ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Carlo
RIP our friend Carlo Little
© Topfoto with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith on Mick's working style Return to archive
August 7th, 2005 04:33 PM
Monkey Woman NEWSWEEK: Keith Richards On Mick Jagger's Working Style: 'Mick Has to Get Up in the Morning and Have a Plan...Me, I Wake Up, Praise the Lord, Then Make Sure All the Phones Are Turned Off'

Sunday August 7, 12:15 pm ET
Press Release Source: Newsweek

'If We Were a Mum-and-Pop Operation, Then He'd Be Mum,' He Says About Jagger

NEW YORK, Aug. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Rolling Stone Keith Richards offers some insight into his and Mick Jagger's working styles. "Mick has to get up in the morning with a plan," Richards tells Newsweek. "Who he's going to call, what he's going to eat, where he's going to go. Me, I wake up, praise the Lord, then make sure all the phones are turned off. If we were a mum-and-pop operation, then he'd be Mum."

On the eve of their next concert tour, Richards says that he and the rest of the band still enjoy performing after all these years. "I could see why some people may think we're phoning it in after all this time," he tells Senior Writer Lorraine Ali in the August 15 issue of Newsweek (on newsstands Monday, August 8). "But playing the music we do, and playing it with these guys, 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' can be a new song to me every night. I mean, we don't need to do it to feed our families. We don't need to do it to prove anything. And nobody wants to be the first one to get off a moving bus. You end up in the dust -- 'Uh, excuse me, where's my suitcase?'"

Ali spent time with the band in Toronto where they've been rehearsing for their next tour, which kicks off in Boston on Aug. 21. "It's that fascination with music that is still the core of the band," Richards says. Drummer Charlie Watts "sits around and talks about this fantastic Coltrane solo. Thank God, it's the one thing that hasn't left us. You can get disillusioned with the state of the world, but the music's still OK." He takes another drag of his cigarette. "Maybe we're just a product of our time," he muses. "Would our band translate if we were just starting out now? I'd say we'd probably be able to make a living, but I'd keep the day job."

For Jagger, this is the day job-at least until he gets onstage. "Sometimes you might feel 'Here we go again.' Feel a little cynical about it," Jagger tells Ali. "But you get out there and it takes over."

Ali also previews the new album, "A Bigger Bang," due in early September, calling it a welcome throwback to the Stones' scrappy beginnings. The most searing moment, on a song called "Sweet Neo Con," isn't personal but political. "You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of s--t." "It is direct," Jagger says with a laugh. "Keith said [he breaks into a dead-on Keith imitation], 'It's not really metaphorical.' I think he's a bit worried because he lives in the U.S." Jagger smiles. "But I don't."

The Stones' last CD, "Forty Licks" was mostly repackaged material. "There's no harm in doing that occasionally," says Jagger, "but we didn't want to do it again so soon. You become like an oldies band." On "A Bigger Bang," all the songs are new -- a raw, "Little Red Rooster" -- style blues number, a couple of Richards's endearingly bedraggled ballads and the usual raunchy, swaggering club anthems.

"We put new stuff out because we still can," Jagger says. "We have lots of it-it's not like we're just eking it out."

He says producer Don Was, "is always worried the songs won't sound like the Rolling Stones. I don't care if it sounds like them-us. It would be an achievement if it didn't." "A Bigger Bang" is their longest record in 33 years and is sequenced to sound like two sides of an old vinyl album. "The record company felt it was too long," says Jagger. "But I said, 'What's the favorite Rolling Stones album of all time?' 'Well, "Exile on Main Street".' 'There, you see? "Exile." And how long is that?' 'It's over an hour.' 'And the problem is?' 'Uh, nothing'."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050807/nysu009.html?.v=20
August 7th, 2005 04:51 PM
CraigP Great read... Interesting.
August 7th, 2005 04:58 PM
Monkey Woman More from the same article, courtesy of RubyFriday from Shidoobee:

http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm15.showMessage?topicID=11699.topic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8852125/site/newsweek/
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)