ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Thejuf
Warm-up gig yesterday
© Virgin Records with exclusive authorization to Forty Licks and Rocks Off
With very special thanks to Thejuf for getting the authorization!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones team with NFL and ABC Return to archive
August 9th, 2005 04:37 AM
stewed & Keefed http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8716688

Rolling Stones team with NFL and ABC

(Aug. 8, 2005) -- The worlds of music and football will collide this year as the legendary Rolling Stones will partner with the NFL and ABC for a season-long campaign.

The Rolling Stones will help kick off the 2005 season from their "A Bigger Bang" world tour with footage from their Aug. 31 concert in Detroit as part of "NFL Opening Kickoff 2005" -- a one-hour pregame special on ABC at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, Sept. 8.

ABC also will feature music and video footage of The Rolling Stones throughout the 2005 season in its Monday Night Football promotional campaigns and in-game highlight and tease packages. The campaign will feature new music from their highly anticipated CD, A Bigger Bang, to be released on Virgin Records on Sept. 6, along with hits from their catalog.

The release of A Bigger Bang follows the Aug. 21 tour kickoff at Fenway Park in Boston as they once again bring fans electrifying performances and state-of-the-art stage production. For additional ticket information, go to tickemaster.com.

The Rolling Stones' performance in "NFL Opening Kickoff 2005" is part of a football and music celebration of the NFL's "Road to Forty" season that will look back at the history of the Super Bowl, honor the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots and down the road to Super Bowl XL, slated for Feb. 5, 2006 in Detroit on ABC. Other acts will be announced shortly.

"NFL Opening Kickoff 2005" will air from 8-9 p.m. (ET) on ABC and lead into the season opener between the Patriots and Oakland Raiders at Gillette Stadium -- a rematch of the memorable 2001 AFC divisional playoff "blizzard" game (ABC, 9 p.m. ET).

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
August 9th, 2005 05:17 AM
Gazza ..as if the Stones give a shit about the NFL...(the World Cup or a Test Cricket series I can understand them having an interest..)

what a strange business venture

Shocking choice of venue too. The worst selling show of the tour. Howe embarrassing that will be.

[Edited by Gazza]
August 9th, 2005 06:18 AM
charlotte I am sure they would not give a shit or know how the game is played...but they know the NFL is America's #1 sport!!

Maybe this will inspire the economically lavished Michiganders to sell out the stadium...or drop the price!!!
August 9th, 2005 07:20 AM
UGot2Rollme look for them to play the Super Bowl in 2006
August 9th, 2005 07:38 AM
luxury1 Yep--they are just looking to sell more tickets/CD's. Football is so huge in the States, Cohl knows he will reach thousands with this venture.
August 9th, 2005 07:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Yep--they are just looking to sell more tickets/CD's. Football is so huge in the States, Cohl knows he will reach thousands with this venture.

Cohl's not such a bad sort...just doing his job.

August 9th, 2005 07:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
look for them to play the Super Bowl in 2006

this deal would probably suggest it would be a near-cert

Only thing that would make me think otherwise is that by the time the next Superbowl comes around, they'll be coming to the end of their North American tour so they'll hardly need the promotional push over there...

but of course, that game is shown worldwide, so it would hardly do ticket sales in the rest of the world any harm...
August 9th, 2005 08:02 AM
Nellcote NFL Champion NE Patriots & The Stones
to quote Jackie Gleason....
"How Sweet It Is".....
August 9th, 2005 08:24 AM
gimmekeef The perfect corporate merger of money grabbing elitists...But I'll be there watching in High Definition anyway!!!!!...lmao...
August 9th, 2005 02:42 PM
mmdog
I don't think this means the Stones will play the Super Bowl at all. That would require the Stones to actually show up at some cheesy halftime show. They are not even showing up for this. They are just using concert footage. The last few years The NFL has held concerts as a pre game to opening night. Normally the Bands are there live. The Stones won't be there playing on some make shift stage in Times Square, instead they will just be using footage from Detroit. It's brilliant. It's a highly watched event, and The Stones have to do nothing. The best part everybody gets to see it free. How could this be bad?
August 9th, 2005 02:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot >How could this be bad?<

It's not bad...it's just typical. Stones Inc. in action.

Besides...if it's good enough for Macca, U2, and Hank Williams Jr., it's good enough for Stones Inc. Right?

Looks like Cohl is pulling all the stops to make A Bigger Bang a #1.
August 9th, 2005 03:02 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>How could this be bad?<

It's not bad...it's just typical. Stones Inc. in action.

Besides...if it's good enough for Macca, U2, and Hank Williams Jr., it's good enough for Stones Inc. Right?

If thats his motive then he's doing what he's paid for anyway......Most average music fans not into hip hop will have no idea the boys have a new album out.This will let millions of em know...And it will be taped and edited to death so it will be good.But what can they do RJ and ONNYA are out due to lyrics....SOL would kill sales....Actually a killer version of BOMH would be the ticket!!
August 9th, 2005 03:06 PM
Monkey Woman They'll play warhorses, then. And maybe a "clean" version of RJ, by mumbling over the dirty words...
August 9th, 2005 03:09 PM
jb The tour is a bust!!!!
August 9th, 2005 03:10 PM
beer I remember Jagger on NFL with Dennis Miller. Mick was showing his video for God Gave Me Everything. The football fans went wild and the album went onto become the smash hit that it is to this day.

-
August 9th, 2005 03:11 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
jb wrote:
The tour is a bust!!!!

Get a little laughing gas too, jb. Or Cohl will be so sad.
August 9th, 2005 03:16 PM
jb
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Get a little laughing gas too, jb. Or Cohl will be so sad.

No show is sold out....Detroit and Durham appear disastorous!!!! No one would go to Durham if they want to have fun!!!!
August 9th, 2005 05:37 PM
Some Guy I'm so excited I'm typing this with my left hand!
August 9th, 2005 08:03 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Mick would sell his soul for a US #1 album.
August 9th, 2005 10:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mmdog wrote:
I don't think this means the Stones will play the Super Bowl at all. That would require the Stones to actually show up at some cheesy halftime show.

They won't.
August 10th, 2005 12:31 AM
Poplar
quote:
jb wrote:
The tour is a bust!!!!

having been gone for a few days, it's nice to see everything is in order here.

August 10th, 2005 05:08 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Mick would sell his soul for a US #1 album.

a bit late for that!!!
August 10th, 2005 05:09 AM
Gazza
quote:
beer wrote:
I remember Jagger on NFL with Dennis Miller. Mick was showing his video for God Gave Me Everything. The football fans went wild and the album went onto become the smash hit that it is to this day.

LOL
August 10th, 2005 05:49 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Poplar wrote:

quote:
jb wrote:
The tour is a bust!!!!

having been gone for a few days, it's nice to see everything is in order here.

LOL
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)