ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Thejuf
Warm-up gig yesterday
© Virgin Records with exclusive authorization to Forty Licks and Rocks Off
With very special thanks to Thejuf for getting the authorization!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Newsweek" article & interview on new album & tour Return to archive
August 8th, 2005 07:51 AM
Gazza Satisfaction Guaranteed

They're not exactly a boy band, but there's no denying the bad-boy appeal of the Rolling Stones. Now they're back—again—with a new CD and tour.

By Lorraine Ali
Newsweek
Aug. 15, 2005 issue - For a month now, the world's greatest rock- and-roll band has been holed up in this private school in Toronto—putting itself back together again for yet another tour—and it's made itself right at home in typical fashion. In the room Mick Jagger has appropriated, white curtains are pulled wide open for maximum sunlight, fluffy white rugs cover the floor and a humidifier blasts 24/7 to protect his 62-year-old voice from the arctic AC. In fact, he's shivering: like the other Stones, he has zero body fat. (He works out daily with a dance instructor—"not exactly a choreographer; he just helps me plot out my stage moves.") He's wearing loose white cotton pants, a pink, pin-striped dress shirt, black and red Adidas. He points to a full-length gray and white fur coat. "I was wearing that because it's so cold in here," he says, "but I thought I'd better take it off before you came in, or it could look a little... well, too much."
Keith Richards, meanwhile, has converted a classroom into a candlelit den, with blackout curtains, dozens of blood-red roses and a skull he uses for a candy dish. Cigarette smoke hangs in the air. "It's comfy, innit?" he says, gesturing around with a clawlike hand. Richards, 61, wears a tattered scarf around his head, and random charms—an eagle head, a cross, a Chinese coin—hanging from his matted quasi dreads. He says he has no idea what-all is in his hair: his kids and his friends like to decorate him while he's passed out. Richards has no trainer, no regimen, and plots out exactly nothing. "Mick has to get up in the morning with a plan," Richards says. "Who he's going to call, what he's going to eat, where he's going to go. Me, I wake up, praise the Lord, then make sure all the phones are turned off. If we were a mum-and-pop operation, then he'd be Mum."
This mum-and-pop operation called the Rolling Stones has been in business now for 43 years. Just three of the original five—Jagger, Richards and drummer Charlie Watts—are still running the shop; guitarist Brian Jones died in 1969 and bassist Bill Wyman retired in 1993. They haven't had a No. 1 album since "Tattoo You" in 1981. But while most of their peers have either died, dropped into obscurity or taken to limping periodically through sad "reunion" tours, the Stones remain one of the world's top concert attractions. Want a ticket for this year's tour, which kicks off in Boston on Aug. 21? Hurry, it's almost sold out. The question is, when they step onstage, do they still feel it? The answer is, why else would they bother? "I could see why some people may think we're phoning it in after all this time," says Richards. "But playing the music we do, and playing it with these guys, 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' can be a new song to me every night. I mean, we don't need to do it to feed our families. We don't need to do it to prove anything. And nobody wants to be the first one to get off a moving bus. You end up in the dust—'Uh, excuse me, where's my suitcase?' "
In recent years, the Stones' tours have gotten more praise than the new albums they write and record before hitting the road. Their last album, the double-CD "Forty Licks," was mostly repackaged material. "There's no harm in doing that occasionally," says Jagger, "but we didn't want to do it again so soon. You become like an oldies band." The Stones' latest, "A Bigger Bang," which comes out in early September, is a welcome throwback to their scrappy beginnings. This time all the songs are new—a raw, "Little Red Rooster"-style blues number, a couple of Richards's endearingly bedraggled ballads and the usual raunchy, swaggering club anthems. Jagger is clearly proud of it. "We put new stuff out because we still can," he says. "We have lots of it—it's not like we're just eking it out. Rock fans tend to be conservative. 'Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar".' Yeah, well, but listen to this, c—t."
Producer Don Was, says Jagger, "is always worried the songs won't sound like the Rolling Stones. I don't care if it sounds like them—us. It would be an achievement if it didn't." But "A Bigger Bang" is classic Stones all the way. It's their longest record in 33 years and is sequenced to sound like two sides of an old vinyl album. "The record company felt it was too long," says Jagger. "But I said, 'What's the favorite Rolling Stones album of all time?' 'Well, "Exile on Main Street".' 'There, you see? "Exile." And how long is that?' 'It's over an hour.' 'And the problem is?' 'Uh, nothing'."
Jagger and Richards say they worked together more closely on "A Bigger Bang" than they have in years, partly because Watts, the only other original Stone, was battling throat cancer. "We were sitting across the table looking at each other," says Richards, "like, 'You. Me. That's all there is.' It was all built on two acoustic guitars, and in such a sparse and stripped-down way that if you tried to elaborate on it later you'd lose the whole essence of it." The Stones' new music sounds more spontaneous than most of their recent efforts, and Jagger sounds angrier than he has in years. Since the band's last studio album, Jagger has ended his 23-year relationship with wife Jerry Hall, and was taken to court over an illegitimate child he fathered with a Brazilian model, which may explain such lyrics as "Oh no! Not you again, f—-ing up my life/It was bad the first time around/Better take my own advice." But the most searing moment, on a song called "Sweet Neo Con," isn't personal but political. "You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of s—t." "It is direct," Jagger says with a laugh. "Keith said [he breaks into a dead-on Keith imitation], 'It's not really metaphorical.' I think he's a bit worried because he lives in the U.S." Jagger smiles. "But I don't."

