ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Between Steel Wheels & Urban Jungle 1989 ~ 1990
Paul Natkin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:
Begin PicoSearch Code

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Attn Guitarists: SFTD Ya-Ya's question Return to archive
08-06-02 10:33 AM
patioaintdry This is an irritating question. Can any of you guitar players point me in the right direction chord/fret-wise to play the Keith lead and solo parts for SFTD off of Ya-Ya's? I've only been playing for 4 mos. and remain quite the novice. Thanks.
08-06-02 11:04 AM
sandrew Well, it's all based on the E-D-A-E chord progression. Keith never makes much of an effort to "blow through the changes" with his solos. On that recording, he starts low - in the 5th position - and plays those great first bars on the A and D strings. Then he shifts up to the 12th position and basically plays around with his Chuck Berry double-stop riffs. One of his best and most memorable solos...

The second solo - Mick Taylor's - is astoundingly good. With his trademark fluidity, Taylor starts by playing the "major" notes, probably in the 9th position. Then he switches into a more bluesy, pentatonic-based feel, in the 12th position. The part where Watts comes off the cymbals and starts riding the high hat, and Taylor is hanging on that circular little Claptonesque riff - that is wicked! Pure magic.

08-06-02 11:21 AM
Maxlugar That solo Taylor does is indeed fluid and astounding.

Have you ever seen the poem I penned about Mick Taylor's fingers?

No?

Here it is:

Mick Taylor's Fingers:

They make me quiver
When they deliver
I cry a River
With my gin Soaked liver
Whilst the notes, they slink and slither

-- Maxlugar, date unknown

Pretty good, huh?

Thanks.

Maxy.
08-06-02 11:24 AM
patioaintdry Very helpful. Thanks, SAndrew. My double-stops need work, but I am getting comfortable with the blues pentatonic. Jamming with a friend gets a bit redundant doing the E-D-A rhythym so this will definitely add to the fun.
08-06-02 02:42 PM
sandrew Playing Stones music on the guitar is like sex - it's fine when you're alone, but even better with a partner. I've always thought the intro to "Off the Hook" is a brilliant example of the Keith/Brian weave. Not much talked about, but it's one of my favorites.
08-06-02 03:12 PM
patioaintdry Agreed! "What A Shame" is also an overlooked gem.

Not to bore other folks SAndrew, but would you happen to be familiar with the guitar work on Little T&A? Tabs i've pulled off the web seem to sound incorrect -- and observing Keith's playing in both the LSTNT and Hampton 81 videos, he's barre'ing a lot but I cannot clearly distinguish the chords/position. In the case of Hampton, it's the 67th generation copy i have.
08-06-02 03:29 PM
sandrew Patio - I think he plays T&A in open-G, but it's easy enough to play in standard tuning. You can start the lick by picking out, in the shape of an F chord, the following notes: F-A-C. Then slide up to a D power chord.

During the verse, Keith comps in the 5th position on C and F/C (the "Start Me Up" chords). The chorus is: Bb, then Bb with an A bass note, then a slight variation of the F-D intro, then A, then the Bb thing again.

I don't know how clear this is in prose, but it should help.
[Edited by sandrew]
08-06-02 03:59 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 Keith uses a Dan Armstrong clearbody guitar and Mick Taylor uses a Gibson SG with vibrato bar.
08-06-02 05:24 PM
patioaintdry sAndrew - it's a helluva lot better than i've been doing and mmakes sense. thanks again for all of your help.
08-07-02 05:27 AM
Mathijs Little T&A is played in standard tuning, not open G. The intro is a power chord progression of seconds, starting from A at the second fret (A and D string, A string open) to the power chord of D. Thus: A, B, C, D. Chorus is Bflat-F and Dm-A, verses are C - Csus4. The track is easy to play, except for (take a look at the LSTNT movie) the Berry riffs Keith throws in, which are D-bends in the A position. Those are typically keith and hard to copy. For the real Keith sound, use a Mesa/Boogie 300 series head or a Mark 3 combo or head, use channel 2 and set the band-EQ on compression. And use a 1973 Fender Telecaster Custom with Schaller bridge of course...

There's more info on keith's guitar on my web site: www.stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl

Mathijs

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road