ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: See you in Atlanta Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 10th, 2005 10:48 PM
USFan I've decided, despite the Stones betraying their fans and playing on our fears by spitting anti-presidential rhetoric for no reason on their latest album, to attend the Atlanta show on 10/15 since I already bought tickets anyway. I will not be buying "A Bigger Bang." Anyway, expect a very patriotic, pro-America atmosphere that night. The Stones won't be swooping into the deep south and holding an anti-Bush rally, I can tell you that much, and expect a rude awakening at the show if you want to promote that despicable behavior.

We paid money to see a great concert by a great band. We did not pay money to hear any Bush bashing or commentary by drugged-out, uneducated people with microphones. If it turns into that, expect a firm response from the good people of Georgia, who do not subscribe to the New York Times, go to Starbucks, or save trees in their free time.

See you in Atlanta.
August 10th, 2005 11:09 PM
BILL PERKS DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO ?
August 10th, 2005 11:11 PM
USFan Yes, and I'm very saddened that I have to spend any time telling the Rolling Stones to shut the f**k up about politics and just play music. I pay money for their records and tours just like you and have every right to demand responsible behavior from these guys. So back off.
August 10th, 2005 11:12 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
USFan wrote:
I've decided, despite the Stones betraying their fans and playing on our fears by spitting anti-presidential rhetoric for no reason on their latest album, to attend the Atlanta show on 10/15 since I already bought tickets anyway.

What a hypocrite... I hope Rumsfeld gave you enough $$$ to buy front row ticks... What a tool you are!
August 10th, 2005 11:13 PM
beer You dont have the right to demand anything from the Stones. Don't buy the album, don't go to the show.

-
August 10th, 2005 11:16 PM
USFan If I don't have any right to tell the Stones to stop using their influence to promote causes they don't understand, why do they have the right, as Englishmen, to come to my country and protest what MY elected government run by my tax money is doing? The only hypocrit is you - go shoot some H with Keith and pretend you understand world events.
August 10th, 2005 11:17 PM
USFan And I will be at the show, and if the Stones try to pull any political bullsh*t, you will know who I am right away. They won't have the guts to say it anyway, you don't march into Georgia and start telling these people how to live their lives unless you have the Union army behind you.
August 10th, 2005 11:17 PM
Taptrick USFAN: here is some advice. If you are new to the board just slow down and watch for a while....or if the politics gets on your nerves try the Shidoobee board as politics are not allowed over there. I found Rocks Off to be a harsher board. People will get right back in your face and call you on stuff, and that's not a bad thing. Sometimes you need the debate and it gets fun. Just don't be redundant, don't say the same thing over and over, and stop repeating yourself...did I already say that?

[Edited by Taptrick]
August 10th, 2005 11:19 PM
beer
quote:
USFan wrote:
And I will be at the show, and if the Stones try to pull any political bullsh*t, you will know who I am right away.

What are you gonna do? Rush the stage?! Throw a fit?

-
August 10th, 2005 11:20 PM
USFan Taptrick, I appreciate the goodwill gesture and the words of advice. I think I can handle myself fine. I am not bomb-throwing or calling people names, I am simply asking why the Rolling Stones are preaching politics instead of entertaining us. I love this band and I'm shocked that they would fall into the trap that so many clueless entertainers have of late.
August 10th, 2005 11:22 PM
Angiegirl Or, mybe, WALK OUT?? Shivering.

Listen man, I can understand you don't like the Stones expressing a view which is obviously against your own, but sweet jesus or whoever, talking about overreacting! Just cool down ok. It's just one song, it's just one view. Don't make it bigger than it is.
August 10th, 2005 11:23 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
USFan wrote:
Taptrick, I appreciate the goodwill gesture and the words of advice. I think I can handle myself fine. I am not bomb-throwing or calling people names, I am simply asking why the Rolling Stones are preaching politics instead of entertaining us. I love this band and I'm shocked that they would fall into the trap that so many clueless entertainers have of late.

August 10th, 2005 11:23 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
USFan wrote:
I am simply asking why the Rolling Stones are preaching politics instead of entertaining us.

Well, you can ask and keep asking that, but the only ones who'll have an answer is the Stones. So no point repeating that to the fans imo.
August 10th, 2005 11:25 PM
USFan I agree that this isn't to the level of the idiotic bands who participated in the failed "Vote For Change" tour last year, but I'm especially shocked at this because I was always so refreshed that the Stones stayed silent about world issues they don't understand. The buzz is that this move was calculated to increase sales in the U.S. and I'm not sure I subscribe to that, but either way, it's stunning for the Stones to be so shallow and predictable as this. I knew the Stones wouldn't be hawks or Bush lovers and I didn't give two sh!ts, but when they put a song on their new album I was excited about buying that changes matters a bit. You should feel the same way, regardless of your views. THE STONES ARE MUSICIANS, NOT POLITICANS.
August 10th, 2005 11:27 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
USFan wrote:
...but I'm especially shocked at this because I was always so refreshed that the Stones stayed silent about world issues they don't understand.

