ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Thejuf
Warm-up gig yesterday
© Virgin Records with exclusive authorization to Forty Licks and Rocks Off
With very special thanks to Thejuf for getting the authorization!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Slash On A Mick Taylor`s Solo Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 5th, 2005 10:35 AM
Bruno Stone Once I read somewhere that Slash`s favourite solo ever was the Mick Taylor`s one in Dead Flowers from Ladies and Gentlemen. I never heard it. Is it that killer?
August 5th, 2005 10:37 AM
jb Yes....................but everything MT did with the band was killer...simply the greatest player at the right time for the band.
August 5th, 2005 10:43 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
Yes....................but everything MT did with the band was killer...simply the greatest player at the right time for the band.

Hi jb!
how are you?

nowadays I got the australia 1973 bootlegs and that so good!
Taylor shines on these records!!!
August 5th, 2005 10:47 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi jb!
how are you?

nowadays I got the australia 1973 bootlegs and that so good!
Taylor shines on these records!!!

Indeed!!! Perth and Sydney are great...and recently have been upgraded in quality!!! Is "Bitch" feckin unbelievable!!!!
August 5th, 2005 10:51 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

Indeed!!! Perth and Sydney are great...and recently have been upgraded in quality!!! Is "Bitch" feckin unbelievable!!!!

and the best versions of RO never played IMHO!!
August 5th, 2005 10:56 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

and the best versions of RO never played IMHO!!

Yes, RO as it was meant to be heard!!!! GS with the melodic as blistering MT solos, and TD with Mick always saying "one thing Charlie"...................I am moist!!!
August 5th, 2005 11:18 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
Yes, RO as it was meant to be heard!!!! GS with the melodic as blistering MT solos, and TD with Mick always saying "one thing Charlie"...................I am moist!!!

good to see you re in great shape...I ve moved yesterday and got no internet for a few days, so have a nice week end
Jewmcfly

August 5th, 2005 11:20 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

good to see you re in great shape...I ve moved yesterday and got no internet for a few days, so have a nice week end
Jewmcfly

yOU TOO..AND STAY COOL!!!
August 5th, 2005 12:52 PM
Saint Sway Taylor was amazing in this era!!!
Just outstanding. He was even Black Crowesesque.

he was actually THAT good.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
August 5th, 2005 03:24 PM
wgwalsh MT did so much for the boys. His playing could not be filled by just one man. It took MJ playing guitar with Woody and Keith to fill the gaps. This was very evident on SOME GIRLS.

The 1975 tour was ragged by MT's absence. Even Mac and Ollie couldn't fill in the gaps. Then KR's spoon took over. Poor MJ had to carry most of the weight.

The 1978 tour was more integrated, but that integration seemed to fade on the 1981 tour.

Wish MT would have stuck it out. Life is about freedom and so is the band's music.

Bob Dylan's work with Taylor is great.

I had hoped Taylor would have enjoyed much more success than he had. Jimi Hendrix was impressed with Taylor and so was Ian Billen.
August 5th, 2005 06:59 PM
Child of the Moon Hearing that Dead Flowers solo is great - watching the fucking thing is something else entirely. Being a guitarist and watching him play that (or anything else from that movie) is like flying too close to the sun and realizing your wings are made of wax.
August 5th, 2005 07:23 PM
Soldatti Dead Flowers on L&G is one of the best moments of the Stones history. I love when Mick & Keith are sharing the mic during the chorus.
August 5th, 2005 07:35 PM
glencar Joshy, you must send it to me!
August 5th, 2005 08:29 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, you must send it to me!

L&G was why this band wll never have to say there sorry....they were so fucking good, that t even makes up for 24 years of crap(sans SOL).
August 5th, 2005 09:00 PM
Funky Crow Mick Taylor added a different dynamic to the sound of the band.
Listen to Love You Live. Juiced up and sloopy.
Ronnie is Ronnie. Juiced up and sloppier.
Listen to Happy Birthday Nicky. Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mick just wails in such a subtle in your face way.
If anyone is looking for this show, just email me.
Love to share the wealth.
August 6th, 2005 12:15 AM
texile everyone said everything i feel about taylor;
the australia 73 tour was incredible........this was the taylor/stones dynamic at its most sublime.
if anybody can listen to the live 72,73 version of ycagwyw and NOT miss taylor......i don't what to say.
my pick for favorite is the solo for ycagwyw from ny 72....
or no expectations from the 73 benefit concert........
taylor is the least known stone to the general public and the BEST thing that ever happened to them.
and he's going to have to fucking DIE before he gets the recognition he deserves.
keith treated him like shit....but jagger wrote some his best stuff with mt.
August 6th, 2005 08:35 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jb wrote:
and TD with Mick always saying "one thing Charlie"...................

