ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How The Glimmer Twins Got Their Groove Back (Track-By-Track Album Review) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
August 3rd, 2005 01:04 AM
StickyExile They may still be the greatest live rock'n'roll band in the world, but nobody expects much from a new Rolling Stones studio album these days. Indeed, it's eight years since the last one - 1997's Bridges To Babylon - and after the four patchy new tracks that appeared on 2002's Forty Licks compilation, they would never make get around to making another studio record.

Yet when Uncut suggested to Mick Jagger at the end of 2003 that the Stones had become a touring-only band like The Grateful Dead towards the end of their career, it was clear that his pride was wounded by the suggestion. "No, I think the Stones have to make another studio album," he insisted.

Now finally they've gone and done it with 'A Bigger Bang', a title which apparently reflects their "Fascination with the scientific theory about the origin of the universe." A notion which raises intriguing images of Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie sitting around the studio reading Stephen Hawking for inspiration.

Co-produced by Don Was and the band, the album was recorded in sessions in Paris at the end of 2004 and spring/early summer this year and mixed in Los Angeles. It contains 16 new Jagger-Richards compositions, which length-wise at least, puts the album in the bracket of Exile On Main Street (18 tracks) rather than Let It Bleed (nine tracks) or Beggar's Banquet and Sticky Fingers (10 tracks).

What's more, it is surely their last studio album. Given the long gaps between albums these days, the Stones will be in their 70s before another is due. So there might be a couple more tours but there surely won't be another studio record.

Early indications suggest that with this is mind, the Stones have defied the odds and raised their game to produce one last great album. There's none of the trendy fripperies that characterised Jagger's last solo album 'Goddess In The Doorway', no programming or borrowing from dance music or any other modern passing fad or fashion. As one Stones' employee puts it, 'They decided to borrow from themselves instead'. For the first time in years, sources say, Jagger and Richards wrote in tandem and the result is the most organic-sounding album they've made in decades.

Due for release on September 5, this is what Uncut has been able to piece together about an album that might be subtitled 'How The Glimmer Twins Got Their Groove Back'...

Rough Justice
A kick-ass rocker, full of animal imagery about roosters, chickens, cocks,
foxes and even a bat out of hell. At one point, Mick sings "put your lips
to my hips and tell me what's on your mind".

Let Me Slow Down
One of the best tune on the record, with a great femme fatale lyric
("there's a swish in your step and a gleam in your eye") and a dramatic
chorus with a lovely descending melody, "I said baby, baby, baby, let me
down real slow.''

It Won't Take Long
Classic "Heart Of Stone" style Mick put-down lyrics as he tells the girl
he'll soon forget her, accompanied by great dual guitar work form Keith
and Ronnie.

Rain Fell Down
A touch of New Orleans funk and a circular, clanging Meters-style guitar
motif from Keith. Chugs along rather like Dylan's "Slow Train Coming".

Streets Of Love
Starts with mock-Renaissance guitar chords, like "Lady Jane" or "Tears Go By", and builds into a big stadium ballad, with Mick deliciously mouthing lyrics about stalking the streets of love and confessing ''I must admit I was
awful bad. . .''

The Back Of My Hand
Raw and dirty blues, fantastic slide guitar, wailing harmonica, Mick yelping like a cat on heat. The ghost Of Muddy Waters walks.

This Place Is Empty
Great piano-led ballad sung by Keith but very rootsy. Real honky-tonk-style
tack piano and Keith crooning ''treat me sweet and cruel".

She Saw Me Coming
Mick on the prowl again - only this time his prey was wise to the old
predator's tricks.

Biggest Mistake
Mick admits to making an error? Surely some mistake. Needless to say
there's a girl at the bottom of it...

Oh No, Not You Again
Storming Sticky Fingers-era rocker with a lyric about ''Oh no not you again, fuckin' up my life...'' previewed in the band's surprise live set on the balcony of New York's Juilliard School when they announced their new tour in May.

Dangerous Beauty
Mid-tempo track on which Mick explains how he could always resist everything but temptation.

