ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Mixing and overdubbing Primitive Cool
Right Track Studios, NYC - March 1987
Rob Verhorst
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CYHMK live? No! Return to archive
08-04-02 05:34 PM
TT So you want CYHMK live? Let�s be serious. Keith never would be able to play that killer riff these days. And the studio track is so fucking great, it has got several climaxes. The instrumental parts would be a real disaster - LIVE. OK, there�s Chuck Leavell, he could do a lot:-�

By the way: leave Taylor at the bar - where he belongs.
08-04-02 06:22 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
TT wrote:
leave Taylor at the bar - where he belongs.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-men!

And all you Taylophites - he hasn't shown up to rehearsals, he hasn't said anything about it, what makes you think he's gonna do it? I got bad news for you kids, it's gonna be Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie allllll niiiiiight llllllllong!

Whoot whoot whoot! Ronnie is my darling!

But as for "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" live, I'm looking forward to this sucker, yessss I is.

Miss U.? Any of you silly Torontonians who are willing to share information and not horde it like evil gremlins? How're they sounding? Honestly?

-tSYX --- Ronnie = maliciously nutritious. High in fiber. I think. And therefore it is so.
08-04-02 06:53 PM
sirmoonie I want to hear it even if it is a disaster. And even if they play that dicked up instrumental part. Its one of their best songs and its never been played and it never will be if they don't do it this time around.

The thought of Mick and Keith getting together at a mike and wailing "Help me baby, ain't no stranger" makes the hair on my arms stand up. It did just now. God, I hope they play it. I hope they play it as an encore. I really do. I really fucking do.
08-04-02 09:01 PM
Riffhard TT,I gotta disagree on just about every line of your post.I don't want Taylor to replace Woody.I just want to see him grace the stage with the boys again.No one could argue that Stones greatest era was 69-74.Coincidently,those were the same years that a certain Mr. Mick Taylor was laying down the most beautiful vibrato that has ever been etched in wax.I would love to see Mick Taylor do a guest fill.God knows it would a whole hell of a lot better than that show killer Dave F'ing Matthews!I'm sure many here,myself included,have never had the pleasure of seeing the Stones during that era.So what is wrong with holding out hope?

As for seeing CYHMK live.Your kidding right?!Keith couldn't play that riff anymore?!What?Keef Riffhard could fart that riff in his sleep!How could any self respecting Stones fan not want to see them give it try?If MT is on stage it would sound great!Just to see them do this masterpeice would be incredible.They have never played it and it's time as come.I can just imagine that fuck you riff blarring out of Keef's stack.Man the place would just explode!I mean it's going to explode especially when Taylor walks on stage!

Riffhard
08-04-02 09:39 PM
FTELE52 The key to that riff is a ballsy neck 'bucker with the open G tuning and I am quite sure Keef could lay that fucker down with no problem. As for the solo, while it would be wonderful to hear MT playing, it's not complex at all and I am sure a sober Ronnie could bring some fire to it. So let's hope it's in the set.
08-04-02 10:50 PM
BILL PERKS THERE IS NO WAY THE BAND IN ITS CURRENT INCARNATION COULD DO THAT TRACK ANY JUSTICE.SAME WITH WINTER,SWAY,TIME WAITS ETC.THEY NEED TO STICK WITH WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT.
08-05-02 08:35 AM
TT Hey,

be serious. I�d love to hear that track, too. But there�s no way. Keith couldn�t play it. For sure. The riff for this is not one where you can lay back after the first chord. He would have to play sharp like a razor for a few minutes. NO FUCKIN�WAY. �t�s not Chuck berry style.

The 70�s are over, folks.
08-05-02 09:02 AM
winter UNBELIEVABLE, we, the Stones faithful, bitch for years that the set lists are not creative enough. Finally, it looks like they're going to mix things up and give us some rare treats. What is the response, - don't bother, it's gonna suck anyway.

Nice way to start my monday morning. I can clearly see the yellow in my cereal bowl this morning. You'd think these riffs are Steve Vai solos for christsake.

We'll I personally think this tour is going to rock. If you disagree, don't go.

Winter

08-05-02 09:58 AM
nankerphelge I'm with you Winter -- everyone wants variety, but don't play any Taylor-era classics because it can't be done?!? Buuuuullllll shit -- play 'em boys -- let 'em rip.
08-05-02 10:11 AM
Maxlugar Ronnie is going to bounce back better than ever this tour.

In '75 - '76 Woody played those licks with fire and abandon.

He gave new life to this band on stage.

Without the alkeyhol, hims gonna rock agin!