right with you jb...those taylor era TD outros are the nuts...
August 6th, 2005 08:39 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:

Bob Dylan's work with Taylor is great.

shouldn't that be Taylor's work with Dylan...anyway

yes... "sweetheart like you" is absolutley gorgeous
[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
August 6th, 2005 12:42 PM
texile
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

right with you jb...those taylor era TD outros are the nuts...

yeah, live tumbling dice in 72, 73 was beautiful.......that build up toward the end, where charlie/keith/taylor are just slowly grooving and jagger is repeating....'i love ya honey...'and then charlie brings the groove to a climax toward the end;
that song was never that sweet again!
August 6th, 2005 03:09 PM
Bruno Stone Tumbling Dice is horrible on Four Flicks. Keith and Ronnie`s fault. There`s a moment when I really want to KILL Keith: he just stops playing, stares at the audience and starts to laugh, that is a pathetic scene. If you can not play your guitar properly you can not strut like a pirate-great rock n roll guitar player.

And there`s that "solo" by Ronnie....

Poor Mick. Always carrying the show and being a professional artist, but his guitar mates...
August 6th, 2005 03:25 PM
jb
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
Tumbling Dice is horrible on Four Flicks. Keith and Ronnie`s fault. There`s a moment when I really want to KILL Keith: he just stops playing, stares at the audience and starts to laugh, that is a pathetic scene. If you can not play your guitar properly you can not strut like a pirate-great rock n roll guitar player.

And there`s that "solo" by Ronnie....

Poor Mick. Always carrying the show and being a professional artist, but his guitar mates...

I gave it away it was so bad..the worst playing ever by Keith and Ronnie.....a complete and utter embarrassment to me as a Stones fan.
August 6th, 2005 03:44 PM
beer Taylor's solo on Dead Flowers from Ladies and Gentleman is great.

But i like his DF solo from Marquee '71 video better.

-
August 6th, 2005 04:05 PM
jb
quote:
beer wrote:
Taylor's solo on Dead Flowers from Ladies and Gentleman is great.

-

Is there aq bad Taylor Stones era performance-off course not!!!
August 6th, 2005 09:38 PM
texile no jb - the stones performance became spotty AFTER taylor.... the stones level of playing soared with taylor....
taylor was so consistent, keith was FORCED to keep up and he was better for it.
August 7th, 2005 12:22 AM
jpenn11
quote:
beer wrote:
Taylor's solo on Dead Flowers from Ladies and Gentleman is great.

My fav is the one from Leeds.

Recently heard the complete SFTD from Hyde Park. Taylor and Richards play lead at the same time near the end. Interesting "weave". Curious that when they started the '69 tour, Taylor was not given room to solo on that song.

quote:
texile wrote:
taylor was so consistent, keith was FORCED to keep up and he was better for it.

There are some who think Richards "checked out" during the '73 Euro tour so he would not have to keep up. I personally enjoy Richards' playing during that tour--when you can hear him--but others think he was on autopilot.
[Edited by jpenn11]
August 7th, 2005 04:51 AM
beer
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

Recently heard the complete SFTD from Hyde Park. Taylor and Richards play lead at the same time near the end. Interesting "weave". Curious that when they started the '69 tour, Taylor was not given room to solo on that song.

i dunno maybe i misunderstood yer post, but Taylor certainly played the 2nd solo on 1969 'Sympathy'... listen to Ya Ya's.

-
August 7th, 2005 11:45 AM
jpenn11
quote:
beer wrote:
i dunno maybe i misunderstood yer post, but Taylor certainly played the 2nd solo on 1969 'Sympathy'... listen to Ya Ya's.

Except for one of the Oakland shows (when they encountered electrical problems), Taylor did not perform an extended solo in the US until the Detroit show, so when they got to New York he of course was playing solos--and what solos!

The curious thing is why the solo was cut before and then added at Detroit. Did they think it was too long? Did Richards think the dual solos didn't work?

August 7th, 2005 12:43 PM
star star its a real shame they stopped playing SFTD after the Altamont disaster, by 1973 Taylor could've turned that into something even more mind blowing than in 1969--- i mean listen to the difference on street fighting man on Ya-Ya's and then on Brussels Affair. that guy had some magic fingertips
August 7th, 2005 12:47 PM
jb
quote:
star star wrote:
its a real shame they stopped playing SFTD after the Altamont disaster, by 1973 Taylor could've turned that into something even more mind blowing than in 1969--- i mean listen to the difference on street fighting man on Ya-Ya's and then on Brussels Affair. that guy had some magic fingertips

Agree 100%......MT made every song 100 times better live!!! I love this man!!!
August 7th, 2005 12:49 PM
star star sorry, i put "had" magic fingertips. my apologies he still DOES have magic fingertips!! well, he did the last time i saw him live anyway!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)