ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Carlo
RIP our friend Carlo Little
© Topfoto with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oasis singer 'as good as Elvis' (NSC) Return to archive
August 6th, 2005 07:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Oasis singer 'as good as Elvis'
BBC

Outspoken Oasis singer Liam Gallagher has compared himself favourably with Elvis Presley in an interview with a Spanish newspaper.

"There's Elvis and me. I couldn't say which of the two is the best," he told El Mundo.

Oasis are top of the bill at the three-day Benicassim Festival, which began on Thursday.

Gallagher has a reputation for his candid views, often criticising other bands and their music

August 6th, 2005 08:02 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ha, Ha! Well done Liam. Brilliant!

I really hope people on this board don't take his comments seriously. It's all supposed to be tounge in cheek. The man is a joker and statements like the above are just part of his character.

Long live the king of Brit-Pop!
August 6th, 2005 08:13 AM
J.J.Flash But Alex .... HOW could one pretend not to care about "quotable" Gallager, when every time he's got a chance, he spit his venom.......

Oh good man....
August 6th, 2005 08:28 AM
lotsajizz as us Red Sox fans would note "it's just Liam being Liam"
August 6th, 2005 08:35 AM
Poplar
an ass .. but his band rocks..

i'll see 'm in the fall
August 6th, 2005 08:46 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
But Alex .... HOW could one pretend not to care about "quotable" Gallager, when every time he's got a chance, he spit his venom.......

Oh good man....

Oh I don't know. After 10 years of his nonsense, you just get used to it. You learn not to take it seriously. He's never going to change. If you’re a fan, you just shrug your shoulders and if your not, I guess you just have to ignore it.

I honestly don't understand why so many get riled by his comments. I don't think it's a coincidence that many of those are American. He’s VERY English and so is his humor. I guess some just can't connect

In all honesty, there isn't a great deal of Oasis fans on this board. I'm pretty certain that Ten Thousand Motels started this thread to start a mini slagging match between the minority and the majority.

If that’s the case, then bring it on!

August 6th, 2005 08:52 AM
blackandblue I couldn't care less
August 6th, 2005 02:39 PM
Gazza Maybe he's trying to live up to the title of his new album...as long as he believes it, thats fine.

I do find it hard to take this shit seriously, even as someone who used to like Oasis a lot. Pointless getting outraged, its just a giggle.

Alan McGee, the band's ex-manager used to describe him as the greatest frontman in the world. I've seen Oasis a few times and they put on a good rock n roll show, but Liam has the moves and stage presence of a gnat, albeit a mouthy one.

A great frontman doesnt even have to be someone whose music you admire. It should be quite obvious.

Jagger, Springsteen, Elvis, Prince, Michael Jackson, James Brown, etc. all have 'it'. Liam doesn't.

Liam has a certain charisma and the double-act with his brother is good for a laugh, but in concert anytime I've seen him he really struggles as a vocalist and has to let the audience bail him out on the higher notes.

Noel I have a lot more time for.
[Edited by Gazza]
August 6th, 2005 02:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I honestly don't understand why so many get riled by his comments. I don't think it's a coincidence that many of those are American.

well so far no-one has got riled, let alone any Americans so maybe that says something..

I'll save the Yanks and yourself some time by anticipating the tone of most of the next 20 posts from the other side of the Atlantic

"Oasis Sucks"

"Who Cares?"

"Who are Oasis?"

There you go. Job done. I return you to your normal programming

[Edited by Gazza]
August 6th, 2005 03:04 PM
Poison Dart Nobody in the United States even know who Oasis is. They may remember them from ten years ago with that What's the Story album (which by the way was never half as big in the States as it was in Europe)but that's about it.

But I can't stress to you enough that Oasis is not considered a major rock act in the United States.

If you mentioned them in the same class as say the Stones or U2 in the U.S. people would laugh at you. That's if they even knew who Oasis was.

