ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: They did it goddamn it...... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
07-31-03 07:54 AM
Soul Survivor
quote:
Diedre wrote:
Calm down. We are talking about the song "Miss You." That song deserves Justin Timberlake. It sucks, he sucks. It's one of the most embarrassing things Mick ever did, and now he's just added another garnish. That's all.

I think not
07-31-03 08:46 AM
telecaster The Stones "Jumped The Shark" last night and it is really sad. It is beyond sad. I was tramping around the house last night pissed off, almost sick and my girlfriend kept asking me what was wrong and I was too embarrassed to tell her. The words could not come out of my mouth

Then I turn on CNN and they have a live feed and of course all you could hear were the horns and that fucking piano player. Not a guitar to be heard

The Stones playing with David Cassidy in '72 is the best analogy.

Poor Stu wherever he is

The Rolling Stones RIP 1962-2003

Sadly they had an open casket funeral for all the world to see. Thank God that webcast crapped out to keep the embarrasment level down

07-31-03 08:55 AM
Boomy I don't have a problem with Justin on stage with them. The thing I have a problem with is that it seems like Mick almost took back the statement he made about Timberlake. Not verbally, but mentally.

I mean, he called Timberlake a fake and said that he stole dance moves. He even said Robbie Williams is much better.

All of the sudden Timberlake seems cool to Mick? It doesn't make sense.
[Edited by Boomy]
07-31-03 08:57 AM
egon it's good that the played with justin.

yes GOOD. EXCELLENT even.

now all the little boys & girls that dig(*) the justins
christina's & britney's finally were forced to see
a REAL band at work.

surely they've now spotted the difference.... right?

yes i am right; THIS IS A GOOD THING.

but if not, well then i'm with SS!

i need a drink.

(*) = is that how the youngsters say it these days?
07-31-03 08:57 AM
stonedinaustralia tele

i see you and i are coming from oposite ends of the spectrum on this one - tho those opposites do attract - or like colours meet at the point where it all turns black

don't let it get you down

just put on "brussels affair" and get down in the here and now

07-31-03 09:00 AM
Boomy Egon, that is not what those little girls will do. They probably think that THE STONES joined Timberlake, even though it's on a Stones song.

I mean, the song is a disco type song. I'm sure a lot of 13 year old girls think it's some sort of new track by Justin for a future album.

I've talked to middle schoolers and these kids don't know who Keith is. Everyone knows Keith Richards, dag gommit!!
07-31-03 09:15 AM
telecaster
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
tele

i see you and i are coming from oposite ends of the spectrum on this one - tho those opposites do attract - or like colours meet at the point where it all turns black

don't let it get you down

just put on "brussels affair" and get down in the here and now

I hear ya SIA but this cuts deep. This is like finding out your spouse has been cheating on you for the last 15yrs
or that your trusted employee has been stealing from you or that your best friend has been schtupping your wife

I really don't think I can recover

It is catastrophic
07-31-03 09:36 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I hear ya SIA but this cuts deep. This is like finding out your spouse has been cheating on you for the last 15yrs
or that your trusted employee has been stealing from you or that your best friend has been schtupping your wife

I really don't think I can recover

It is catastrophic

forget your wife didn't you just mention your girlfriend??? - but you were too embaressed to say anything

by the tone of that post take my advice tele - watch out!!- if you can't be totally open and honest with her about the way the stones impact on your life then she's not the girl for you - no matter how much pie you get to eat - take it from me - i've been there and it will only end in tears
07-31-03 09:48 AM
corgi37 Getting a bit precious are'nt we all? Its a benefit thing, only 1 song, only Miss You, who gives a rats ass? One good thing is that i expect alot less people on this site, clogging up the space and still whingeing about this in a years time. I assume you will all depart and not come back. Most of you say this is it, they've dropped their bundle, lost the plot. Jumped the shark as some one said. Hopefully they dont tour near any of you again, because i assume you wont be going, just in case justin pops up again. You can also save money by not buying the upcoming dvd. Fine. We wont "miss you" (geddit??), and i'm sure as hell the stones wont either. i wonder if similar sentiments were echoed 40 years ago by chuck berry and muddy waters fans?
07-31-03 09:52 AM
Soul Survivor Alright....

