for Brown Sugar.
[Edited by polytoxic]
[Edited by polytoxic]
10th August 2006 02:33 PM
Gazza Miss You is a great, great song - the abuse given to it in recent years because its been played to death has seen the original version become unjustly overlooked. Bill Wyman's finest hour IMO.

However, when played on any tour post 1982, its invariably not played very well, way too long (Bridges being the absolute nadir) and used as a prop for some gimmick or bit of self indulgence or another.

Unfortunately with this current stageshow being put together the way it is, its the one song that when played in any arena or stadium that has a b-stage thats the most unlikely to be dropped. Its not so much a song anymore but a soundtrack to a gimmick. A waste.

On the few occasions they played it on Licks, it wasnt that bad actually - seemed to be more stripped down than before.

It was ironic that after seeing another performance-by-numbers version of it in Nice 2 days ago, we were driving home from the airport last night and the original version came on the radio. Pleasant memories of a great era when i was first really getting into the Stones in a big way.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th August 2006 02:53 PM
Saint Sway Gazza nailed it.

not just Miss You though. I think if they played all their hits less and sprinkled them in occassionally then it would rejuvinate life back into them (like w/MU on Licks)

if they dropped Satisfaction from the set. And then sprung it on us out of nowhere one show we'd all love it. Its just when stuff is beaten to death that they get stale.

they have so many huge hit songs that they could rotate a DIFFERENT 10 of them in and out EACH night with no problem and even the casual 40 Licks only fan would still love the show.
10th August 2006 02:56 PM
jb Miss You=Night Time......filler that serves no purpose. Only good versions in 78.
10th August 2006 03:00 PM
glencar 81's version was awesome!
10th August 2006 03:52 PM
polytoxic Hmmm. Some '81 versions still have an interminable jam for a coda. Miss You is not a weaving song, IMO, and the sax solo...who gives a f**k I say. Maybe there some good ones from '81, but I'd have to second JB's notion that the only decent live versions were from '78. But I'd still take the '81 version over the way they sleepwalk through it now.
10th August 2006 04:07 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
they have so many huge hit songs that they could rotate a DIFFERENT 10 of them in and out EACH night with no problem and even the casual 40 Licks only fan would still love the show.

They are not being paid enough to do that sort of work.
10th August 2006 04:14 PM
polytoxic That is, how you say....outstanding postin'.
10th August 2006 05:57 PM
glencar She's in the Top Ten of posting!
10th August 2006 07:39 PM
PolkSalad you can hear lindsey alexander do it at the mines, phil guy does it too
10th August 2006 07:56 PM
glencar Hey Polk! You making the scene this year? Go to Maxy's site(www.maxlugar.com) for pertinent details...You need to register to read the Chicago summit info.
10th August 2006 08:13 PM
not bound to please
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hey Polk! You making the scene this year? Go to Maxy's site(www.maxlugar.com) for pertinent details...You need to register to read the Chicago summit info.

Thank you kindly Blue.

yes - Polk do attend.
10th August 2006 09:55 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hey Polk! You making the scene this year? Go to Maxy's site(www.maxlugar.com) for pertinent details...You need to register to read the Chicago summit info.

I'll check it out, thanks...
10th August 2006 10:40 PM
east_river_trucker
quote:
glencar wrote:
81's version was awesome!

These words he speaks are true. It was, in my opinon, the high point of that tour - along with Take the A Train bleeding into the Under My Thumb riff. The way that Mick worked the crowd during that song was pure unadulteraded Mick Jagger - in his early thirties and at the absolute top of his game as a live performer.

The reason it sucks now is because Bill Wyman isn't playing bass on it. Well that and the fact that it gets played for ever Stone's promo ever done, played at every Mick Jagger vanity record launching party, every Mick Jagger solo concert, every charity event ever played, ad infinitum. This song should have been dropped after 81 - along with Wyman's workout suit, Ronnie's plastic jacket, Richard's skinny black newwave tie, and Mick's yellow tights.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)