ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Downsview Park, Toronto - July 30 - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
07-31-03 05:10 AM
steel driving hammer Did they hand those out free?

I'd like to get around 20, maybe 40!

The Stones are prolly just landing in Europe right now.

God Bless em.
07-31-03 05:22 AM
Talya Peachfeather Two comments
(1) Justin Timberlake's not one of my favourites, but he has a good voice.
(2) I'd never have even considered putting dark pink with pale green - it's fabulous - I wonder who's given the band all these different colour ideas: could it be Mick's new girlfriend?
07-31-03 05:42 AM
steel driving hammer I never considered putting dark pink with pale green too actually LOL!!

Hope the heatwave has lessoned over there.

I don't know why I woke up but I'm taking the day off from work today.

Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord.

Old timers to see old timers!

07-31-03 06:27 AM
montana more pix

[Edited by montana]
07-31-03 06:43 AM
montana even more

and check out this link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sarsbenefit/photolog.html
07-31-03 06:47 AM
Stonesdoug Symptahy was played after Happy.. Also Dan Ackroyd introduced the band at the start of their set. Mick did the regular intros. Sorry for the misinformation---cell phone probs!!!!
07-31-03 07:23 AM
Factory Girl I love the SARS Stones Masks.

Also, thank you for no photos of Justhorrible T. I would've tossed my cookies, for it was a rough night.:EEK:

Thanks everyone who submitted setlists and the photos!
07-31-03 07:57 AM
bootcover

07-31-03 08:23 AM
Soul Survivor
07-31-03 08:50 AM
Factory Girl Soulie, I need a bucket....NOW.
07-31-03 09:15 AM
Soul Survivor FG, Hold it in, wouldnt want to ruin the keyboard would you?
07-31-03 09:16 AM
Soul Survivor http://popdirt.com/article16940.html

What up??
07-31-03 09:18 AM
Jumacfly such a sucker face!!!
07-31-03 10:33 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
WHAT? Did Jeff leave before they finished? Can't believe it, really can't

Neither can I. Goes to show you waht kind of day it was. It was hot. In between bands, Danny kept saying that people should drink a bottle of water every hour to remain hydrated. I'm sure I don't have to explain that on a day like this, the longer you go the more drained and fatigue you become, hence, draining your enjoyment, too. I parked my arse in front of a speaker tower for the day when I arrived at 1:30. Sound was most important to me. The most common thing was picking a speaker tower or big screen to get the best of one world. From where I was, I could see the screens by the stage, so I went with sound. There was almost an hour wait before the Stones came on. Many people started to leave. The average wait between bands was about 20-30 mins.

After Miss You with Justin, I just couldn't believe it. Literally distroyed the song. The remaining set I missed was fairly predictable what was coming in terms of standards. Rock Me Baby (w/ Angus and Malcolm) was pretty much a sure thing. My only real regret was taking a chance on missing The Nearness Of You - and I lost. I was 3 hours from where I was, to my front door, including a 1.5 hr walk to the car. I got in at 1:30...and I need to go to work in a 2 hrs. Being tired and sore was worth the day, however.

Nevertheless, many thanks to Pam for being the mediator last night! Many apologizes to leave you hanging after sticking in with me. It was fun, though.

Good crowd pictures were hard to take as the land is flat. Holding your camera in the air and hoping for a good shot is all you could do. I did, however, manage to get my camera to a worker standing on a tower of bottled water to take some shots of the crowd. This was common throughout the park! They would stand on skids of bottled water, trucks, anything elevated to get good shots.

The 2 biggest surprises of the day - more than enough water for sale, and I mean skids and skids were not even opened. Secondly, were the toilets. I used 3 separate locations and everytime amounted to a less than 3 minute wait! Thank God!

I was also looking forward to The Guess Who, Rush and AC/DC. AC ran away with top honours.

Stones were Stones. Firsts for me was Ruby Tuesday (never seen it before!) and this was my first outdoor Stones' show.

For now...

Sleepy Jeff

07-31-03 10:35 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, Lazy. "Better get some sleep tonight..."
07-31-03 01:20 PM
Gimme Shelter http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/news/images/t/Timberlake_Justin/sq-mick-justin-toronto-wi.jpg
07-31-03 01:37 PM
Soul Survivor NOOOOOOOO
07-31-03 01:46 PM
Factory Girl why is the pic so little?
07-31-03 02:03 PM
parmeda
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Nevertheless, many thanks to Pam for being the mediator last night! Many apologizes to leave you hanging after sticking in with me. It was fun, though.

You're very welcome!
...and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! It WAS fun

I still hate you though...lol
07-31-03 02:54 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
parmeda wrote:
I still hate you though...lol

"Poker face was her name,
Poker face was her nature..."

07-31-03 02:57 PM
parmeda ...you're killin' me

Hey...was that the first time for you to see them?
07-31-03 03:25 PM
Monkey Woman The pic, bigger

07-31-03 03:28 PM
Monkey Woman OK, you've been good, you deserve a better pic

(BTW, hey, Mick, I need that T-shirt! Why not put some for sale at RS.com?)
07-31-03 03:45 PM
montana awesome monkeywoman!!! 5 golden stars
07-31-03 04:33 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Hey...was that the first time for you to see them?

2nd. I saw them (Mar'96) 7 years ago in Toronto. Guess that would've been the Ballbreaker tour.
07-31-03 04:56 PM
Monkey Woman You do me too much honour, Lour!

Well, I've seen a few seconds of the 'fateful duet' on one of your links.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Sto...2/Video-5-2.asx

And I must say it's pretty embarrassing -- but for Justin, not the Stones!!! He sings so bad it's funny
I guess this was a ploy of Mick and Keith to undermine him in his teenage fans's eyes by putting him near *real* musicians for once!

So we needn't worry for our boys. JT, though, should begin to take some lessons, lol!
07-31-03 06:42 PM
Soul Survivor Whats the deal with Rush. They had fucking washing machines on stage? Are they doing laundry on stage?
07-31-03 08:30 PM
Lazy Bones Yes.
08-01-03 07:13 AM
Maxlugar Did the Stones guitars show up to kick AC/DC's ass?

Or was it an embarrassment again?

Anyone?
08-01-03 08:40 AM
John Wood I can tell you were I was the sound for every band was amazing until the Stones came on! I can say that was the worst sound I have ever heard at a concert. Up to Ruby Tuesday Keith and Ronnie's guitars could not be heard and if you could make out very faint noises they sounded terrible. Like they were playing miles away under water, while the drums vocals and piano were loud and clear. It was so bad that people around me were laughing and making jokes about how bad the band was as they were leaving and this started happening two or three songs in. Even my buddy was nervously laughing and kept repeating "oh man". The band (guitars) started sounding better as it went on but I was hearing far too much pointless noodling and bum notes for my taste. Keith played Nearness Of You that sort of signaled for thousands of people who were not already leaving to pack up an go. On Thursday I had too many people at work and a couple of phone calls at home asking what the hell is wrong with Keith and Ronnie. A few of them telling me the Stones have completly lost it and probably lost quite a few fan at the show. I hate sounding so negative but from where I was the Stones part of the show was not really very good. I got a million things going on in my mind about the Stones at Downview and don't really know what else to say right now. Again I hate sounding negative but of all the Stones shows I have seen this has left me - wondering, disappointed, confused, and sort of speachless. I just really hope the band sounded better at different areas. I just cannot explain how amazing (where I was standing)the sound was for all the other band and so TERRIBLE for the Stones..????? How is that possible??
Page: 1 2 3 4