I've been thinking, here's what I thought while taking a shit this morning

The Stones are Stones. There IS some plot behind this whole Justin thing. And for those of you that are no longer fans (youve got to be kidding me) because J Timberlake appeared on stage....it makes me wonder....how much of a fan were you in the first place. No matter what.....we know Keiths heart lives for blues and rock and roll. The Stones still hold the title for the greatest rock band of all time. Justin was just invited on stage....thats it. Hell, if Britney Spears had been there instead of Justin SHE probably would have been invited as well...and in that case Mick could have gotten some poon
[Edited by Soul Survivor]
07-31-03 10:23 AM
Riffhard Hey corgi,

There is a HUGE diffence between Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley. Their fans may have indeed had some negative attitudes towards the Stones. Though I highly doubt it. Many of Chuck's,Bo's,and Little Richard's fans were white kids from the late '50's and early '60's. These kids had to literally hide the "Race Records" in their sock drawers. The Rolling Stones in their infancy brought these acts to the fore. Why do you think that so many of these acts have since played with the Stones or become great friends with them?

Justin Timberfuck is the EXACT opposite. He,and his ilk,have absolutly no loyalty to the past. They have never done anything musicaly to advance any genere of music period! They are ,in fact,prefabricated popstars,albeit they can sing,that have the right "LOOK". That's it end of story.

Take a look at n'sync. There's one guy that's the cute one. There's one guy with the tough guy look. There's a guy with the cool hispanic look,and ofcourse there's the lovable jock! Same story for the Backstreet Boys. They are all fake. Yet they are the future of the music industry as it stands today.

For those that would argue that the Beatles and the Stones were also created by their handelers and managment. I strongly dissagree with that. There can be no doubt that both bands,and many others from the era,were creating an image that would sell. The difference is that these bands all previously knew each other from the underground music scene in London,Liverpool,New York,San Francisco,etc. They had all worked with each other and all dug the same music with a real passion for the music.

Several members of n'sync the Back Street Boys,along with Brittney and Christina,worked with each other all right! They all shared the stage on the fucking Micky Mouse Club! I mean come on!

I say again...THE ROLLING STONES MYSTIQUE WAS,LAST NIGHT,NAILED TO THE POP ALTER CROSS!!!!

Will I get over it? Sure probably. It was,as some have mentioned,just a one off affair for charity. However,that does not change the fact that this stupid fucking move by Mick just cost the band alot of legitamcy amoungst many fans.

I simply think it was the worst discission that the band has ever made since the hiring of the Hells Angels at Altamont.

Riffhard
07-31-03 10:40 AM
Nellcote Just chalk this up to the good feeling which surrounded the whole concert. This is not a big deal. So, when they include this duet on the 4 disc dvd, y'all gonna boycott it's purchase? Or when this is picked up by some network, shown here in the states, y'all not going to watch it, tape it, tree the f%$%^&#? Come to your senses, It's The Stones, that's why you got hooked on 'em in the first place. They tried some variety, it was obviously Jagger's choice (can you say "State of Shock?") So that this is some item which the Stones have not done before, get real. They will probably will do it again.
[Edited by Nellcote]
07-31-03 10:41 AM
telecaster Good post Riff. Actually I think a better analogy would be if The Stones invited The Monkees on stage in '68

Pre fab band made by the casting department

People posting forget that Bo Diddly/Berry/Cochran, etc were musicians, played an instrument and wrote songs and created a form of music

Wait till jb starts posting

07-31-03 11:38 AM
Jumping Jack I fear for JB's life. This event may have been the last straw.
07-31-03 01:09 PM
souldoggie To all of the: Justin haters, Chuck Leavell haters, set list haters, guitar mix haters, Keith's ballads haters, war horse haters, Mick's solo stuff haters, ticket price haters, the Stones "ruined legacy" haters, Dave Matthews haters, horn section haters, background singer haters, Blondie Chapman haters, and "the Stones can't sell tickets anymore" haters.......

You are all too beautiful for this world, so........

Buh BYE!!!!!!!!!
07-31-03 01:41 PM
macawber yes,we have no right to complain-we should pay $350 a ticket
to listen to the same songs each tour with less and less guitar in them each time out.
we should shut up even if the stones play onstage with the backstreet boys,n'sync or britney spears.
we should be happy with whatever piece of shit filled with rap samples and recycled riffs comes out and is called a new stones record.
i mean who the fuck cares,we're just fans.you can spin it anyway you want but this party is close to being over.
good luck with those $500 tickets to see an all keyboard and horn version of brown sugar.vanilla ice once did a cover of satisfaction,maybe he'll show up for a duet.
07-31-03 01:54 PM
parmeda
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Wait till jb starts posting

I think jb's having a seizure right now...
It'll be hours from now, lol!
07-31-03 02:26 PM
Nasty Habits Uh? Guys? It's been "over" for years. The rebel thing, anyway. The musicians who play in the Rolling Stones are simply that: Highly, highly paid musicians representing a legacy - living legends, but only symbols of the thing itself. The Greatest Show On Earth, but Just Entertainment. No one goes to a Rolling Stones show anymore to defy anything.

