ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Reading "FYG,WY?" in the telepromter
Stade Olympique de la Pontaise, Lausanne 11th August 2007
© mrhipfl, thanks a lot!!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Has Emotional Rescue ever been played live? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
3rd August 2007 09:24 AM
glencar Yeah, Ringo had an easier ride; at least Bill had a better voice!
3rd August 2007 09:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
and not forgetting the other great non-wyman bass performance - Keith on SFTD

add Taylor's on "Fingerprint File" to that.
3rd August 2007 09:56 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No. He screams it when he sings in a high voice to cover up the fact that his vocal range (understandably) is not what it was 25 years ago. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but if you think he's still 'singing' falsetto effortlessly, then you're just not listening. Like any singer does when his vocal range becomes more limited with age or wear and tear,he adapts his phrasing accordingly.

"Emotional Rescue" would be an even harder song for him to pull off at this stage because more of the song is sung in a high register than is the case for Worried About You (and secondly, without having the sheet music in front of me, I would imagine that it not only requires higher notes but quite possibly more key changes and a greater vocal range )
[Edited by Gazza]

Well Mick has ALWAYS shouted the lyrics... that is his trademark. We all know that.

He isn't going to sing any song just as it is on the album. That is just not "Mick Jagger". Never has been.

Look at 1981 or 1978 live. His vocal range and tone on those tours was pretty lousy compared to now (although back then it was kinda neat and fitting). He has since had far better dynamics and tone in a live show than back then, and he recorded those songs in that era.

So this says a lot. I don't think it is a vocal problem as much as it is a song that is kinda-sorta Tooo dated at this point. Even for a tune in a Rolling Stones catalougue it may be just a tad too "premier post-disco". Miss You is still cool. Dance part 1 can even be pulled off because it is an obscure selection. However ER may just be a bit too much like a live Bee-Gees show right now for The Rolling Stones so they leave that one alone.

I think this is the major reason they never tried this one live.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
3rd August 2007 10:17 AM
Gazza No..I think its primarily down to the two reasons that Nanky gave on his post on page 2 of this thread.

Theres already been plenty of examples where the setlist for a show has been structured at the eleventh hour to protect Mick's fragile vocal cords.

he's simply not going to take too many risks with his throat such as attempting a song like that.
3rd August 2007 10:20 AM
Gazza >Look at 1981 or 1978 live. His vocal range and tone on those tours was pretty lousy compared to now (although back then it was kinda neat and fitting). He has since had far better dynamics and tone in a live show than back then, and he recorded those songs in that era.

Singing a song in the studio when you have endless opportunity for retakes and dont even HAVE to sing if your voice isnt up to it isnt exactly the same as singing at full throttle on stage for over 2 hours a night, five days a week, for 3 months on end.

Neither Worried about You or Emotional rescue was played on those tours. Easy to see why. In general, Mick avoided the 'falsetto' type songs onstage in that era (and since).
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd August 2007 01:58 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Look at 1981 or 1978 live. His vocal range and tone on those tours was pretty lousy compared to now (although back then it was kinda neat and fitting). He has since had far better dynamics and tone in a live show than back then, and he recorded those songs in that era.

Singing a song in the studio when you have endless opportunity for retakes and dont even HAVE to sing if your voice isnt up to it isnt exactly the same as singing at full throttle on stage for over 2 hours a night, five days a week, for 3 months on end.

Neither Worried about You or Emotional rescue was played on those tours. Easy to see why. In general, Mick avoided the 'falsetto' type songs onstage in that era (and since).
[Edited by Gazza]

Gazza Wrote:

> Your absolutely right. No one can argue that fact.

But my point being is that if he could do vox in falsetto with success in those days anywhere...yet never attempted them live on stage in those eras is no indication on weather or not it is still possible for him to do such today. Because he could of easily pulled that off 25-30 years ago yet still chose not to.

So weather or not he does those on stage is moot because he did not do this on stage in some eras when it is known he could of handled it with some good preperation and care. Infact Mick does more falsetto type singing today than 25-30 years ago so I do not think him physically NOT being able to do it is an issue. Maybe not every single show without a hitch, but he could pull it off easier now I beleive than he could back then being as he has more range now live, he takes better care of his throat now, and there are better Microphones, and sound processors now that could help it along if needed.

Ian
3rd August 2007 02:11 PM
nankerphelge If Mick attempts ER or any other falsetto during the upcoming US arena tour, and strains his voice because of it, and I miss a show, I am going to break your Tardrite and you will be up shits creek Billen!

Speaking of Tardrites...

Joey?

[edited by Tardrite corp]
[Edited by nankerphelge]
3rd August 2007 02:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Your absolutely right. No one can argue that fact.

But my point being is that if he could do vox in falsetto with success in those days anywhere...yet never attempted them live on stage in those eras is no indication on weather or not it is still possible for him to do such today. Because he could of easily pulled that off 25-30 years ago yet still chose not to.

So weather or not he does those on stage is moot because he did not do this on stage in some eras when it is known he could of handled it with some good preperation and care. Infact Mick does more falsetto type singing today than 25-30 years ago so I do not think him physically NOT being able to do it is an issue. Maybe not every single show without a hitch, but he could pull it off easier now I beleive than he could back then being as he has more range now live, he takes better care of his throat now, and there are better Microphones, and sound processors now that could help it along if needed.

