ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Favorite Concert Town Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-31-03 04:26 PM
Soul Survivor What's your favorite town to see a concert in?
07-31-03 04:35 PM
Moonisup Monrovia
07-31-03 04:36 PM
sandrew Hands down: Philadelphia.
07-31-03 07:46 PM
Gazza Tierra del Fuego. The Stones show I saw there on the "Dirty work" tour was breathtaking.

Presume you mean for the Stones? On personal experience, the best COUNTRY audience-wise that I've seen them in was the Netherlands. I never saw them play Amsterdam so for city I'd have to go with the place where I did see them,which was Rotterdam. I like Paris for a Stones show too. Its always a special week and a great buzz when they're in town.

I do think audiences were better a few years ago and more knowledgeable in general everywhere. Might be to do with the fact the audience is older now but also because its a very different market theyre aiming at in the last few years
07-31-03 09:12 PM
Angiegirl Yeah, Paris and Holland, Amsterdam/Rotterdam/whatever, it doesn't matter, Holland's too small anyway to have those large differences. Venues are different tho of course.

It's difficult, London can be great, sometimes very sedate, depends. Same with German (and Dutch I guess) audiences.

I would love to see them in South-America once.

I won't go for Prague audiences tho, considering most blank faces I saw last week :-).
08-04-03 07:40 AM
partner in crime Guys,
listen to S.Siro bootleg and you'll have doubt no more ...
ciao
marco
08-04-03 07:48 AM
hotlicks BALLYMENA
08-04-03 08:00 AM
throbby Philadelphia is very nice.
08-04-03 08:24 AM
Factory Girl Baltimore, MD
08-04-03 11:56 AM
jb New York.........
08-04-03 12:22 PM
mac_daddy small venue:
the Troubadour - LA (although they are taper-hostile now, which sucks)
the Orpheum - Boston (great acoustics)
Greek Theater - Berkeley
Frost Ampitheater - Palo Alto
downstairs @ the Middle East - Boston

medium venue:
Greek Theater - Los Angeles
Madison Square Garden - NYC
Hampton Colliseum - Hampton, VA

large venue:
Rich Field - Buffalo, NY
Soldier's Field - Chicago

the Gorge in George - the best outdoor venue for a concert.
08-04-03 12:36 PM
TomL Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, PA are always rocking.
08-04-03 01:56 PM
jb Worst concert towns=Miami, Cleveland, Washington, and Philadelphia this past tour.
[Edited by jb]
08-04-03 02:28 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jb wrote:
Worst concert towns=Miami, Cleveland, Washington, and Philadelphia this past tour.
[Edited by jb]

LA can be pretty bad - everyone out here is apathetic, show up late, sit in their seats, talk through the show, etc. Some of those midwest cities, where there ain't alot else going on, get all amped up for concerts. Some of the Grateful Dead's most rockin shows were in front of like 100,000 in the summertime at Deer Creek (Indiana) or that venue in East Troy, WI whose name escapes me at the moment. Angelenos don't get that pumped up for anything, not even the Lakers...

I've been at MSG at times when I though the place was going explode with energy. And bands respond positively to that shit...

Lazy Bones sent me a Cleveland show from this tour that was actually pretty good...

Miami, Cleveland, DC, and Philadelphia might just be the worst cities, period.
08-04-03 03:46 PM
Mother baby New Orleans...may not be a "concert town" per se but certainly the best "party town"...
08-04-03 04:02 PM
jb ..New Orlean had only 26,000 in the superdome for the Stones last appearence there....but yes, it is a great party town except for the overzealous cops who fuckin ruin it ...
[Edited by jb]
08-04-03 04:08 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jb wrote:
..New Orlean had only 26,000 in the superdome for the Stones last appearence there....but yes, it is a great party town except for the overzealous cops who fuckin ruin it ...
[Edited by jb]

26K - that is not alot...

I was there for the Super Bowl, when my beloved Pats spanked the Lams (f*ck them, btw - they should have never left LA). Anyway, there were alot more people in there for the game than 26K...