Laugh I Nearly Died
A simmering mid-tempo groove with Mick sounding more impassioned than in years - "Been travelling far and wide, wondering who's gonna be my guide... I'm so sick and tired... I feel so despised... Laugh? Laugh? Laugh? I nearly died."

Sweet Neo Con
The biggest surprise. We thought Mick was an old Thatcherite. But here he
sticks it to Bush and co right between the eyes. ''You say you are a Christian , I think you are a hypocrite,'' he spits in the opening line to a tune a little like Dylan's "Masters Of War", while the chorus sneers, ''How come you're so wrong, my sweet neo-con.'' A Virgin spokeswoman in the US has already put out a panicky statement denying it's about Bush or anyone on the White House (can't risk upsetting Clear Channel, can we?). But if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Look What The Cat Dragged In
Another rocker with a classic riff and typical Jagger lyric.

Driving Too Fast
Keith in overdrive on a pounding riff that rocks like its 1971.

Infamy
The album ends with Keith stepping up to the mic again for his second wasted-sounding vocal of the album.
August 3rd, 2005 01:10 AM
beer sorry, but the album has already been dismissed. jb says it's a bust.

cancel the tour..better luck next time.

-
August 3rd, 2005 01:19 AM
Monkey Woman But to help the sales along, the album has had the label "Explicit lyrics" tacked on!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A7Q27I/qid=1123046069/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-9971806-2932720

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 3rd, 2005 01:26 AM
corgi37 So Keith sings 3 songs? And closes the album again.

Bring this bitch home, i'm ready to rock.
August 3rd, 2005 01:40 AM
Monkey Woman Three tracks? You mean "Driving Too Fast"? The article says "Keith in overdrive on a pounding riff that rocks like its 1971" but it may just refer about the guitar playing.

Anyway, it sounds good!

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 3rd, 2005 02:09 AM
pdog I'm jumping around the house humping the furniture, lamps and the walls...
August 3rd, 2005 03:13 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm jumping around the house humping the furniture, lamps and the walls...

better buy a fly swatter
August 3rd, 2005 03:29 AM
Jumacfly today begins for me with a massive erection...
August 3rd, 2005 03:57 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
today begins for me with a massive erection...

It would be better if your day ends with one
August 3rd, 2005 04:09 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

LOL...I hope so!!
August 3rd, 2005 05:24 AM
exile sOUNDS VERY PROMISING
August 3rd, 2005 07:42 AM
Daethgod thanks man

what a great read !

i still cant wait for that first time buzz of hearing NEW STones stuff

bring it on

August 3rd, 2005 07:42 AM
Nellcote Wicked Pissa!
Thanks for the 411
August 3rd, 2005 09:53 AM
gimmekeef Each new article seems to confirm that there's great depth to this new one.A real effort by the band to pull one last rabbit outta the hat.So far so good...I personally was hoping Infamy would be a little more impactfull but until I hear it will reserve judgement of course...."How can you be so wrong my sweet Neo-Con"!!!!!!!....The Foxxies at Fox News will be all over this one very soon....cant wait for the album!!!
August 3rd, 2005 10:08 AM
egon so this is surely their last album...?
August 3rd, 2005 10:36 AM
FPM C10 ''You say you are a Christian , I think you are a hypocrite,''

ALRIGHT!!! This is fooking GREAT. If I had to pick ONE thing to criticize these bastards for, this would be it - they jumped on the Christian bandwagon to assure themselves votes, yet the main things they stand for - pre-emptive war and siding with the filthy rich to the detriment of the poor - are completely and stridently ANTI-Christian.

"This is an impressive crowd - the haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite; I call you my base." George W. Bush

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matthew 19:24)

And that's just the FIRST LINE of the song!

Ah, how great is this - I can rag on Bush and it's not off-topic!!!

I am SO looking forward to getting this album.
August 3rd, 2005 10:48 AM
corgi37 It is easier for a man to masturbate himself, than trying to get a woman to do it. For, behold, she doth tug too damn hard and fast.
(Corgi - Verse2, paragraph 11, old book)
August 3rd, 2005 12:17 PM
texile i hear you c10 - this is VERY promising!
if that first line is any indication.........i can't fucking wait.
August 3rd, 2005 12:27 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
today begins for me with a massive erection...

