ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: PATTO Return to archive
08-04-03 05:40 AM
L&A I've heard some great tracks from a band called PATTO (late 60's and 70'). It seems they did only 4 LP's, and that the band tragically disappeared (3/4 gone from heart case, driving crash, etc...). The only survivor owns a pub in UK.

Does someone know something about that band ? All comments & info are welcome
08-04-03 07:27 AM
RubyFriday I heard a few tracks 30 years ago,but canīt remember them well,this Jazz Rock thing wasnīt mine.The following is taken from The Tapestry Of Delights.

Personnel:
CLIVE GRIFFITHS bs A
OLLIE HALSALL gtr, keyb'ds, vcls A
JOHN HALSEY drms A
MIKE PATTO vcls A

ALBUM:
1(A) PATTO (Vertigo 6360 016) 1970 R1
2(A) HOLD YOUR FIRE (Vertigo 6360 032) 1971 R3
3(A) ROLL 'EM SMOKE 'EM, PUT ANOTHER LINE OUT (Island ILPS 9210) 1972 R1

NB: (1) reissued on CD (Repertoire REP 4446-WP) 1994. (2) reissued on CD (Repertoire REP 4360-WP) 1993. (3) reissued on CD (Edsel EDCD 510) 199?. There's also a double CD compilation, Sense Of The Absurd (Vertigo 528 696-2) 1995.

45s: Mike Patto Solo
1 Can't Stop Talking About My Baby/Love (Columbia DB 8091) 1966
2 Sitting In The Park/Get Up And Dig It (Goodear EAR 106) 1974

Mike Patto (real name Michael Patrick McGarth) first came to light as the vocalist in a Norwich R&B outfit called Mike Patto and The Breakaways. After several line-up changes The Breakaways became The Bluebottles, but soon after Patto headed for London to join The National Youth Jazz Orchestra. At the same time he had a spell with The Bo Street Runners and the Chicago Line Blues Band in 1966 before forming Timebox, which eventually evolved into Patto. These three albums were heavier in style than what he'd done to date but failed to capture a wider interest. Nonetheless, Patto (1970), was a good jazz-rock fusion featuring some fine vibraphone and guitar playing from Ollie Halsall. Hold Your Fire, which is now hard to find, was reputedly better, although their album for Island was rather disappointing. When the project disintegrated in 1973, Patto embarked on a brief solo career and also had spells in Spooky Tooth and Boxer (the latter venture re-uniting him with Ollie Halsall). His final solo 45, Sitting In The Park was a ballad done by Billy Stewart and Georgie Fame. Sadly, he died on 3 March 1979 of throat cancer.

The flip side to his first 45, Love, which was actually a Bo Street Runners' track left over from their earlier sessions, later appeared on the Pop-Sike Pipe-Dream compilation.

There's a double CD, Sense Of The Absurd, which collects their first two albums plus thirty minutes worth of bonus material (which includes four previously unissued cuts).

08-04-03 08:36 AM
L&A Thanks Ruby ! I'll try to find the double CD. Same as you, jazz-rock isn't mine, but I really enjoyed the 2 songs I've heard yesterday on radio...