ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Between Steel Wheels & Urban Jungle 1989 ~ 1990
Paul Natkin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:
Begin PicoSearch Code

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sir Mick Return to archive
08-07-02 09:56 AM
corgi37 I saw a funny item in 1 of our Melbourne papers after Mick's knighthood announcement. It was a vox-pop question posed to people in the street. Q: "Do you think Mick deserved to be made a Sir?" I loved the answers. Out of 5 people asked, 3 said no, 2 said yes. The 2 who said yes were under 40. The response from the others was predictable and telling. 1 old chook said Mick was disgusting, ugly rude and she wondered what he had contributed to. A lovely 75 yr old lady hated him because "he's skinny, ugly and what has he ever done except be vulgar". The last reply was from a 68 yr old half-wit. This bloke was originally from London, now living in Oz. He was ashamed, he said. Amazing eh? STILL the generation above jagger cant stand the social upheaval he, the stones and others caused. The STILL havent forgiven. Heres my theory/scenario on this. The folk interviewed are the generation before the British rock invasion. Some were in their mid 30's - early 40's when the Stones struck. These people are into swing, big band, crooners etc. Short hair, do as your told, blah blah. The Stones in 63 must have seemes like aliens to them. The oldies interviewed had kids i presume. Kids they lost to that "uncouth, colored music, played by those ugly, dirty boys. They havent forgiven old Mickey boy. I mean, can you imagine some pasty faced Pom, tapping his toes to skiffle and trad jazz, loving every tune by Bing Crosby, sitting in his bed-sit on a cold, rainy, London day in 64, watching his widdle innocent daughter, who is watching jagger singing Little Red Rooster in the t.v.? have you seen the clip to that song? jagger looks like he's packing a salami. Imagine the life changing shock on this fella's face as he sees the Stones for the 1st time. he probably dropped his pipe as he saw Brian Jones leering at the camera. Now, its a memory. A memory of his little girl, now mesmerised by these scruffy white boys singing these songs (songs by black men, no less!). Maybe he felt he lost his child to these voodoo merchants. Many people couldnt handle the changes the stones helped to make. It was a revolution. The stones themselves changed heaps. For crusty, conservative types, the stones must of seemed like invading Vikings, brain washing their kids. I guess these feeling are still there. So while the Beryl's, Gertrude's, Arnold's, Abercrombies and hector's of this world say "what has jagger contibuted?", i think deep down the know. Jagger stole their kids. Filled their heads with new ideas/freedoms. he didnt say oob la de, oob la da, he said he was your King Bee. He didnt sing about a frigging yellow submarine, he sang about wanting to spend the night together and nervous breakdowns. he never sang about the octopuss garden, he sand about lanterns, and gompers and citadels. He obviously took drugs, but had the nerve to sing about mothers little helpers. And he sure as hell didnt want to hold your hand. Everyone, more importantly, the parents at the time, knew EXACTLY what he wanted to do. And they have never forgotten/forgiven. That is yet another reason while i still love the stones. They are still despised. Hope it never changes. As Pete Townshend said at their Hall of Fame induction: "Dont grow old gracefully, it wouldnt suit you".

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road