ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Altaronto/Torontomont Return to archive
07-31-03 12:00 PM
purrcafe So did anyone hear reports of trouble, injuries, cue stick beatings or deaths at the show?
07-31-03 12:04 PM
egon i heard the was an "incident" on stage when the stones
did "miss you".

might be a rumour though...
07-31-03 12:30 PM
Lazy Bones Not really. Once and a while an ambulance would make it's way through the crowd with it's lights on. One fella, about 10 yards in front of me collapsed. I'm sure heat stroke and exhaustion were the biggest problems. In my 8-9 hrs in the park, I didn't see one fit! Not even any pushing or yelling. A very respectful crowd!
08-01-03 12:55 AM
Sir Stonesalot That's great.

I am very relieved that things went so well.

My mantra: It is always better to err on the side of caution.
08-01-03 03:05 AM
tumbling_dice The only incident I saw was a crazy AC/DC fan next to me trying to jump on top of the fence about 5 times and finally the security dragging him away. I thought the fence would just fall so many times with all the people jumping up on it. I am just glad everything went well though and everything is fine with all the Rocks Off members. It was also great meeting Lady Jane and Nanker Phelge at the Fiddler's Green Tueday night.(Hi Guys) It was a great concert even the Timberlake incident (I had a good laugh) and NEARNESS OF YOU was just amazing. RUBY TUESDAY was excellent and ROCK ME BABY rocked! :-D
08-01-03 10:18 AM
Kallalily The police, OPP, EMS did an amazing job. I was at the front by one of the screens at the side of the stage. Somebody near me was counting the bodies going by, last count was 29. People on stretchers or being carried, most of them passed out. Only two people at that concert actually were taken to the hospital (and that was for chest pains) The only violent moment I saw was when one guy who was really wasted took a swing at a cop. It took 5 cops to take him down, I guess he ended up one of the 6 people at that whole concert who was actually charged.... There was always free water being handed out. The police were there only if you needed help, but not to get involved. And a lot of pot smoking.
08-01-03 11:51 AM
gypsy Pot smoking, you say? Where was Dr. Henry Lee and his portable chiba DNA lab?!
08-01-03 12:26 PM
jb There was a great post on "Shidoobee" under the "Sars" concert heading under this topic.....the fact they performed w/ JT is really not the issue, it's the fact that they have long ceased to be a serious hard rocking band....they seem unwilling or unable to really rock anymore....all their songs are now turned into "pop" melodies with horn, brass, and piano being the dominant sound.....if AC/DC's guitars were loud and crisp, what happened to Keith and Ronnie's...obviously they keep them low b/c they can't fucking play anymore....it's one thing for Mick to pander to a younger audience...that's bad enough..but the drastic decline in their playing is really sad....
[Edited by jb]
08-01-03 01:11 PM
Factory Girl They're coasting on their legacy. "We're the Stones and we can't screw up."

I still would love to see MT play with them, even if this doesn't live up to our expectations.
08-01-03 06:58 PM
Miss U. It's the STones ability to roll with the times that has kept them vibrant to this day and still appealing to many generations.
08-02-03 12:50 AM
littleredrooster Did they bust fans taking pictures??
08-02-03 09:55 AM
Miss U. No, Disposable cameras were fine, and alot of people got in with regular cameras too.
Security didn't even check our bags on the way in.
08-02-03 10:02 AM
stonedinaustralia excellent thread title, btw
08-02-03 11:11 AM
nankerphelge I think Keith and Ronnie are both playing fine. Certainly not so bad that you would shut off both guitars and hope to pull off Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, and You Got Me Rocking with Charlie, Mick and Chuck.

And once Keith and Ronnie were audible, they were fine. No they don't rock like they used to, and no they don't play like they used to -- they do rely a lot more on filling out the sound. But this was a screw up -- a ill-timed screw up -- a "how the fuck could anyone have let this happen" screw up.

Don't kid yourself, they still know how to put on a great show. And they did!

08-04-03 10:28 AM
jb every time there is a big event, they fuck up...1/2 million people and they sound like shit while ac/dc's guitars are blistering clear....either they are hiding the guitars or there is a serious sound problem going on for the last 2 tours.
[Edited by jb]
08-04-03 10:33 AM
Boomy It definitely can't be the latter. How in the hell can they be spending money on a crew that has been fucking up the last two tours?

Blame it on Michael Cohl, I tell ya!!
08-04-03 03:22 PM
Jumping Jack The only difference in the equation is the guitar players, the equipment is the same. Keith and Ronnie are purposely turned down. You speculate why.
08-04-03 03:39 PM
jb Because they are off more than on.
08-04-03 11:50 PM
littleredrooster JB,

It IS quite sad that Toronto was not a Sell out!!
Quite SAD!
08-05-03 10:47 AM
jb OH, it was a "sell-out" -Justin Timberlake and no guitars again...a real sell out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-05-03 11:47 PM
littleredrooster A great volley on word play!!

Game....Set...Match!!
08-06-03 06:39 PM
mac_daddy I guess it could have been worse...

***NOTE --- man arrested for urinating from upper deck onto lower deck fans ****
Also note *** people labelling themselves with Sharpie markers indicating which drug they were on ****

Concert brings drugs, two arrests

Dead and Dylan: Joliet Fire Department was prepared for possible overdoses, as were concert-goers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Dylan and what is left of the Grateful Dead drew nowhere near as many fans to Route 66 Raceway as N'Sync or other performers in past B96 Summer Bashes, but the ones who came sure did a lot more drugs.

Seventeen concert-goers suffering from an "altered level of consciousness" were transported by ambulance to Silver Cross Hospital Saturday, said Joliet Fire Chief Joe Drick.

This was "more than we would usually see after a concert," Drick said, putting the number of intoxication and drug overdose calls at Route 66 concerts in past years at four or five.

Shows in previous summers played to crowds nearly twice the size as the one on hand for Saturday's "The Dead & Dylan Summer Getaway Tour."

"We were prepared," Drick said. "We expected this situation."

The fire department supplied paramedics with surplus medications to counteract overdoses and staffed the event as if they were working a sold-out show instead of one that attracted barely more than half-capacity.

"It worked out well because we had as many calls as if we had a full house," Drick said.

Paramedics treating a man for a suspected overdose at the raceway may have saved his life by shooting him with drugs to neutralize the narcotics short-circuiting his nervous system, Drick said.

"If they had not been there, he probably would have died," the chief said.

Despite the work of paramedics and Silver Cross emergency room staff, some drug users were leaving little to chance.

A large number of spectators had taken markers to their bodies, apparently to list the drugs they had ingested, said Deputy Chief Marty Shifflet.

"Shrooms, LSD, weed," Shifflet said of the lists inked on fans' bodies.

"We assume the reason they did that is if they did overdose, the medical staff would know how to treat them," he said.

Shifflet led a 10-man contingent from the Will County Gang Suppression Unit in and around the raceway Friday and Saturday nights. The gang unit was on hand to help ensure the crowd did not get out of hand before, during or after the show.

The Gang Unit encountered little in the way of chronic lawlessness. City police reported two arrests at the show.

One man was taken into custody for allegedly throwing a bottle at an officer. He then was found to be carrying narcotics, police said.

A teen-age girl was arrested for allegedly biting an officer. The 16-year-old was pestering the officer and asking to use his cell phone to call her mother, police said. Rebuffed, she allegedly bit his forearm.

A source said a third arrest was made when officers spotted a man urinating from the top row of the raceway stands down on other fans. Police could not confirm this occurred.