ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Whiskey River Tragedy (nsc) Return to archive
08-05-03 10:05 PM
telecaster Three boxes of Kleenex later and I still haven't stopped crying since I read this:

800K Gallons of Ky. Whiskey Burn in Fire

By MURRAY EVANS, Associated Press Writer

BARDSTOWN, Ky. - The smell of burning whiskey lingered in the air Tuesday as the remnants of a fire that destroyed a warehouse that had held 800,000 gallons of Jim Beam bourbon continued to burn.

The fire was contained, but was expected to burn until at least Thursday. "There's a lot of lumber in there," Fire Chief Anthony Mattingly said.

Emergency officials said a small amount of bourbon found its way into a creek that runs near the charred warehouse, but the environmental effects were expected to be minimal.

About 90 minutes after firefighters arrived Monday, bulldozers were brought in to dam the creek, halting the downstream flow of bourbon, officials said.

"We got some (bourbon) in the river, I'm sure," said Joe Osborne, the director of emergency management for Nelson County. "We think it's very minimal, but we'll have to wait and see."

Agents from the federal Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms checked Tuesday for any environmental damage from the fire.

The company said Tuesday that "all initial indications suggest" the fire was caused by lightning. Thunderstorms swept through the area Monday afternoon.

The wooden warehouse, built in 1945, contained 19,000 barrels of aging bourbon. The warehouse is one of four at the site and among 64 owned by Jim Beam. It is one of the company's older warehouses, said Jeff Conder, a plant manager for Jim Beam.

All four warehouses at the site had lightning rods and metal roofs — a change from the original tar roofs many had when first built, Conder said.

None of the other three warehouses at the site was significantly damaged, and the company said the fire destroyed about 2 percent of its aging bourbon inventory.

Conder said the amount of bourbon lost represented less than two weeks worth of production and that the company was fully insured.

The fire was the third in the last seven years at a bourbon warehouse in Kentucky, where more than 95 percent of the world's bourbon is produced.

08-05-03 10:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot Whew!

Good thing I'm a Jack Daniels guy.
08-06-03 12:40 AM
J.J.Flash Damn, what a tragedy, isn't it? Well as they said that some amount of that bourbon gone to the near river, well at least fishes should be happy! I'm joking about the fishes!

Sir Stonesalot, I would like to know what's the difference between Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. Plus, I really want to know what's the most notable difference between a Bourbon and a Scotch, considering I only have drank that kind of Scotch Whisky.

Talking more about Whiskey, 15 and 16 of august (friday and saturday of next week) will be the solemnity/party of my graduation. These special dates doesn't happens everyday. I must get drunk man!

Anyway, I won't forget to post here some pics of me wearing the Tuxedo with a Jack Daniels bottle in hands.......There will be a band playing on the ball and I promise my fellow pals: I'll try to steal the guitar of the stupid on the stage and play Johnny B. Goode (I'm telling would be this song, this Rock'n'Roll "national anthem" because I'm sure the rest of the band know the rhythm).

Ronnie must be proud

Regards!

08-06-03 08:27 AM
telecaster JJF bourbon must be at least 51% corn. Scotch I believe is made from peat

Jack Daniels is not a "bourbon" but a sour mash as it is made in Tennessee and bourbon is made in Kentucky
08-06-03 09:39 AM
nankerphelge Good news is it was only about 2% of their inventory!!
08-06-03 09:47 AM
telecaster
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Good news is it was only about 2% of their inventory!!

I know nanky, but it is still 18 regulation swimming pools full of bourbon lost forever
08-06-03 09:55 AM
nankerphelge I hear ya buddy -- I wept as I watched the fire too!!
08-06-03 10:47 AM
J.J.Flash Hey Tele, thanks for the information. In fact, the only thing I knew about Jack Daniels is that thing concerning the composition by corn.

Thanks I really appreciate it.

I just don't know what's the reason why everytime I ask something for Sir Stonesalot, he never reply me. Sir, I like to read your posts and I know that you are a Stones and music expert. I really respect you, believe me. But, let me know if I did something wrong.

Regards!
08-06-03 01:58 PM
Madafaka I don't care! I drink Chivas Regal
08-06-03 03:50 PM
Larry Dallas I live about one hour from Bardstown. It was sad to watch all of the Jim Beam go up in flames. To answer one question, bourbon is only made in Kentucky. In fact, my house is five minutes from Bourbon County. Sir Stonesalot, quit the Jack Daniels and try some Woodford Reserve or some Maker's Mark. You won't be disappointed.
08-06-03 04:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sorry JJFlash....I went off line shortly after that post last night. I'm not ignoring you, I just wasn't around to see your post until now.

Tele is correct. "Bourbon" comes from Kentucky...or at least it's supposed to. Like Champagne only comes from that region in France. Jack is sour mash sippin' whiskey made in Tennessee.

Jim and Jack TASTE different. I drink Jack straight up or on the rocks...never mixed. Most people I know drink Beam mixed with Coke or Pepsi. I prefer the oaky flavor of Jack.

Scotch, obviously, can only come from Scotland. Well, real scotch anyway. I prefer Irish whiskey to scotch though. Jameson's is good...but I like Powers best. It tastes like deisel fuel, and goes great with Guinness.
08-06-03 04:36 PM
nankerphelge Irish whiskey is food of the gods!

On the rocks with a big honkin' ceegar!!

I think I know what I'm doin' this evening!!!
08-07-03 04:57 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Sorry JJFlash....I went off line shortly after that post last night. I'm not ignoring you, I just wasn't around to see your post until now.

No problem. I must say sorry pal!
See ya!
Regards!
08-07-03 05:13 AM
Zeeta
A lot of my friends drink Jim Beam and Ginger Ale which I never really dug. Jack daniels and coke is always great and Jack Daniels on the ROcKs (oFf!) is good but a little harsh for me at the tender age of 22!

Here in the UK Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey are distinguished in spelling. American-made whiskey is usually spelt with an 'e' also.

It's all good lets face it!