ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Netherlands: Last hope to hear Lady Jane? Return to archive
08-01-03 11:01 PM
Flashpoint The European leg didn't have any surprise like the USA leg till now like She Smiled Sweetly, Parachute Woman, Heart of Stone...and when i read they rehearsed Lady Jane and She Was Hot i thought they would play them in the club shows but just Keith came up with Nearness of You
I think that if the Stones don't play something rare in the club show in Holland they won't do it on any of the next shows...and that makes me sad
08-01-03 11:09 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Flashpoint wrote:
The European leg didn't have any surprise like the USA leg till now like She Smiled Sweetly, Parachute Woman, Heart of Stone...

where/when did they play these? thanks.
08-01-03 11:42 PM
Angiegirl I know Flashpoint, but don't forget they were/are taping these clubs in Euro for DVD (although it seems only Olympia is getting on there, but maybe they need some songs from other shows to mix in there). Also the fact that they rehearse a particular song, especially at the beginning of a new tour leg, doesn't mean they're gonna play it. Maybe they tried it at rehearsal and didn't think it worked.

Only 2 clubs left, I don't expect a different setlist from the 3 previouis Euro clubs; not that they were bad.
08-01-03 11:43 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Parachute Woman - 08-Sept-02, Boston (Orpheum)
She Smiled Sweetly - 30-Sep-02, New York (Roseland)
Heart Of Stone - Palais (16-Aug-02), Orpheum (08-Sep-02), Tower (22-Sep-02), Oakland Arena (12-Nov-02)

08-02-03 12:45 AM
littleredrooster I'm not very impressed by Keith's 'Nearness Of You' although I've only heard it on a boot.

They better pull some rabbits out of the hat at Utrecht and Astoria!
Heart Of Stone was GREAT in Oakland
I feel lucky to have heard it!
It was a RARE treat!

Roostah
[Edited by littleredrooster]
08-02-03 12:57 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:
They better pull some rabbits out of the hat at Utrecht and Astoria!

Well that SURE would surprise everyone!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-02-03 07:05 AM
Honky Tonk Man I have bought it up before, but why should songs like "Heart Of Stone" be rarites. They were very popular songs back in the day. I have three of the 4 versions on boots and all sound realy good. I think we would all have to agree that Keith can't do that great solo anymore.

Alex
08-03-03 12:18 AM
littleredrooster No, they should NOT be RARE,you're completely right!

It (H of S) did sound FINE live!

What about their first hit single, Tell Me ??

[Edited by littleredrooster]
08-03-03 04:47 AM
Moonisup tell me is a great song, however I'd like to hear, All the way down
08-03-03 08:01 AM
Honky Tonk Man littleredrooster, the Stones first hit single was "I Wanna Be Your Man" First top ten hit was "Not Fade Away". It reached number 2 on the UK Charts.

But yeah, "Tell Me" is a great song and would be a joy to hear live. But lets face it, the boys don't have the balls.

Alex
08-03-03 04:25 PM
sandrew HT Man, I think the reason Keith can't do the "Heart of Stone" solo anymore is that he never did it in the first place. Was it Jimmy Page? Someone must know who it was...
08-03-03 05:26 PM
Honky Tonk Man Well sandrew, maybe i can help with this. As you may know, there are two released versions of "Heart Of Stone" The first version to be cut was the Metamorphisis version which features Jimmy Page playing lead guitar. Its not really a Stones song, just a demo with session musicians and Mick Jagger.

Anyway, Jimmy Page came up with the original guitar solo and according to the new Martin Elliot Complete Recording Sessions book, Keith COPIED Jimmy's solo almost note for note on the actual Stones version. So im guessing Jimmy Page should take credit there.

I think the reason Keith can't do the solo is because he's just a bit of a loasy guitar player now. Still gotta love the guy though!
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
08-03-03 05:53 PM
sandrew News to me, HT Man - thanks! Agree with you about Keith's chops. Arthritis, and what I call the "toast-and-coast" attitude -- i.e., getting toasted and lazily coasting -- have certainly taken a collective toll on Keith this tour, especially, it seems, in Europe.
08-04-03 11:48 PM
littleredrooster HTM,

Sorry, I knew that but was speaking of first US hit single!