ROTFLMAO! Then we'll wish you both, Ju!
August 3rd, 2005 12:49 PM
The_Worst
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
''You say you are a Christian , I think you are a hypocrite,''

ALRIGHT!!! This is fooking GREAT. If I had to pick ONE thing to criticize these bastards for, this would be it - they jumped on the Christian bandwagon to assure themselves votes, yet the main things they stand for - pre-emptive war and siding with the filthy rich to the detriment of the poor - are completely and stridently ANTI-Christian.

"This is an impressive crowd - the haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite; I call you my base." George W. Bush

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matthew 19:24)

And that's just the FIRST LINE of the song!

Ah, how great is this - I can rag on Bush and it's not off-topic!!!

I am SO looking forward to getting this album.

FPM,

That line was mentioned over a month ago... My question is why would Jagger call Bush "Sweet" Neo-con? Sounds female to me...It's probably Condie then... I knew it was only a matter of time before you started spewing your hatred again today when I saw that review... Don't jerk yourself off too hard today...
August 3rd, 2005 01:23 PM
Scottfree
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
''You say you are a Christian , I think you are a hypocrite,''

Wel don't want to make this a flame war as this has been "the issue" for a couple of years. Is it/was it right for christians to sit idley by as Saddam slaughtered 100's of thousands of his own people? Pre-emptive? How is it pre-emptive when Iraq had fired on the US in the agreed upon no-fly zone over 400 times, that in itself is reason to lay seige. Siding with the filthy rich? How about the eminent domain ruling recentley backed by the leftist of the Supreme Court?
August 3rd, 2005 01:37 PM
FPM C10
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

FPM,

That line was mentioned over a month ago...

Sorry. It's the first I heard it.

quote:
The_Worst wrote:
My question is why would Jagger call Bush "Sweet" Neo-con? Sounds female to me...It's probably Condie then...

I don't really think of Condi as someone who's is totally subverting the teachings of Christ. She's just a yes-man.
I think ACTUALLY it's probably NOT directed AT Bush or Condi, but rather about some deluded follower of theirs. (tries to choke back smug laughter...fails) Evidently a hot lady neo-con. Is there such a thing? I can't imagine it myself.

quote:
The_Worst wrote:
I knew it was only a matter of time before you started spewing your hatred again today when I saw that review...

Ah, but the difference is...TODAY I'm on topic! I'm discussing the lyrics of a Stones song! Wait till I hear the rest of them!

Too bad they didn't write a song about how great the war in Iraq is, or how oil is worth more than blood. Then YOU could gloat!

August 3rd, 2005 01:56 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Scottfree wrote:

Is it/was it right for christians to sit idley by as Saddam slaughtered 100's of thousands of his own people?

I don't know. Maybe you should ask Ronald Reagan, since the big massacre that's always brought up as a reason for the war happened in 1988. Oops! He's DEAD! Well, then maybe you could ask Donald Rumsfeld. He set up the deal that gave Saddam the weapons he used for the massacre.

I wonder...when US forces ransacked all of Saddam's palaces, did they find the gold spurs that Reagan gave to Saddam as a present in 1984? He sent them over with Rummy on one of his visits.

quote:
Scottfree wrote:
Pre-emptive? How is it pre-emptive when Iraq had fired on the US in the agreed upon no-fly zone over 400 times, that in itself is reason to lay seige.

We're not talking about "laying siege". The no-fly zone was part of a siege. But don't ask ME how it's pre-emptive, ask George Bush! There isn't any debate about whether or not the war was pre-emptive! I think even Sean Hannity would agree wih me on that one! And pre-emptive war, whether it's a politically viable move or not, is completely contrary to the teachings of Christ. Hence the hypocrisy.