Ian

Technically, Mick SINGS better on stage in the last few years than he used to (ie, in the right key, singing the words properly instead of the breathless drivel that you can find on parts of Love You Live to give one example), however his vocal RANGE isnt what it used to be, which is natural with age and also because of the delicate nature of his vocal cords (as you may be aware he developed nodes on his cords some years ago and since 2003 has been under medical instructions NOT to perform two nights in a row anymore).

Performance-wise, he's improved as a singer because he's in better physical condition, has learned to pace himself better during a show and make the most of what he has.

He may TAKE better care of his throat than he did, but thats a necessity more than a straightforward lifestyle choice. It doesnt mean that his throat is BETTER than what it was. It isn't. Far from it.

The shows the Stones were playing in the 1978-82 era wouldnt have suited these type of songs. It was a more stripped down sound, no backing singers (one reason WHY they have backing singers is for support. Fowler's role is to 'shadow' Mick vocally) and no horn section (just a sax player or two). With what is basically a 'revue' sized line up now, theres now more scope musically for them playing songs in that style.
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd August 2007 05:34 PM
Saint Sway they should play Emotional Rescue after they return from the b-stage.

Have Mick exit stage left, cut the house lights and then have him descend from the top of the stage on a giant disco ball with a montage video of them doing blow at Studio 54

the place would go nuts
3rd August 2007 05:44 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

a 'revue' sized line up now

the rolling stones revue!!!

love it!!!
3rd August 2007 05:54 PM
Some Guy Has Emotional Rescue ever been played high?
3rd August 2007 05:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Has Emotional Rescue ever been played high?

Hell to the yeah. Every Fry Day night at Ju's, son.
3rd August 2007 05:57 PM
Some Guy Ted Nugent was interviewed before his upcoming appearance at the U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington this weekend and mentioned he'd very recently talked with Eddie Van Halen. Doesn't sound too promising although as with anything Nugent says, take it with a grain of salt. Here's are the relevent excerpts:

"I see guys like Eddie Van Halen, who can't even form a sentence, and who are just disasters because they couldn't use the 'n' word like Nugent did," he begins in a caveat that will take on most famously hedonistic rock stars, alive and dead (his judgment on Kurt Cobain's fate even has The Nuge suggesting, "maybe you shouldn't print that"; wish granted)."
(snip)
"The lecture continues: "If you take good care of yourself, you can be this kind of thing at 59, and not drooling and incoherent. I tried to have a conversation with Eddie the other day, and I could have wept. I've stepped over so many carcasses."

Here's the link to the interview:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/...b2684975121.txt
3rd August 2007 06:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
"If you take good care of yourself, you can be this kind of thing at 59, and not drooling and incoherent. I tried to have a conversation with Eddie the other day, and I could have wept. I've stepped over so many carcasses."

Dude's done run out of gas.
3rd August 2007 06:11 PM
Some Guy old interview, Eddie has been shredding, dudes are tight.
3rd August 2007 06:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

"I see guys like Eddie Van Halen, who can't even form a sentence, and who are just disasters"

You know the Nuge wanted to smack Eddie just for those new stupid frosted tips he's sportin

3rd August 2007 06:13 PM
Some Guy Utter Humiliation.
3rd August 2007 06:13 PM
glencar Those other 3 are new VH members?
3rd August 2007 06:14 PM
Some Guy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Those other 3 are new VH members?

Yo G, lets start the night with disc 1.
3rd August 2007 06:16 PM
glencar My copy of Wandering Spirit seems to be ruined. RUINED!
3rd August 2007 06:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:

This reunion's gonna be bigger than the Star Wars Christmas Special, Tater
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
My copy of Wandering Spirit seems to be ruined. RUINED!

blue .......................

************* IT'S PUB TIME ******************

www.BrazenHeadPub.com

mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:

looks like jared from the subway commercial and wolfie are trading roles?
3rd August 2007 06:19 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
My copy of Wandering Spirit seems to be ruined. RUINED!

ummm.... I believe Mick meant for it to sound that way, no?
3rd August 2007 06:24 PM
texile has anyone heard the version of worried about you -
from one of the mocambo shows......
he sings it in a normal voice....as much as i like the recorded version - i like it like this better...
it sounds like more an r&b song from the 70s.
3rd August 2007 06:26 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

This reunion's gonna be bigger than the Star Wars Christmas Special, Tater

Best Post Ever:
3rd August 2007 06:30 PM
glencar
quote:
texile wrote:
has anyone heard the version of worried about you -
from one of the mocambo shows......
he sings it in a normal voice....as much as i like the recorded version - i like it like this better...
it sounds like more an r&b song from the 70s.

You certainly are a serious one, dollface!
3rd August 2007 06:31 PM
glencar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

ummm.... I believe Mick meant for it to sound that way, no?

It starts skipping just when song 3 gets a-rockin'!
3rd August 2007 06:32 PM
Some Guy So we're all in agreeance that Emotional Rescue rules with an iron fist. You name your album after a song, that's ballsy sniff.
3rd August 2007 06:38 PM
glencar That's the last time they did that. Well, except for Dirty Work & THAT certainly doesn't count.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)