ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: September Issue Of Q Magazine Return to archive
08-04-03 04:04 PM
Honky Tonk Man It is a must buy. It has one of the best Keith interviews i have read in a while. I think some of it has been posted here already. The bit about him collercting gear thrown at him on the stage.

Beyonce Knowles is on the front cover too. That alone, is an excuse to buy the magazine.

Alex
08-04-03 04:06 PM
jb HTM...You know that Q and Mojo detest the Stones and this is strictly a kiss-ass job b/c of their impending London dates..Indeed, most British detest the Stones as reflected in their lack of popularity, airplay, and album sales in England.
08-04-03 04:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
jb wrote:
HTM...You know that Q and Mojo detest the Stones and this is strictly a kiss-ass job b/c of their impending London dates..Indeed, most British detest the Stones as reflected in their lack of popularity, airplay, and album sales in England.

Yeah, but Beyonce is on the front cover
08-04-03 04:25 PM
jb True...and she is one hot piece of ass....I would perform anal on her!!!!
08-04-03 04:57 PM
twicks1 Actually, MOJO is one of the few magazines which consistently praises the Stones' latter-day efforts.

Off the top of my head, I can recall a sterling review for "Bridges to Babylon," as well as an unqualified rave for the last club/arena/stadium "Licks" shows in NYC.

08-04-03 05:21 PM
nankerphelge Isn't having sex with an asshole, by definition, anal sex?

Just curious...
08-04-03 05:24 PM
luridchief test
08-04-03 07:08 PM
Gazza >Indeed, most British detest the Stones as reflected in their lack of popularity, airplay, and album sales in England.

somewhat proven otherwise by the fact theyve shifted 190,000 tickets on this tour. Equivalent (in terms of population) to having sold a million tickets in the US. Not bad considering theyre charging three times as much for top tickets as ANY act (including themselves) has ever charged before. Amazingly, they've got little flak for it in the press here.

"40 licks" went gold in no time in the UK. I think to date its sold 400,000 copies. Equivalent to 2.5 million in the US.

I havent read a single negative review of any Stones concert throughout this entire tour in ANY newspaper or magazine. I've read fucking plenty in US ones. The press tributes to Mick on his 60th birthday last week were the most fawning he's received in years.

As for radio. well,BBC radio 1 basically doesnt play anything that hasnt been released in the last 5 years which by definition rules out almost anything by the Stones as the lazy bastards wont record a new album. If you check BBC radio 2 (the most listened to station in the UK) during the day or evening you'll hear lots of Stones. Virgin radio too. Of course, living in Florida, you'd naturally be an authority on the airplay policies of British radio stations.

Your "Britain hates the Stones" schtick is laughable and has been proven in the last year to be utter bullshit.

Maybe they'd get more airplay or sell more tickets in Florida if they recorded with Gloria Estefan or got a salsa band to open for them.
08-05-03 01:59 AM
marko Would Jb practise anal sex with Gloria estefan?(asshole).
08-05-03 04:16 AM
Zeeta And anyway does it matter about the stance of Q and Mojo??!!
Are you not going to buy something with the Stones in just because you reckon the magazine hates them??? Weired no?
I don't give a fuck about the magazine as long as I get to see the boys! Good pics, interviews etc
I have the magazine and it's a great article and for once it is a good issue of Q.
08-05-03 06:37 AM
egon speaking of mojo, someone told me that they are doing a
"ac/dc v. stones" piece this month.

haven't seen it myself yet, but he's giving it to me this thursday.

but to quote him;
"i think it's a bullshit article, cos clearly the stones are much better".

my friend's very wise.
08-05-03 09:49 AM
jb Hi Gazza, glad I got you posting again!!! You know, I did compliment the British for the better than average ticket sales . However, please concede that the Stones are substantially less popular in England compared to the U.S., Germany, Netherlands, Cananda, South America, Asia, and Australia. They consistantly do not rank in the top ten bands in England and in the past, have been scorned by both the press and public at large. The fact that they are citizens of England makes their loathing even more puzzling.
08-05-03 09:30 PM
Gazza >Hi Gazza, glad I got you posting again!!!

uh...i've never been away!!