[/quote]
Siding with the filthy rich? How about the eminent domain ruling recentley backed by the leftist of the Supreme Court?
[/quote]

Hey, take up your pathetic arguments with MICK. He wrote the song, not me. I'm just diggin' it.
August 3rd, 2005 02:43 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I don't know. Maybe you should ask Ronald Reagan, since the big massacre that's always brought up as a reason for the war happened in 1988. Oops! He's DEAD! Well, then maybe you could ask Donald Rumsfeld. He set up the deal that gave Saddam the weapons he used for the massacre.

Ah, but at the time, the arch-enemy was Iran, not Iraq. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" has been a long-standing but unsaid motto of politicians. Using such short-sighted strategy, of course, they armed the very people who became their ennemies a few years later... :rolleyes

BTW, you might as well ask a few questions to George Bush Sr., who was in charge during the massacre of thousands of Iraqi Kurds and Shi'ites at the end of the 1st Gulf War, at the time when the country was supposed to be under close watch by the coalition!

No wonder daddy's son is behaving like he does with such example from family and friends...

N.B. FPM, if you don't know this site already, check it at once! You'll be thrilled!
http://www.idrewthis.org/

I'm not adding anything about issues of US only interest, as I do'nt feel qualified. But the weight of the USA's economic, military and political power in the world is something that everybody on Earth can feel entitled to comment on. Being the only hyperpower goes with responsabilities, or so one could argue it should. The people who are in charge today in the White House might feel annoyed when puny European countries try and interfere with their policies, but you can't have it both ways. If the USA "take care of their interests abroad" and put their foot in other countries' policies, then there's going to be a lot of people outside the USA who will feel concerned about what the USA say and do, and they will make their concern felt.

I'm not saying it's always bad when the States "interfere" Don't take me wrong! You only need to open a history book to see that they did a lot of positive "interfering"! And that's an understatement. (1) But you may also open the same book at another page and say to yourself: "I sure wish they'd stayed home that time!"...

Anyway, to go back to topic, the song is about political and religious hypocrisy. So persons of any political persuasion but honest character may agree that it's a worthy subject for Mick to tackle...

--------------------------------

(1) Some American conservatives (Dubya, IIRC) recently (and quite hypocritically) took occasion of the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War to deplore that F.D. Rooseveldt couldn't go on with saving the eastern part of Europe from Stalin, as they had saved the western part from Hitler. That was both unfair and false. Not many people may be aware of it, but recent historic studies show that their was no real need for the USA in 1944 to intervene on the European continent to put an end to the Hitlerian regime. The tide of the war had turn in 1943 after Stalingrad and the USSR's Red Army had been advancing west steadily, first slowly but going quicker and quicker with time. The democracies among the Allies seriously feared that they would advance all the way to the Atlantic. So the decision by Rooseveldt to land troops in Normandy did save Western Europe from Stalin, not from Hitler, who would have been finished anyway in a year or two. And that also probably saved the lives of a lot of Jews and other people in concentration camps by ending the war more quickly.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 3rd, 2005 02:51 PM
glencar Despite "Sweet Neocon" I will still buy this album when's it's dropped. That's what the "skip" button is for.
August 3rd, 2005 03:40 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

N.B. FPM, if you don't know this site already, check it at once! You'll be thrilled!
http://www.idrewthis.org/

Thanks, Monkey Woman! And thanks for sharing your thoughts.
August 3rd, 2005 03:46 PM
glencar Wacky site!
August 3rd, 2005 03:49 PM
Joey [quote]FPM C10 wrote:

Well, then maybe you could ask Donald Rumsfeld. He set up the deal that gave Saddam the weapons he used for the massacre.

Fleabit .....................................

Is it just me or is Donald Rumsfeld looking more and more like Robert McNamara every single day ?!?!

August 3rd, 2005 03:50 PM
glencar Victory with honor, Joey. McNamara's band had no plan. Westu took the fall for those dirty fuckers.
August 3rd, 2005 03:51 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Joey wrote:
[quote]FPM C10 wrote:

Well, then maybe you could ask Donald Rumsfeld. He set up the deal that gave Saddam the weapons he used for the massacre.

Fleabit .....................................

Is it just me or is Donald Rumsfeld looking more and more like Robert McNamara every single day ?!?!

You will be grateful in the end Omaha is cancelled: the tour is a bust.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)