Really...?
August 10th, 2005 11:28 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
USFan wrote:
I agree that this isn't to the level of the idiotic bands who participated in the failed "Vote For Change" tour last year, but I'm especially shocked at this because I was always so refreshed that the Stones stayed silent about world issues they don't understand. The buzz is that this move was calculated to increase sales in the U.S. and I'm not sure I subscribe to that, but either way, it's stunning for the Stones to be so shallow and predictable as this. I knew the Stones wouldn't be hawks or Bush lovers and I didn't give two sh!ts, but when they put a song on their new album I was excited about buying that changes matters a bit. You should feel the same way, regardless of your views. THE STONES ARE MUSICIANS, NOT POLITICANS.

Dude, get a clue! Your ignorance of the Stones shows!

August 10th, 2005 11:28 PM
parmeda Monkey Woman! ...you forgot this!!!

August 10th, 2005 11:33 PM
Lazy Bones
August 10th, 2005 11:39 PM
time is on my side
quote:
USFan wrote:
I've decided, despite the Stones betraying their fans and playing on our fears by spitting anti-presidential rhetoric for no reason on their latest album, to attend the Atlanta show on 10/15 since I already bought tickets anyway. I will not be buying "A Bigger Bang." Anyway, expect a very patriotic, pro-America atmosphere that night. The Stones won't be swooping into the deep south and holding an anti-Bush rally, I can tell you that much, and expect a rude awakening at the show if you want to promote that despicable behavior.

We paid money to see a great concert by a great band. We did not pay money to hear any Bush bashing or commentary by drugged-out, uneducated people with microphones. If it turns into that, expect a firm response from the good people of Georgia, who do not subscribe to the New York Times, go to Starbucks, or save trees in their free time.

See you in Atlanta.

Hey are you trying to give my city a bad name??? I'm one of those good people in Georgia and don't happen to share your opinions. In the Atlanta I'm familiar with, we welcome beliefs from all across the political spectrum. They believe people should GET UP STAND UP FOR THEIR RIGHTS. You seem to have an intolerance for people who don't agree with yours. Why is that??? Don't you know this country was founded on the belief of free expression???? Dissent and opposition to those who hold power should always be allowed. Don't you know that's how freedom is maintained???? As an American I thought you knew this. As an Atlantan, I'm ashamed of your intolerance to other people's beliefs.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 10th, 2005 11:51 PM
USFan I have absolutely no intolerance to the beliefs of others. I read the outrageously liberal New York Times every morning and watch the left-wing lunacy of MSNBC frequently, so it's clear you've just made a stereotype of your own. My point is that me and most other music fans DO NOT PAY MONEY TO HEAR ENTERTAINERS PREACH POLITICS TO US. We pay good money to go to concerts to escape the difficulties of everyday life, have a few drinks, and enjoy ourselves. Why, as a Stones fan, do I now have to go to this concert worrying if Mick will ruin it by chanting hate speech against George Bush or playing this song? And if you don't think the majority of Georgians will agree with me, you're absolutely in denial.
August 10th, 2005 11:55 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
USFan wrote:
I have absolutely no intolerance to the beliefs of others. I read the outrageously liberal New York Times every morning and watch the left-wing lunacy of MSNBC frequently, so it's clear you've just made a stereotype of your own. My point is that me and most other music fans DO NOT PAY MONEY TO HEAR ENTERTAINERS PREACH POLITICS TO US. We pay good money to go to concerts to escape the difficulties of everyday life, have a few drinks, and enjoy ourselves. Why, as a Stones fan, do I now have to go to this concert worrying if Mick will ruin it by chanting hate speech against George Bush or playing this song? And if you don't think the majority of Georgians will agree with me, you're absolutely in denial.

Spin, spin, little troll, spin like a kitten's woolly ball...

"absolutely no intolerance to the beliefs of others", "the outrageously liberal New York Times" (oh, yeah, the one who helped Bush and Rumsfeld sell the "Iraq has WMD" story...), and "we" everywhere when it's all about poor li'l YOU?