That beening said, if Ronnie is not going to give it his all, it will suck. Moonlight Mile was horrendous last time out. And Midnight Rambler was a tour de force but without a lead at all! What's with that?

But I have confidence Ronnie is going to do it up right this time out.
08-05-02 10:20 AM
nankerphelge I agree Maxy -- I think he'll be in fine form. He seems to have dried out and with nothing to do but rehearse and get it back together!! And I saw some pix of Keith in Toronto at Doug's board -- and he looks very good too. I think the boys realize they coasted a bit last time out and that they need to bring a little more to the party this time!!

I'm losing my mind here in VIRRRRRRRRRRginia!
Can't wait for this thing to get geared up and going.

08-05-02 11:25 AM
sirmoonie "THERE IS NO WAY THE BAND IN ITS CURRENT INCARNATION COULD DO THAT TRACK ANY JUSTICE.SAME WITH WINTER,SWAY,TIME WAITS ETC."

And Ventilator Blues, right? In other words, every song Taylor claims he wrote. That's some serious dumb ass shit to be posting. (Looks even dumber when its all in caps - I thought you figured out the intricacies of the cap lock key a week ago?).

Sway??? Why the fuck can't they play Sway? Mick Jagger could play lead on Sway! This isn't Mozart. Its rock and roll.

"THEY NEED TO STICK WITH WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT."

So do you. Go back to drinking at that Manhattan gay bar that you just happened to "stop" into, Perky. Its your only hope. Your only hope.
08-05-02 11:35 AM
Mr T winter nailed it. This is a dumbass thing to be arguing about. Would you rather hear a decent version of Suck On The Jugular - or at least hear the band attempt Can't You Hear Me Knocking(or one of the other songs mentioned)? I put my money on most people at least wanting to give CYHMK a shot - yes - EVEN IF Woodie is playing the solo!(Oh NO!?!?)

give it up - it's only rock & roll....

(oh, wait - your all gonna bitch when they play that too)
[Edited by Mr T]
08-05-02 02:53 PM
TT Once again,

be serious:
Look at what they rehearsed in 99 and what they ended up playing in Europe:

http://www.iorr.org/rew99/adam99.htm

Look closely: there�s CYHMK. It surely is a nice studio jam.
08-05-02 03:19 PM
sandrew TT - I take that as a good sign that the song is "teed up." I remember they rehearsed "Moonlight Mile" for the '94 tour and didn't end up playing it until '99. I think they'll give it a whack, at least for the theater shows.
08-05-02 03:32 PM
Maxlugar Yes and I remember them rehersing Ruby Tuesday in '81 and they played that the next time too.

08-05-02 04:01 PM
Riffhard There is NO doubt in my mind that if Keith wanted to play it they would.To even suggest that he could not play the riff is absurd.As Maxy says alot of it depends on Ronnie.If he remains sober and plays as well as he CAN then it very well may happen.

I have a friend who can play CYHMK spot on.If you didn't know any better you'd swear you were listening to Sticky Fingers.If my buddy can play it that perfectly I have every reason to beleive that the man who wrote it can also!

We will all know soon enough.

Riffhard
08-05-02 04:26 PM
T&A well, according to a couple of first-hand accounts from Toronto - they rehearsed CYHMK for 45 minutes Friday night and had all kinds of problems with it, much as they did in '99. My gut tells me that if we don't see this on the rehearsal list again this week it will be evidence that they have dropped it once and for all.
08-05-02 05:03 PM
winter T&A:

If this is the account you are referring to, it's Toronto Tom on Stonesdoug, and he said the following:

"They worked on this song for 45 minutes and I personally don't think they got it down yet. Ending a little rough and transition in the middle a little rough. But it was great hearing Mick crank out the first lines in that song."

Doesn't sound like "all kinds of problems" to me, sounds like it needs some more work. I am not saying they're definitely going to play it, but in my mind the actual post is not so negative. I do agree, however, that the coming weeks will tell.

Winter

08-05-02 05:14 PM
WahWahWoody Yes, I agree, it's great they are working on that song again. But the song needs a lot more work to be done. So if they will keep rehearsing it, we could be lucky this time. But I doubt it, to be honest.
08-05-02 06:12 PM
T&A Winter:

Actually I was referring to a different account that was not nearly so "forgiving." TTom's account is lukewarm - if you read between the lines. He's had very little, if anything, negative to say about anything he's heard so far. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but I have a hunch they're gonna dump this thing soon if they haven't already.
08-05-02 07:14 PM
Scot Rocks From the words of themselves...

