ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sam Phillips dead Return to archive
07-31-03 07:40 PM
Gazza dont think anyones posted it yet, but much sadder news than any dodgy guest appearances at benefit concerts was today's news of the death at the age of 80 of Sam Phillips - legendary producer (unmatched IMHO) , founder of SUN records (the greatest record label of them all) and the man who discovered Elvis.

Someone who REALLY changed the face of music history and a true genius of rock 'n' roll.
07-31-03 07:55 PM
FPM C10 Yes, that is truly sobering news. Sam never looked anywhere near his age - as time went on he seemed to look younger - and I had no idea what his true age was. This is a shitty way to find out.

Sam's actual contribution to music was all crammed into a few years, but its reverberations continue to this day. White guys doing black music - what a concept!

Haven't been to Sun, but the equipment he used there is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. And like almost everything else they have, when I saw it, I said "WHY in the fuck is this HERE?" It should be in Memphis.

RIP Sam. Another giant who will never be replaced.