Hey, don't go to the show if you don't like the songs! Sell away your ticket to a lefty! Quit whining or you'll make the Bushies look like girlie men!
August 11th, 2005 12:09 AM
time is on my side
quote:
USFan wrote:
I have absolutely no intolerance to the beliefs of others. I read the outrageously liberal New York Times every morning and watch the left-wing lunacy of MSNBC frequently, so it's clear you've just made a stereotype of your own. My point is that me and most other music fans DO NOT PAY MONEY TO HEAR ENTERTAINERS PREACH POLITICS TO US. We pay good money to go to concerts to escape the difficulties of everyday life, have a few drinks, and enjoy ourselves. Why, as a Stones fan, do I now have to go to this concert worrying if Mick will ruin it by chanting hate speech against George Bush or playing this song? And if you don't think the majority of Georgians will agree with me, you're absolutely in denial.

I'm NOT going to get into a political pissing contest with you because I find your arguments painfully immature. First of all, don't you know that we allow freedom of expression in this country???? Shouldn't make any difference if it's a musician, writer, artist, or construction worker. Each person, including foreigners, should be allowed the right to speak their mind whether it be in the form of a speech, a book, a painting, and, yes, a song. So what gives??? Why are you in favor of censorship???? That not America. We are home of the free. I thought you knew this.

MOST ATLANTANS DON'T AGREE WITH YOU. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THAT, IT'S YOU WHO ARE IN DENIAL

By the way, where was all this outrage when Toby Keith came out with what was preceived by many as kind of a pro Bush song in reaction to 9-11???? I don't recall hearing from you then. By the way, I had no problem with that song just as i have no problem with neo con.

PLEASE QUIT SPAMMING THIS BOARD WITH MULTIPLE THREADS WHEN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME SUBJECT .

Be considerate of other people.

Thanks and good night

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 11th, 2005 12:12 AM
USFan Thanks for displaying your ignorance. Now, go back and find the post where I call for censorship of the Stones or demand that they're thrown in jail. You won't find it. I'm saying I'm outraged by the gall they have to try to shove their naive and uneducated views back down our throats when we are the people who have been financially supporting their success for all these years. I know you know that 99% of music fans are not rabid about music because they want to hear the political opinions of entertainers.

At no time would I ever advocate a suppression of the Stones' freedom of expression. But if they step out of line, which they clearly have here, they will have to suffer the consequences and be held to the same standard they are holding politicians. I vote in an election, I have the right to criticize the winner. I pay for a record or invest time and money in a band, I definitely have the right to call them out on this bullsh!t.
August 11th, 2005 12:15 AM
beer Have you heard the song "Sweet Neocon??

Have you?

How is anything being shoved down your throat?

-
August 11th, 2005 12:16 AM
USFan Yes, I have heard the song.
August 11th, 2005 12:17 AM
beer post the lyrics. post the mp3.

-
August 11th, 2005 12:20 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
USFan wrote:
I'm saying I'm outraged by the gall they have to try to shove their naive and uneducated views back down our throats when we are the people who have been financially supporting their success for all these years.

Don't support the album. Don't buy it. It's that simple. You've plainly stated that all you're offering is your personal opinion. Why don't you do the only 'personal' thing you can do and not support them.

Oh, sorry, you're seeing them in Atlanta. That wouldn't make you a hypocrite, now, would it?
August 11th, 2005 12:21 AM
USFan Not in the least. I bought the tickets long before I had any knowledge this song will be on the record.

Plus, is a Republican going to see a Democrat speak in public hypocritical? No, it's called broadening your horizons.
August 11th, 2005 12:37 AM
time is on my side
quote:
USFan wrote:
Not in the least. I bought the tickets long before I had any knowledge this song will be on the record.

Plus, is a Republican going to see a Democrat speak in public hypocritical? No, it's called broadening your horizons.

Then why is it, whether they be Republican or Democrat, look upon your posting as very narrow thinking???? WHY DO YOU HAVE NO CONSIDERATION OF OTHER PEOPLE.

Look if the Stones writing this one song (you did say they had the right to write it didn't you???) has caused this kind of outrage, you could always sell the concert ticket at face value. It's SOLD OUT so it should be an easy ticket to sell. As a matter or principle you can always burn it. How much did you pay for it???
August 11th, 2005 12:46 AM
USFan Thanks, I don't need you to tell me how to adhere to my principles. And how is livening up the boring, predictable "hey guys what was the setlist tonight" and "hey when is the new album coming out" monotones of this board showing no consideration for anyone? Last time I checked, all my posts are generating responses. Your arguments are so laughably paper-thin they're putting me to sleep.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)