I thought all the American Licks shows sold out...
08-04-03 04:13 PM
jb It wasn't the Licks tour...I believe it was either 94 or 97...but I think 94.....
08-04-03 06:15 PM
FPM C10 Having only been to shows in the USA, it's no contest - New York City! No debate. I've seen great shows in Madison Square Garden, Roseland, the Beacon Theater, and even the Eugene O'Neill Theater. If you can make it there...
08-04-03 06:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah easy call FPM. NYC is fantastic for live gigs...the venues are incredible, legendary.

08-04-03 07:41 PM
gypsy omaha, nebraska...with joey
08-04-03 07:42 PM
Boomy Mongo, Indiana
08-04-03 10:29 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Yeah easy call FPM. NYC is fantastic for live gigs...the venues are incredible, legendary.

And that legendary status makes the performers try just a little bit harder. Plus the audiences are tough but when they like you they LOVE you. So when you see someone as great as the Stones actually turning it up a notch, it adds up to something special. When you see the Stones in NYC, you know for sure that there is no place on the planet right at that moment that could possibly be any cooler.
08-04-03 11:40 PM
littleredrooster Screw NY I've seen them there 7 times!

Las Vegas is THE place to see and be SEEN in the 21st century
[Edited by littleredrooster]
08-04-03 11:49 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! My all time favorite place to see a show is Hampton Coliseum, Hampton Va. The Dead use to perform absolutely magical shows there, and not to forget the great Stones show there in 81'! It's just something about the place that seems to take the bands to a higher level of playing. It's actually on the water's edge and resembles a space ship, especially after a hit of good acid! It's relatively small (12,000) and they always have general admission.
RFK was also a great venue, kind of small for a stadium, but had a really good feel to it, much better then FedEx Field.
For a small shed, it's hard to beat Portsmouth Va.
08-05-03 06:41 AM
stonedinaustralia well i've never seen a band there let alone the stones but i'd have to go with NYC - i've been their briefly and it is something else no doubt about it - anything there is going to have an edge over the same thing anywhere else

while (for reasons i won't go into) i didn't see any kind of "show" while i was there i have two abiding musical memeories of the place

the first was on the "C" train - this african american guy -must have been at least 50 - was ridng the train with his saxophone playing for change ("if you got that spare nickel or that quarter...") - he played a beautiful bitter -sweet take on "somewhere over the rainbow" - i don't know if the locals just thought he was bum who should get a job or what but i was blown away by it

then the next night, in times square, there were these three guys doing their "act" - one had a complete drum kit set up (jesus, talk about doing it in the road!!) then congas and another on percussion - with the occasional bystander joining in banging a drum or something - what a wild glorious racket it was - jungle music in the heart of civilization!!
08-05-03 10:53 AM
Stones Fan, Gar Chicago, great Blues town, plenty of music before and after the concert. The Stones must love that town too, they played there 5 times this tour! Gar
08-05-03 09:16 PM
Martha Cleveland's Gund Arena (any venue in the city is ok too).....so I can get to the Rock Hall before or after the concert. Not to mention the GREAT Stones show on 10/14/02 and then meeting Shidoobeeans and Rock's Offer's at the Rock Hall next day..that was a real blast. It makes the concert last even longer when we can do all that.

But..I'll go ANYWHERE I can afford to if, it means I get to see a show...I hope to go to 'em ALL in my lifetime...LOL!
08-05-03 09:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've seen some pretty cool bands in some pretty cool places...here's the best of the venues that I've been to:

1. Roseland Ballroom(NYC)
2. MSG
3. Whitacker Center(Harrisburg PA, not a bad seat anywhere, and fantastic acoustics)
08-06-03 12:26 AM
MarthaMyDear Well, it ain't Los Angeles, IMHO, unless it's a punk rock
show (punk rock shows are awesome to see here 'cause L.A. has
a great ole' scene for that, so...)... Areas outside of Los
Angeles (the city), like Orange County, etc., are better than
actually IN the city for enthusiastic fans at shows like the
Stones, etc., but if you like to celebrity-watch, then this
is the place!!! But, alot
of times, people here are just too jaded, etc., to be
enthusiastic, so I wouldn't say here for enthusiasm, etc....
lol.............................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P I don't plan to be
seeing shows exclusively here anyways, so I don't mind,
though... PEACE and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
Page: 1 2