This is reality. Hoping for better setlists, hoping that the Stones will make that one more great album, hoping that Keith and Ronnie will "wake up" and start dominating the band's sound again, hoping for a show of anything more than formal chops and profiteering - that is denial.

I just can't believe it took you guys until the appearance of NSYNC to see it.

But here's the great thing -- anytime something from 1964-1985 is played on your stereo the past is present. You need not have these living symbols in front of you to experience their true rebel, not caring, fly in the face of everything sacred but give me what I want attitudes.

Accept the McDonald's Stones for what they are and make the separation 'tween Real Stones and Showbiz Stones where you need to -- After the '82 Tour, after Dirty Work, at Wyman's departure, at Timberlake's appearance, at Brian Jones' death, when Taylor left the band. . . It doesn't mean it's not fun, but it doesn't really "mean" anything.

But always remember: "Just because you're hypnotized doesn't mean that you can't dance." -- Tonio K.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
07-31-03 07:04 PM
Gazza Its no fucking big deal. The event and the cause was the issue here, not the Stones or who their guests were. this was not a Rolling stones tour show that we paid a weeks wages for. it was a benefit concert broadcast on TV and most of the people complaining about it weren't even there.

The reason why half a million people turned up was because it was a cheap ticket, it was a good cause and because there was a variety of acts on the bill to suit most people from the ages of six to sixty. Thats the whole point of the exercise.

Justin Trousersnake playing with the Stones kept a few more kids interested in the event to stick with it to the end. As most people under the age of 20 arent exposed to the Stones music - mostly because of the bands fault as their ticket prices are beyond the means of most young people - then its not a bad thing. Whats that Keiths always saying - the greatest thing you can put on a musicians tombstone is that he passed it on. I dont give a shit if Justin wasnt a Stones fan before. you can bet he is now. and Id say probably quite a few other young people are too after the exposure that broadcast would have got. I've just seen him on TV talking about the experience and he seemed very genuine and humble about how what an honour it was to be on the same stage as The Rolling Stones. No matter who theyd have brought on, you can bet someone would have complained about the fact that he/she didnt "deserve to be on the same stage as them". Enough people whined about the rumour that Bono would join them for fucks sake. Its inverted snobbery. If the guest is white and under 50, then he/she isnt credible enough for some people. Its especially magnified if the same artist is someone who hapens to sell more records than the Stones do. Its a ludicrous attitude. Buddy Guy for example might have kept a few purists happy but most people watching couldnt have given a fuck.

and all this shit about it being the last straw and the Stones selling out is ridiculous. You're a bit late in realising that, folks. This is a band who have been whoring themselves and their legacy to the corporate marketplace for years to the detriment of the people who actually buy and care about their music. The only thing the Stones are loyal to are Cohl and those greedy bastards at Clear Channel. The only thing rebellious about the Stones is that theyve defied all the phoney rules about rock n roll by still playing it when anyone else would have settled for retirement - something they should be applauded for.

To hear people complain because theyve played with Trousersnake when theyve shared a stage with Muddy waters etc in the past is a bit ironic when you remember theyve been charging up to a grand a ticket on this tour (not to mention keeping the first few rows free for those rich enough to pay the $2500 "fan club packages") so you can have the privilege of watching them PLAY the same songs theyve played with those old blues legends you're referring to.

if Muddy Waters is going to turn in his grave, he'd spin more on THAT thought than at them playing "Miss you" at a benefit with some pretty boy white kid whose main claim to fame is that he popped Britney Spears' cherry.
[Edited by Gazza]
07-31-03 07:09 PM
Soul Survivor July 30, 2003
Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto / July 30, 2003 / Toronto (Downsview Park)

Billboard Reviews Stones' Headlining Show in Toronto

When the Molson Canadian Rocks For Toronto concert was announced a mere five weeks ago, the general consensus was that it was a great idea to help the city battle the stigma from SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome).

But as the show drew closer, the presence of the largest recorded paying audience for a one-day show (450,000 people) and the possible logistical nightmares tended to overshadow the expected resulting boost to the economy. Thankfully, the crowd kept things peaceful, and the performers were equal to the task.

