ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Thejuf
Warm-up gig yesterday
© Virgin Records with exclusive authorization to Forty Licks and Rocks Off
With very special thanks to Thejuf for getting the authorization!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Metallica To Play Full Set in SF Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 4th, 2005 09:51 PM
pdog They avg. about 1 1/2 hours give or take 15 minutes.
Show is to now start @ 6PM... Stones will go on at their usual 9:05 or 9:10 pm, slot. They may add a third band to play a short under 30 minute set, or so the rumbles go...
Beleive it or not, this is now moving tix for the 2nd show.
Not sure if there is a time restriction at Willie Mays (SBC) Park, I wonder how late they can play until.
August 5th, 2005 01:53 AM
Child of the Moon Man, at least you have Metallica, who maybe did at least oe or two good songs in their time. I have to deal with fucking Motley Crue.
August 5th, 2005 02:10 AM
pdog
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Man, at least you have Metallica, who maybe did at least oe or two good songs in their time. I have to deal with fucking Motley Crue.

Is that confirmed?
I'm so sorry !!!
YES! Metallica is tolerable. Back in the 80's I loved their first three records, after that, I moved on... So did they!
August 5th, 2005 04:12 AM
Mathijs Apparently the Stones need to add big acts to have the shows sold out. They did the same in Europe for the Licks tour. They added AC/DC to the bill of shows that weren't sold out. Actually quite sad. First aslk rediculous prices, and then you need to add a big act to have the show sold out.

Mathijs
August 5th, 2005 05:00 AM
pdog
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Apparently the Stones need to add big acts to have the shows sold out. They did the same in Europe for the Licks tour. They added AC/DC to the bill of shows that weren't sold out. Actually quite sad. First aslk rediculous prices, and then you need to add a big act to have the show sold out.

Mathijs

How much money do you think bands like Ac/Dc and Metallica make doing this?
August 5th, 2005 08:59 AM
Factory Girl I'd take Motley Crue over Metallica. I have never liked Met.
August 5th, 2005 09:07 AM
Madafaka
quote:
pdog wrote:

Not too much money, but is a marketing thing IMO.
August 5th, 2005 10:46 AM
mmdog
I doubt Metallica plays more than an hour. An opener gets 45 minutes. So if they get an hour that would be a little more than an average opener, but in no way a co-headliner. Mike McCready from Pearl Jam said in chat on Usatoday.com that Pearl Jam "might play an hour" when they open in Pittsburgh.
August 5th, 2005 10:48 AM
jb
quote:
mmdog wrote:

I doubt Metallica plays more than an hour. An opener gets 45 minutes. So if they get an hour that would be a little more than an average opener, but in no way a co-headliner. Mike McCready from Pearl Jam said in chat on Usatoday.com that Pearl Jam "might play an hour" when they open in Pittsburgh.

The show is still wide open..they have added, maybe, 3400 seats at this time.
August 5th, 2005 11:04 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Man, at least you have Metallica, who maybe did at least oe or two good songs in their time. I have to deal with fucking Motley Crue.

Is this real? That is absolutely pathetic. This ranks somewhere between Timberlake and the German/Nazi band from Licks, as one of the Stones lowest moments. C-Moonie, if you must see Motley open, please throw some parboiled Jimmy Dean sausages at them. Try to hit Nikki Sixx right in the face, then mouth to him "You want a piece of me, trout boy?!" Thanks.
August 5th, 2005 11:06 AM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Is this real? That is absolutely pathetic. This ranks somewhere between Timberlake and the German/Nazi band from Licks, as one of the Stones lowest moments. C-Moonie, if you must see Motley open, please throw some parboiled Jimmy Dean sausages at them. Try to hit Nikki Sixx right in the face, then mouth to him "You want a piece of me, trout boy?!" Thanks.

So true Moonie..and yes, you were right about the Pope..he refused to condem Palestinian Terrorists!!!!
August 5th, 2005 12:38 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:

Probably a lot. In the low to mid 6 figures for Metallica. They make about a half million or more guarantee for arena shows and even more for stadiums. They can sell out 1 night at SBC on their own and are moving a lot of tickets for these shows. I would venture to guess they are being well paid. They arent on tour so these require some special prep (rehearsals, crew etc)

Also an hour for Metallica is 7 or 8 songs. I dont think 75-90 mins is much of a stretch.
August 5th, 2005 12:41 PM
telecaster
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Apparently the Stones need to add big acts to have the shows sold out. They did the same in Europe for the Licks tour. They added AC/DC to the bill of shows that weren't sold out. Actually quite sad. First aslk rediculous prices, and then you need to add a big act to have the show sold out.

Mathijs

Almost as sad as playing in a Stones "cover band"
and bragging about it

That would be pathetic

But who would do that?

That.......is really sad
August 5th, 2005 02:06 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>> at least you have Metallica, who maybe did at least oe or two good songs in their time. I have to deal with fucking Motley Crue.<<<

No one has to deal with any of these bands. An openning act for a Stones show is irrelevent. The day belongs to the boys! I never see any openning bands anyway unless they are very exceptional. I'd rather hang in the parking lot and get juiced up and sloppy! Really, who gives a shit about an openning band when you're there to see The Stones? Also, I highly doubt that any openner is going to help move tickets. Matallica fans are not going to shell out big bucks just to hear them play for an hour. So, to think that having these bands are going to increase ticket sales is a little far fetched.
August 5th, 2005 02:09 PM
jb Pdog shall once again be humiliated......Have a blast in Jesey ...................bring home some Salt Water Taffy for your friends.
August 5th, 2005 02:22 PM
Dan Not too long ago I could get 12 $60 seats together. Those seem to be gone at least. Its Metallica's only shows of the year and they have quite a strong/die hard contingent. I believe they will help move a lot of tickets or else the STones wouldn't have hired them.
Personally if I paid anywhere near full price for a ticket I would want a decent opener.
August 5th, 2005 02:25 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
Not too long ago I could get 12 $60 seats together. Those seem to be gone at least. Its Metallica's only shows of the year and they have quite a strong/die hard contingent. I believe they will help move a lot of tickets or else the STones wouldn't have hired them.
Personally if I paid anywhere near full price for a ticket I would want a decent opener.

