ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Thejuf
Warm-up gig yesterday
© Virgin Records with exclusive authorization to Forty Licks and Rocks Off
With very special thanks to Thejuf for getting the authorization!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick's '69 drug bust: the cop's side of the tale Return to archive
August 7th, 2005 04:13 PM
Monkey Woman So, the tale is coming out that "Jagger's drug bust detective regrets arrest". He says he was honest (well, he was bound to) and that the aftermath "almost ruined him". Crocodile tears, or genuine feeling? More tale-spinning or just a testimony of the Stones's ability to protect themselves at all "costs"? Today, we can only guess.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/jaggers%20drug%20bust%20detective%20regrets%20arrest

JAGGER'S DRUG BUST DETECTIVE REGRETS ARREST

SIR MICK JAGGER

The British detective who busted SIR MICK JAGGER for drugs in 1968 drugs wishes he had left the ROLLING STONE alone, because the aftermath of the arrest almost ruined him.

Former Metropolitan police sergeant ROBIN CONSTABLE was accused by Jagger of planting heroin in his London home and then offering to drop the possession charge in exchange for $1,800 (GBP1,000).

Constable vehemently denies the accusation but was subsequently forced to abandon a libel action against Jagger when he ran out of money.

He says, "We went so far and stopped. It was going to cost us a lot of money. That was the end of it. We just settled our grievances.

"There was no money involved. I don't care about it any more. It's too late now. A lot of time has passed and it is all water under the bridge. We shouldn't have arrested him! Anyone else!"

His wife of 44 years, MABEL, says of her husband, "He was not corrupt at all. He was a very good detective."
07/08/2005 14:11

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 7th, 2005 04:16 PM
T&A 1967, I believe, no?
August 7th, 2005 04:30 PM
Monkey Woman No, it was Mick's second drug bust, the one where cops got into the Cheyne Walk appartment when Mick and Marianne were there and found some hashish there. Mick was found guilty and fined. (The judge didn't want the same brouhaha as in 1967, I guess.)

Police archive recently revealed that they thought Jagger was "consorting with the dregs of society". Much discussed here recently, of course!
August 8th, 2005 10:57 AM
jpenn11 There is more to the story. This is from yesterday's New York Times:

... One of the Stones' most infamous public dust-ups took place on May 28, 1969, when the police raided the London apartment of Mick Jagger. The bobbies said they found heroin, LSD and marijuana; Mr. Jagger insisted that the drugs had been planted there. Ultimately, he was fined 200 pounds (about $500) for possession of cannabis.

Last week, the British National Archives released some 500 pages of documents about the case. ...

Mr. Jagger's girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, provided the police with her version of the bust.

...All the men were in plain clothes. I never heard anyone shout but saw someone's hand over Mick's mouth. ...I assumed Mick was being attacked by thugs and ran from the kitchen up the stairs to the front door, which I opened. At this Mick said, "Shut the door, you silly twit, it's the police.

In his statement, Mr. Jagger said the police suggested that he betray Ms. Faithfull to save his skin.

...He said, "Don't worry about it, Mick, we can sort it all out." I said, "No, we can't." He said, "Don't worry about it." I said, "I don't believe you can do anything." He said, "Yes, we can." I said, "How?" He said, "Well, you plead not guilty and she pleads guilty." By she I understood him to mean Marianne. I was taken aback.

According to Mr. Jagger, Mr. Constable said that a bit of bribery would smooth the way.

He said, "How much is it worth to you?" I didn't reply but merely shrugged my shoulders. He said, "Come on, how much is it worth to you?" He seemed to want me to name a figure but I did not want to. The conversation was being held in an undertone but not a whisper. He twice asked me how much it was worth. He then said "a thousand," but I never replied. After this he said to me, "You can have the money back if it doesn't work."

Several years later, senior detectives of Scotland Yard's drug squad were tried on charges of corruption much like the kind Mr. Jagger described.

August 9th, 2005 03:28 AM
RSJW Cool, post, Monkey Woman.

What ever prompted someone to look up that policeman NOW...and re-hash (no pun) the whole thing?
August 9th, 2005 05:27 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
RSJW wrote:
Cool, post, Monkey Woman.

What ever prompted someone to look up that policeman NOW...and re-hash (no pun) the whole thing?

Thanks, RSJW.
They "rehashed" it after he release of that year's British National archives, as jpenn posted above. (There was a lot of threads about it just a week or two ago here and at other Stones boards.)
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)