The tension between Jagger and Richards—primarily, but not exclusively, creative—has always been at the heart of the Stones. Jagger the arty, natty cosmopolitan, Richards the scruffy blues purist and regular guy; Jagger dancing and prancing, Richards standing there with a cigarette dangling. Over the years, they've quarreled and reconciled, recorded solo albums and reunited, and neither has really thrived without the other. "Many times we wanted to kill each other," Richards says now, "or at least cause some serious damage. But it's always about details, never about fundamentals. An album cover—'You can't do that!' It's quite silly, really. I've known the man since he was 4... and I was 3i [he gives a broad wink]. Our kids have all grown up around each other—the Jaggers and the Richardses. All of that has made us patriarchs." They can both remember when they were teenage amateurs, opening for the real patriarchs: Bo Diddley and Little Richard. "The only blue I knew was the school blazer I'd just shed," says Richards, in a well-rehearsed line. For all Jagger's strutting arrogance and Richards's world-weary decadence, they've hung on to a touch of that innocence. Each keeps the other honest: Richards is there to remind Jagger that he's a musician; Jagger is there to remind Richards that he's a star.

As usual, the Stones' new tour will feature grandiose spectacle that's at odds with their rock-club roots and their musical minimalism. It will have two stages, at least a truckload of props—including some mysterious papier-mache screaming heads that now sit on a table outside Jagger's dressing room—and seats for a few lucky fans that are built right into the stage set. And as usual, the type-A Jagger is all over everything. "What about concert T shirts?" he asks rhetorically, running his hands through his hair until it stands up like a fright wig. "The set? The stages? The videos, onstage and off? There's too much to do, and not enough hours in the day. And then there's the rehearsal. [He puts on a fake cruise-director smile.] 'Is everyone all right, then? Are we all happy?' Nannying."
And—as usual—Richards is sitting back and taking the long view. "It's that fascination with music that is still the core of the band," he says. "Charlie sits around and talks about this fantastic Coltrane solo. Thank God, it's the one thing that hasn't left us. You can get disillusioned with the state of the world, but the music's still OK." He takes another drag of his cigarette. "Maybe we're just a product of our time," he muses. "Would our band translate if we were just starting out now? I'd say we'd probably be able to make a living, but I'd keep the day job." For Jagger, this is the day job—at least until he gets onstage. "Sometimes you might feel 'Here we go again.' Feel a little cynical about it," he says. "But you get out there and it takes over." And here they go again.
© 2005 Newsweek, Inc.

August 8th, 2005 08:00 AM
charlotte thanks Gazza, here is the url:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8852125/site/newsweek/

August 8th, 2005 08:02 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Great Article
August 8th, 2005 08:24 AM
corgi37 Behold, for there is a tear in my eye.
August 8th, 2005 08:25 AM
Jair Thanks Gazza. Good reading for a lazy Monday morning!
August 8th, 2005 08:29 AM
exile great story
August 8th, 2005 09:41 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
"We put new stuff out because we still can," he says. "We have lots of it—it's not like we're just eking it out. Rock fans tend to be conservative. 'Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar".' Yeah, well, but listen to this, c—t."
Producer Don Was, says Jagger, "is always worried the songs won't sound like the Rolling Stones. I don't care if it sounds like them—us. It would be an achievement if it didn't." But "A Bigger Bang" is classic Stones all the way. It's their longest record in 33 years and is sequenced to sound like two sides of an old vinyl album. "The record company felt it was too long," says Jagger. "But I said, 'What's the favorite Rolling Stones album of all time?' 'Well, "Exile on Main Street".' 'There, you see? "Exile." And how long is that?' 'It's over an hour.' 'And the problem is?' 'Uh, nothing'."