Hear the voice of experience
A word from the wise
Grab opportunity
While you're alive
'Cos if you follow the crowd
'Cos if you act like a coward
You'll end up yelling out loud

Hold back
You'll regret it someday
Choke on that
Don't let it pass you by
Hold back
You better seize the hour

You look in your history books
You delve in the past
Stalin and Roosevelt
Both took their chances
And George grasped the nettle
It's do or dare
From the banks of the Delaware

Yeah don't hold back
Trust your gut reaction
Be bold, be bold baby
If you don't take chances
You won't make advances
Hold back yeah

Don't matter if you ain't so good looking
If you ain't sharp as a blade
Don't be afraid
Don't hold back
Life is passing you by
Choke on that
Keep on moving, keep on moving
Gotta run with the crowd
You'll end up in the madhouse
Shouting the cold walls down
Yeah don't hold back

Hold back
You're messing with your life
Hold back
Yeah life goes by fast sometimes
Be bold be bold be bold be bold baby
You're wasting your time
I want your attention
So pin back your ears

I've been climbing this tree of promises
For over forty years
Your vision get broken
And bust on the ground
So watch me, watch me rebound

Yeah don't hold back
You're wrecking your life
Choke on that
Don't hold back
No don't hold back
You're messing with your life

I say give it your best shot guys, don't Hold Back!!!!

btw I love those lyrics

Mark
08-05-02 07:53 PM
Martha

If it is absolutely true that the Stones have never played CYHMK live...I have one question...Why not?
08-05-02 10:13 PM
BILL PERKS CUZ THEY CANNOT PULL IT OFF,OBVIOUSLY!SIR MOONIE,KEEP THIS POST,IN ITS CAPITALIZED GLORY,NONE OF THE SONGS I MENTIONED WILL BE PLAYED.I DID NOT REFER TO ANY OTHER TAYLOR TUNES.THE ONES WITH THE SOARING LEADS THEY CANNOT PLAY WHETHER WOODY IS DRUNK,SOBER OR 20 YEARS YOUNGER.THAT IS WHY THEY'VE NEVER PLAYED THEM.MOONIE,I'LL BE IN SEC 13A GIANTS STADIUM LOT,SEPT 28 IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS ANYTHING PERSONAL.
08-05-02 10:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy They will play "Can't You Hear Me Knocking".

End of story.

Reason? Well, "Moonlight Mile" sucked in 99... did that stop them? Why did "Moonlight Mile" suck in 99? Because Ronnie was what we call PISS-ASS DRUNK, and the times he was not he was PISS-ASS STONED, and the miraculous times he was absolutely clean HE WISHED HE WASN'T. So, everything hinges on Ronnie. Now I thought Ronnie was clean, but after hearing accounts of his December concerts, apparently that's not the case. He's had some time to correct this, however, and everyone knows because it was mentioned specifically in the press conference "I think we're all glad Ronnie's here"... he knows his ass is on the line. Ronnie, if he isn't already sober now, will be taken aside by Mick and yelled at, which won't work, and then be taken aside by Keith, socked roughly, and told "I like you. But if I can drink a bottle a day and play my fuckin' guitar, you can too. And if by some miracle you can't, stop fuckin' doing it!"

Keith's such a bad role model for Ronnie. He should follow Charlie's example. But that's beside the point.

So Ronnie will sober up, they'll listen to the recording a few more times, Ronnie'll get it, and we'll be happy. And who knows? They might decide to drop the original ending jam, with the sax solo and all, and do something original with it. Which would be very interesting. Even if after all this they play it badly... they'll still play it. There're all sorts of examples from all the tours. "Miss You" from Flashpoint, "Let It Bleed" from Stripped, "Fingerprint File" from Love You Live, "Stray Cat Blues" from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, etc., etc., etc.

Also, they know this is the most popular song they haven't played yet. People are coming to hear them play it. They'll do it.

So can Ronnie do it? Yes he can. They should put Love You Live in his car and make him listen to it all the time and remind him "That was you, Ronnie! You! We all *know* you can play the guitar! Stop pretending!"

It all hinges on you, Ronnie! Don't let us down, Ronnie! But don't worry, I'll keep Micky T. well-fed and far away from your hallowed spot!

-tSYX --- Ronnie Train, it a-comin', think I'm gonna get on down, oh yeah!
08-06-02 12:01 AM
sirmoonie Did you just threaten me, dude? Man, I don't care how big and bad you are, we are either both going to see that show or, trust me, neither of us will. I know what I wanna do, but I'll go with your plan if I have to.

Talk to ya later. Right onnnnnnn, my man! Right onnnnnnn!!!!

"Pull it off, Ronnie! Pull it off!"

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road