Headliners the Rolling Stones took the stage 10 hours after the show began, and 14 hours after the gates opened. Beginning with "Start Me Up," lead singer Mick Jagger and company immediately had the ocean of bodies moving. The band continued with a series of crowd pleasers, including "Brown Sugar" and "You Got Me Rocking." "You're here, we here and Toronto is back -- it's booming," Jagger said early on.

There were also a few surprises in the set list, including "Ruby Tuesday," as well as "The Nearness of You" with guitarist Keith Richards on lead vocals. The group tended to extend a few songs a bit longer than normal, but given the fact the Stones rescheduled European shows for this concert, it was difficult to find fault with some loose conclusions.

The Stones tapped into the collaborative spirit of the event, bringing out AC/DC guitarists Malcolm and Angus Young for a cover of B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby" and inviting Justin Timberlake to chime in on "Miss You." The latter proved to be a bad move, as fans began throwing plastic water bottles on stage when Timberlake appeared. The 'N Sync star didn't help matters by throwing in a verse from his own song, "Cry Me a River."

..............he did a line of his own song in Miss You?!?!

08-01-03 12:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot I have to poop.

And this Justin thing never happened. It's all computer generated fakery.
08-01-03 01:08 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I have to poop.

Hey, have a happy birthday poop!

The Justin thing ...every few years - hell, every year lately - Mick arranges to share the stage with whoever is hot at the moment, be it Axl Rose or Dave Matthews or Bono or Justin, and buries them, just to let everyone know how it's REALLY done. This one certainly WAS ridiculous, and clearly the work of the Mick who wrote "Goddess in the Doorway' rather than the one who wrote "Stray Cat Blues", but hey, he's a nice buncha guys. He's always very supportive and obliging to the guest star, but it's a cutting match, and the guest always gets cut.

A much different etiquette is observed when the guest star is Bo Diddley or John Lee Hooker or Solomon Burke. And Mick usually looks a little unsure of what to do when he's not going for blood. I haven't seen the video but I'm guessing Mick wiped the floor with Justin.

I'm sticking with my psychic vampire theory. Mick was sucking the youth and vitality out of his latest little victim.

I think Keith laying "The Nearness of You" on 450,000 people more than made up for it. It's all the same band. Doesn't change anything for me.

I just think it's REALLY HILARIOUS that Justin probably paid $5000 to dress like someone you'd see at the Juniata County Fair.
08-01-03 01:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, he'd fit right in the ol' funnel cake line wouldn't he?

I bet HE could afford a $50.00 manicure.
08-01-03 01:53 AM
corgi37 Yes!!! FPM C10, Mein Gott, i think you've got it! Mick as a psychic vampire. I love it. Draining the juices of his victims. I'm sure he drained Sheryl Crow too (or was that Keith). Either way, I tell you this, I'd drain the juices out of Sheryl Crow any time. I still cant believe people are freaked by Timbers getting up with the band. I think its hilarious. Not as funny as peoples wigged out reaction, but a perfect example of Jaggers thinking. Sure got people talking, eh? Anyway, here in Oz, the show got virtually zero coverage. The one report i saw on t.v didnt even mention the Stones, but referred to the show as Ac/dc's comeback.
08-01-03 02:24 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! You guys are making way to big a deal about this. Who really fucking cares, it was just one song in a benefit show, no more , no less. Mick was probably coaxed into this by his daughters who happen to really like this kid. Anyway, if a few young'ins in the audience some how get turned onto The Stones, that's a good thing. It just proves to many in the crowd that a 60-year-old rock icon can still kick the shit out of a young little whippersnapper any day of the week! Besides, I'm sure that Timberlake learned one thing from this experience, and that is as much money he makes and albums he sales, he will never be in the same class as The Rolling Fucking Stones!
08-01-03 07:23 AM
Maxlugar Doesn't Justin get any points for nailing Brittney Spears?

He does in my book.

The fact that Keith and Mick have daughters that probably adore the douche makes this a lot more understandable.

Still sickening.

I wonder if Nanky blew his brains out during that one.

I better send him an email.

Developing........

08-01-03 11:48 AM
gypsy Justin's doing Cameron Diaz.
08-01-03 12:27 PM
Joey " Justin's doing Cameron Diaz. "

Now THAT rates a highwater mark on Joey's scale .

I am now seriously thinking of attending an NSYNC gig .

Shiver ..............................

Developing ........................

Kins .
08-01-03 10:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh hell, Cameron Diaz ain't shit.

I did her, and she was as fun to fuck as a dead fish.
08-01-03 11:54 PM
gypsy Does Mrs. SS know you're drunk?
Page: 1 2 3