I hope your right...but I sense a disater ...same for Detroit, Pitt, Hartford, Hershey, Duke, Salt Lake, Denver, Anaheim, Tampa, etc..........
August 5th, 2005 02:27 PM
Nellcote Looking from the list, I'd take just about anything for an opener other than Black Eyed Peas or Moron 5.
Digging deep into my past Stones openers, for those thrilling days of yesteryear......

Stevie Wonder
Crusaders
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Living Colour
Lenny Kravitz

After Lenny, it went downhill....
August 5th, 2005 02:27 PM
jb "Ther Fly's"
August 5th, 2005 03:11 PM
The_Worst
quote:
jb wrote:

I hope your right...but I sense a disater ...same for Detroit, Pitt, Hartford, Hershey, Duke, Salt Lake, Denver, Anaheim, Tampa, etc..........

With Metallica on the bill I have no doubt both shows will be sold out...The only question is will the Metallica fans walk out midway through a 15 minute version of Miss You...
August 5th, 2005 04:42 PM
Dan
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

With Metallica on the bill I have no doubt both shows will be sold out...The only question is will the Metallica fans walk out midway through a 15 minute version of Miss You...

Not a chance, the ones who stick around will start walking out when they play "Streets Of Love" in the ballad slot 5 or 6 songs in.
August 5th, 2005 07:07 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

For you, my Moonie brother, I will do no less.
August 5th, 2005 07:15 PM
Mr D
if you believe what you hear. AC/DC got 3m for doing just 3 German dates with the Stones in 2003

and they played FULL ninety minute sets at each gig

it certainly helped shift tickets too, the crowds at each gig were probably 50/50 between stones and ac/dc fans. luckily for me they're my two fave bands in the world so i was in heaven @ Hockenheim
August 5th, 2005 07:29 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mr D wrote:

if you believe what you hear. AC/DC got 3m for doing just 3 German dates with the Stones in 2003

It's possible, the show in Hockenheim grossed $4.7 million.
$1 million for AC/DC is not unreal.
August 6th, 2005 01:31 AM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:

Let me see. Despite the fantasy quote above, Hershey, Hartford and Anaheim in reality have sold out. Tampa only has limited view seating remaining. Pitt sales are hard to judge since they are not using Ticketmaster. Duke sales have gone well and the show is a near sell out. You are correct, however, that Detroit, Salt Lake, and Denver have soft markets but these shows are the exceptions as opposed to the rule.

Also, just pulled up the second show at San Fran and it does appear that Metallica, in fact, is having an affect on ticket sales. The top price $450.00 tickets are gone, sold out. This is a dramatic change and must be attributed to the Metallica announcement. There do appear to be a number of nosebleed and $160.00 tickets remaining. However, these tickets, since they are lower priced tickets, will probably move as the show gets nearer. My prediction is that this show will either sell out or come awfully close to it. Of course, this will be countered with statements from the fantasy people that these are not "true" sell outs and there are no "true" sell outs that the ticket sales are poor or embarrassing. As I predicted,for these people, the fantasy persist.

One thing that continually gets lost or not mentioned when people talk about the sluggish sales at San Fran is that THE FIRST SHOW SOLD OUT WITHIN A WEEK. As I've mentioned before, the price of these tickets are excessively high. You can find only so many people willing to buy $450.00 tickets. There is a limit to what people can afford.

Given the outrageous prices, it's remakable that the Stones have done as well as they have.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 6th, 2005 01:40 AM
Poplar
Hella good post, Time, and long overdue.

August 6th, 2005 04:11 PM
jb
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Hella good post, Time, and long overdue.

happy, shinny, people smiling....................believe what you will....no show is 100% sold-out. For U2, you can't even pull up a single in almost any market. Same for the Macca. Detroit, Denver , Salt Lake , Pitt , and others are selling mediocre to poor...............Anaheim was drradful as well until Ameriquest gobbled up 10k tickets for their employees.
August 6th, 2005 04:12 PM
Dan There was a Metallica fan club sale and the $464 were reduced to $404 for that sale only.
August 6th, 2005 04:14 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
There was a Metallica fan club sale and the $464 were reduced to $404 for that sale only.

Isn't that guy Lars very mean to his lead singer? Also, why did they brutally terminate their second bass player who was a cool dude imo. Their lead guitarist is good....
August 6th, 2005 05:50 PM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:

happy, shinny, people smiling....................believe what you will....no show is 100% sold-out. For U2, you can't even pull up a single in almost any market. Same for the Macca. Detroit, Denver , Salt Lake , Pitt , and others are selling mediocre to poor...............Anaheim was drradful as well until Ameriquest gobbled up 10k tickets for their employees.

People with make believe fanaties just make up things that pop into their heads. They are the ones who truly believe what they will. In truth, Ananheim was sold out within 48 hours after tickets first went on sale. I just tried pulling up Stones tickets in a number of market and couldn't even pull up a single. Wonder why???
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)