As a matter of fact I remember only a couple of years back they couldn't even sell out 3,000 seat club shows in the Boston area.
August 6th, 2005 04:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Nobody in the United States even know who Oasis is. They may remember them from ten years ago with that What's the Story album (which by the way was never half as big in the States as it was in Europe)but that's about it.

But I can't stress to you enough that Oasis is not considered a major rock act in the United States.

theyre not really that bothered about that, to be honest

to some acts, being big in the US isnt the be-all and end-all of everything

theres a lot of acts who dont 'translate' from one culture to the next. Yet theyre still pretty huge in certain markets and still sell by the shitload and get very rich in the process

Oasis are one of the biggest selling acts in the world DESPITE not meaning shit in the US, more so than most top selling American rock acts - many of whom maybe also dont do as well in non-US markets
[Edited by Gazza]
August 6th, 2005 06:22 PM
Soldatti The Oasis fanbase in the States is 100,000-200,000. The last 3 albums sold that.
August 7th, 2005 07:29 AM
Honky Tonk Man A few months back, Oasis sold out Madison Square Garden in two hours. I think thats the mark of a band who are popular.
August 7th, 2005 07:55 AM
exile you could compare him with a Hemorrhoid......
August 7th, 2005 09:13 AM
lotsajizz as the Clash sang "I'm so bored with the USA"
August 7th, 2005 05:25 PM
Col
quote:
Gazza wrote:

theyre not really that bothered about that, to be honest

to some acts, being big in the US isnt the be-all and end-all of everything

theres a lot of acts who dont 'translate' from one culture to the next. Yet theyre still pretty huge in certain markets and still sell by the shitload and get very rich in the process

Oasis are one of the biggest selling acts in the world DESPITE not meaning shit in the US, more so than most top selling American rock acts - many of whom maybe also dont do as well in non-US markets
[Edited by Gazza]
[/quote

I don't beleive for a second that the Gallaghers aint bothered about not making it in America. Of course, they say that, who knows, they might even convince themselves that they beleive it. But considering that their idols include the Beatles 'n' Stones, I would say that they would want to follow in their footsteps and make it big in USA. It would be a deep aspiration for them which has been a bit unfullfilled. They aint going to say that in public though, unless Noel admits it in his 60th birthday biography.

[quote]Honky Tonk Man wrote:
A few months back, Oasis sold out Madison Square Garden in two hours. I think thats the mark of a band who are popular.

Fair enough but you could say that about any band who have a hard-core following. If Cliffy Poo Richard played one show a year at MSG, he would sell out in seconds. These kind of statements mean nothing! The Stones having a No.1 album in their 60's won't necessarily mean that it's any good. But it will be excellent for bragging rights!!!

August 7th, 2005 05:25 PM
Col Hmmm...

That last post didn't quite work out...
August 8th, 2005 12:57 AM
Bloozehound not that this will come as a surprise anyone, but I'm american and I've never been much of an Oasis fan

I actually have a few freinds that are, but not myself

BUT

I'll be seeing them live next month at the ACL music fest here, i'm going friday and saturday, the only reason we're going Sat is to take my wife's little sister to see Jet and Oasis play (shes a huge fan of jet)

I'm going with fresh ears, but I really don't anticipate I'll dig it, I'll get back to you if I do, but from what I can remember hearing of them, what little bit its been, they're not my cup of tea

we'll see
August 8th, 2005 02:40 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Long live the king of Brit-Pop!

Right on!

[Edited by MrPleasant]
August 8th, 2005 05:16 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I have to say that I am an Oasis fan and I feel the same way as HonkyTonk. You have to take Liam with a pinch of salt. He was probably trying to wind someone up with the comment about Elvis.
Oasis are satisfied with what they have achieved here in the UK and probably dont give a shit about there success in america. They are similar in fate to one of their idol bands SLADE. They never made it big in the US nad they were huge here
August 8th, 2005 05:31 AM
Jumacfly Liam is a great comic....we should make a book with his best quotes
you see Alex I ve been cool and didn t say the band sucks
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)