ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'This coverage sucks' Return to archive
07-31-03 11:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Since we had a bad time yesterday trying to reach a real-time signal on line or on Tv or on webradio stations, this is what happened:

'This coverage sucks'
By JOHN McKAY
Canadian Press
Toronto — The Rolling Stones, live!

Well, not quite.

For weeks fans had the impression that if they didn't make it to Downsview Park on Wednesday, they could still be a part of the SARSstock experience by watching television or the Internet.

Workers walk through garbage Thursday a day after the Concert for SARS Relief in Toronto.
Photo: Kevin Frayer/CP

But a combination of confusion over press-release language and difficult last-minute negotiations between broadcasters and the concert organizers left many viewers disappointed and even furious. For much of the day, TV coverage from the site was restricted to a minute or so of each onstage performance. But even the prime-time "live" specials on CBC-TV and MuchMoreMusic proved to have very little real-time coverage.

The reaction from the public was scathing.

"There is no question the CBC led us to believe the entire Stones set would be shown live," wrote Athina on the CBC's own Web message board.

"Add my vote to the numbers of people disappointed with coverage," added RWood.

"I believe the CBC should remember that it is supposed to reflect Canadians' interests and think about how honest it has been."

"I've never seen such a rotten, despicable way of doing business in my life," wrote Robby, Jr. "Goodbye to CBC. I hope you can sleep well tonight knowing that you totally pulled a fast one over all your loyal listeners."

TomTP wrote: "Shame on you CBC for hoodwinking the public you surely need. It's shameful the way CBC suckered us into watching this telecast."

At least one viewer took aim at the record companies, vowing he wasn't going to be buying any of the CDs or DVDs of the concert "as the people in their ivory towers scratch their heads and wonder what's wrong with the music industry today."

The response was no less scathing on CHUM Television's MuchMoreMusic message board.

"This coverage sucks," was an oft-repeated refrain from people who said they stayed home from work to watch what they thought was going to be a live concert telecast.

"When I heard MMMusic would be simulcasting the concert I was thrilled," wrote a "totally disappointed" Tamguelph. "Shame on you MMM!"

To be fair to the broadcasters, none promised actual live performance coverage and in the end most of what was live did consist of on-the-scene personalities doing live reports from their media positions and from within the crowd.

CBC spokeswoman Ruth Ellen Soles said the public broadcaster did fulfil its obligations within the limits of the negotiated agreement, which permitted brief excerpts from the stage performances during the day and a limit of three live songs from any group during the prime-time telecast.

She says after airing the Stones' opening number, Start Me Up, on a delayed basis, the network did switch to live for three songs, although because the band hit the stage late, they weren't seen till well after 11 o'clock ET.

"Absolutely, the last three songs that the Rolling Stones performed were live on CBC Television," Ms. Soles says.

CBC says preliminary Neilsen numbers show that the prime-time special garnered 1.59 million viewers but actually peaked to 1.8 million after 11 p.m. when the Stones were being carried.

The CBC's on-line service, cbc.ca, meanwhile, promised "a live feed from the concert" but ran into difficulties, both legal and technical. Coverage negotiations were "hugely complex" and continued right up until 4 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, Ms. Soles says.

"The deal was one performance of each artist as close to live as possible," she says, adding that there were digital technology limitations to streaming the music in real time. The Web site had also said during the day that "programming details have yet to be resolved."

Asked why so many people assumed they would be seeing the concert live, Ms. Soles said it was not the CBC's fault.

"I think CBC behaved in a responsible way in how it promoted our coverage, and if some of that was interpreted differently in various aspects of the media, we're sorry because that was not our intention," she says. "Why would we want to mislead anybody?"

David Kines, general manager of MuchMoreMusic, was also defensive, insisting that there were never any promises to carry the music live.

"It would seem that some people just jumped to the conclusion, even though we did make our press releases and any statements very clear that we were broadcasting highlights, not THE concert."

Mr. Kines says the telecasts did include some live music, including the Stones finale.

"Rights issues prohibited us from running the entire concert," he stressed. "It's very complicated to get 13 or 14 different acts' management to sign off on what the television rights are going to be.

"I'm sorry they made that assumption but we did not ever say we were going to run the entire concert. Don't get me wrong, we'd love to!"
08-01-03 12:17 AM
Soul Survivor Yeah it did suck. Lyin sons 'o bitches. The website said Watch The Concert Live. It didnt say Highlights.

Couldnt the Stones have gotten better acts? I mean seriously. Rolling Stones, AC/DC...kick ass bill right there alone.

but why Rush? BEcause their canadian?
08-01-03 11:51 AM
jb cry me a river

1. What Stones song features: A. a WASP B. A bicycle C. Amyl Nitrate.

2. Where were they, what were they doing and to whom did Brian say, "We were just looning around and we thought we'd drop in."?

3. Who are Yellow Humprey and Scarlett Jenkins?

4. Name the following songs: (a) its only known live performance was an improvised snippet of a few bars in length (b) the only song from a band member's solo career to be performed at a Rolling Stones concert. (c) Mick usually leaves the stage when Keith does his solo set. Down the years which songs on at least one occasion have featured Keith on lead vocal with Mick still onstage singing with him.

5. Which members of the band past & present have (a) made studio recordings with Bob Dylan (b) never performed on the same stage as Bob Dylan (c) played on a Beatles record (d) never performed on the same stage as any of The Beatles.

6. What specifically is a Morgan-Morgan?

7. When Mick was introducing the "Wembley Whammer" Charlie Watts at the 1990 London shows, the theme music from which long running UK sports show was played by Matt Clifford as a "tribute"?

8. What British actress, latterly known for her role in TV commercials for washing up liquid , sings backing vocal on a Stones recording?

9. Name 4 artists who have used the entire Stones either as a duet or as their backing group on an officially released recording.

10. Name two hits for other artists that are briefly featured but uncredited on the same 1990's Rolling Stones single.

11. What was the connection to the Stones of "Mother Earth" ?

12. To which actor did the Stones send a letter asking for his permission to have his name mentioned in one of their songs in order to avoid any possible lawsuit?

13. What's the next three cities in this sequence ? New York, Los Angeles, Honolulu

14. The Stones performed a traditional Mexican song, very famous worldwide, which song and when did they play it?

15. Mick Jagger produced half the release of a great female singer who has also played and/or toured with Bill Wyman, Roger Waters, Tina Turner, Eric Burdon, Small Faces, Humble Pie and many more. (a) Who is the singer? (b) Who produced the other 50%? (c) Mention the songs produced by Mick Jagger

16. A former official member of King Crimson recorded for the Rolling Stones, mention (a) the musician, (b) the song(s) and (c) the albums in which he appears.

17. What is the significance of Act One, Scene One?

18. Identify the following tracks and the album in which they were released:
    TRACK 18.a - TRACK 18.b - TRACK 18.c - TRACK 18.d

19. For the following track mention the date, studio, and the musicians involved in the recording. TRACK 19

20. Identify the song and mention the sessions in which the following track was recorded TRACK 20

21. When and how this song was released? What is the song? TRACK 21

22. For the following photos mention what is Mick doing; be specific and brief.

23. Mention the event, date and venue for this photograph.

24. Where this photo comes from?

25. Where, when and what are they doing in this scene?

BONUS QUESTIONS

1. Name the band who opened for the Rolling Stones and performed only Beatles covers.

2. Which songs recorded by the Rolling Stone songs have also been covered by the grateful dead?

3. This is a very special photo as it was taken during the making of “something”. Who they are and what they were doing during those photo sessions.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]