> You know, I did compliment the British for the better than average ticket sales .

I must have blinked and missed it!

> However, please concede that the Stones are substantially less popular in England compared to the U.S., Germany,

???? really?? youve been lambasting the Germans for months for not buying enough tickets and now theyre doing better than us as we're "better than average"

> Netherlands, Cananda, South America, Asia, and Australia. They consistantly do not rank in the top ten bands in England and in the past, have been scorned by both the press and public at large. The fact that they are citizens of England makes their loathing even more puzzling

i dont really give a fuck about silly polls as theyre generally undertaken by asking questions on the history of music to people who dont know their arse from their elbow. its absurd to ask a teenager about who the greatest band of all time is etc when theyve been listening to music for about ten minutes and think the genre was invented sometime around 1999 - hence you get a disproportionate result where you have people like Robbie Williams ranked as greater and more "important" than Elvis or something. You place a lot of importance on meaningless polls when you know as well as I do that the average person in most countries is an uneducated fucking idiot with no taste and wouldnt know class or culture if it bit them on the arse.

I also couldnt care less if the Stones are more less popular in the UK than they are in the US or Papua New Guinea for that matter.

the British tabloid press are age and appearance obsessed. thats life,the Stones will Im sure get over it. isnt Hollywood the same? as Dylan said "all is phoney.." The UK tabloids are basically uninterested or ignorant in anything that isnt in the top 40 singles charts or in anyone over the age of 30. Hardly anyone in the UK over the age of 15 buys singles and the radio stations who play that sort of music are losing listeners in their millions. So how are these people a reflection on the taste of the public?

The Stones still pack stadiums even though they dont make records anymore, hardly ever play here and charge their fans three times as much to see them as anyone else does...and when they DO play here, the same hacks who mock their ages end up eating humble pie and acknowledging how fucking wonderful they are. happens every tour without fail and has done on this one.

All that considered I think the level of success the band still has here is quite impressive.

08-05-03 10:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot I can't believe you guys fall for JBs act!

He just posts that stuff to get you going! And you fall for it EVERY TIME.

That is why he does it. If he didn't think he was stirring the pot, he wouldn't post silly stuff like that.

I'll bet Beyonce gets the 'ol Brazillian Wax job. Yeah, that bung is baby smooth...creamy, dark choclate. Needs my fresh white cream for whippin'!

Vanilla and chocolate always go well together...
08-06-03 07:11 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I'll bet Beyonce gets the 'ol Brazillian Wax job. Yeah, that bung is baby smooth...creamy, dark choclate. Needs my fresh white cream for whippin'!

Vanilla and chocolate always go well together...

Well thats graphic! SS, i agree with you 100%!

However, like Christina, i thin kBeyonce is one of those girls who changes alot with make-up. In the pictures in Q, she has a very dark sort of tanned tone, while in some Destiny's Child video's she looks very light

Always looks fuckalicious though

Alex
08-06-03 11:32 AM
jb I admire Gazza and SS .....
08-06-03 01:59 PM
McQueen "I admire Gazza and SS"

...What pathetic ass-cheese you are, poor soul.
Stirring the pot indeed. Spiraling out of control eh? You would be in much better shape if your blood circulated as much as your wife.
08-06-03 02:20 PM
jb McQueen-you should have more posts.
08-06-03 03:02 PM
Gazza >I can't believe you guys fall for JBs act!
He just posts that stuff to get you going! And you fall for it EVERY TIME.
That is why he does it. If he didn't think he was stirring the pot, he wouldn't post silly stuff like that.

I dont "fall" for it. I havent taken Josh seriously for years. I enjoy the verbal jousting. Its an excuse for me to let off a wee bit of steam and spleen vent and Joshy is kind and laid back enough to play devil's advocate and provide me with a suitable outlet
08-06-03 03:18 PM
jb Yes gazza, but that McQueen scares me a little!!!
08-06-03 05:46 PM
McQueen I just find you to be a misfit canker in an otherwise enjoyable board...opening your mouth when you have nothing to say.

08-06-03 06:40 PM
glencar I like this McQueen guy. Pretty perceptive...
08-07-03 09:29 AM
jb Welcome back "Blue".....