I love it when Mick is being cheeky! A nice departure from his often diplomatic statements.
August 8th, 2005 10:10 AM
The Wick Thanks for the post. Great article.
August 8th, 2005 01:34 PM
The Wick I agree with Jagger that constantly trying to sound like the Stones is a trite and stupid way to go about making records and that is why I would like to see Was gone. However, when you end up with a piece of shite like SOL, sounding like the Stones would be the better option. He is either stuck in that, "I want to be on the charts" mode or he genuinely likes this stuff. The first mode is terrible for obvious reasons, whereas the second one is disturbing because it basically means that he has lost the ability to come up with consistently great music. I still think he comes up with superb songs, and contrary to others, I enjoyed Don't Stop (the rock mix) and especially Keys to Your Love- both Jagger tunes I might add. It didn't sound like they were trying to recreate a sound, but at the same time, with less polished production and better lyrics on Don't Stop, I thought they would have been great. Even Anybody Seen My Baby was interesting in a way because it was different. I admit that I would have loved to have heard the version Keith Richards mentioned without those horrible loops and God awful rap, but at least it had something. SOL is just shocking and sounds like Jagger trying to immitate that pansy Rob Thomas. Even if it doesn't sound like the Stones, I would listen and probably enjoy it, but SOL is fucking awful and anyone who thinks differently is kidding his / herself.
August 8th, 2005 05:29 PM
gotdablouse Excellent read, thanks.
I'm not sure I understand the Was quote like this, maybe he was misquoted.

To me what is really disturbing is Mick constantly writing about hi d**k aka "love" these days, except on BOMH and Sweet NeoCon obviously, I'm really appalled. Does he have really nothing left to say ?
August 8th, 2005 05:48 PM
Saint Sway I smell a new sig:
"Rock fans tend to be conservative. 'Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar".' Yeah, well, but listen to this, cunt!" ~ Mick Jagger

best Stones article in years

thank you
August 8th, 2005 05:57 PM
texile excellent points wick and gotdablouse.....keep up the objectivity! its easy to get caught up in the hype....ie - the constant references to exile....and yes, jagger has increasingly used his cock issues to measure love and so forth;
and wick, the fact that jagger actually LIKES shit like sol IS more disturbing factor, because its sincere mediocrity;
however, i love the fact that, regarding neocon, keith was the one who was skittish, not jagger - that's very promising to me.
August 8th, 2005 06:07 PM
Saint Sway paper mache masks? hmm.... interesting.... perhaps for Sympathy? neo con? hmm....
August 8th, 2005 07:14 PM
FPM C10 "But the most searing moment, on a song called "Sweet Neo Con," isn't personal but political. "You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of s—t."

NO COMMENT!!!
August 8th, 2005 07:47 PM
gotdablouse Hey that's the only song so far other than BOMH that isn't about "love", I'll take anything at this point !
August 8th, 2005 08:01 PM
Soldatti Great article with funny quotes.
Thanks Gazza.
August 8th, 2005 08:15 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Great article with funny quotes.

qft (quoted for truth)

quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Thanks Gazza.

yup - thanks.

(and thanks to charlotte for the article link, too)

can anybody else get the picture gallery to work (from the msnbc site)..?
August 8th, 2005 08:50 PM
texile yeah c10 - the moment of truth has arrived......ive got a stones-freak conservative aquaintance and im gonna be loving it!
August 9th, 2005 03:11 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
To me what is really disturbing is Mick constantly writing about hi d**k aka "love" these days, except on BOMH and Sweet NeoCon obviously, I'm really appalled. Does he have really nothing left to say ?

Ah, but then he's Mick Jagger, isn't he? It's one of his best topics...

Seriously, "love" and lust are the kind of subject which are never exhausted, especially as song material. Keith's songs too are about it.
August 9th, 2005 05:00 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I smell a new sig:
"Rock fans tend to be conservative. 'Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar".' Yeah, well, but listen to this, cunt!" ~ Mick Jagger

beat y'all to it by 24 hours
August 9th, 2005 06:30 AM
Monkey Woman Best Mick quote in years!
August 9th, 2005 07:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Best Mick quote in years!

Best article in some time.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)