ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Gimme Shelter the greatest rock song of all time? Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-01-03 01:20 AM
midnightmagic Yes, it is, and you need to hear them play it on 10-17-73. This is the best version of the best song.
08-01-03 06:44 PM
Gazza >Sorry,but "I fought the law" is from Sonny Curtis (Crickets)Bobby Fuller recorded it 6 years later.

Ruby..I wasn't doubting who originally recorded it. That wasnt the question. I'm talking about what was the greatest rock n roll song of all time. Fuller's version to me is the definitive version and in my opinion the greatest slice of rock'n'roll ever. Two minutes of understated perfection.
08-02-03 02:08 AM
RubyFriday Hi Gary....I agree,Bobby Fullerīs is the better version and a great song,but for my taste ,the best Rock song of all time cannot be a cover version,I would have voted for Jimis Watchtower or Hey Joe then........
08-02-03 06:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man The greatest Rock'n'Roll song of all time is Elvis's version of Hound Dog.

Im pretty sure it inspired a generation. The Scotty Moore guitar solo is the best solo of the 1950's.

In my opinion

Alex
08-02-03 03:07 PM
Mother baby Wow...close.man I dodged that bullet. Maybe 20 years from now it'll be whatever Justin Timberlake did at the Toronto Stones concert in 2003. Just to prick a few pompous asshole balloons .......
08-02-03 03:29 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
VaporTrails wrote:
In a word, NO.

Happy 50th Geddy!!

Mmmmm, I don't have nothing against Rush but...... mmmmmm, wait wait wait, don't you think that Rush is more important and relevant than The Rolling Fuckin' Stones, do you?!?!
08-02-03 03:33 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The greatest Rock'n'Roll song of all time is Elvis's version of Hound Dog.

Im pretty sure it inspired a generation. The Scotty Moore guitar solo is the best solo of the 1950's.

In my opinion

Alex

Alex, I love that Hound Dog..... what about Heartbreak Hotel and that simple but great solo of Scotty Moore? Great solo in Lawdy Miss Clawdy too.
Man, I think Scotty Moore was ahead of his time/era. That guy was a giant.
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-02-03 04:16 PM
tumblingdice I must say no, at least not my favorite, but I totally understand how you feel. In fact that is how I feel about the Stones work as a whole. Always felt their music connected with my soul and spirit in a way no other music ever die. I personally never cared for Shelter until seing it live myself, although I thought the version they did on The MTV Stripped special in 1995 was great.
08-03-03 08:18 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yes J.J FLASH, "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" is another favourite of mine. The 1954 - 1960 period is the best. After Elvis Is Back, hr went down hill big time. It was the songs he was given. He got better in the late 1960's with the NBC TV Special, but he never retained the swagger, arogance and coolness of the early Elvis. He just got fat.

Sorry, im rambling!

Alex
08-03-03 08:40 AM
J.J.Flash Yep, I can't stand that Elvis in "Aloha From Hawaii". His voice was brilliant but I can't see any happiness on his face.......
But in the "The NBC Comeback Special", man those guys really rocked.
You are right Alex, talking about the best Elvis' period.

"We're goin' up, we're goin' down
We're goin' up, down down up
Any way you wanna let it roll
Yeah, yeah, yeah
You got me doin' what you want me
Oh baby what you want me to do"
08-03-03 08:43 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Yes J.J FLASH, "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" is another favourite of mine. The 1954 - 1960 period is the best. After Elvis Is Back, hr went down hill big time. It was the songs he was given. He got better in the late 1960's with the NBC TV Special, but he never retained the swagger, arogance and coolness of the early Elvis. He just got fat.

Sorry, im rambling!

Alex

when was the "comeback" special from Hawaii? He was in black leather... I remember that as the last time I was really impressed with what he was doing...

say what you want about the stones and the backstreet boy in toronto,at least they have never gone down the road paved with Vega$ kitzch(sp) that Elvis travelled in his later years.
08-03-03 08:57 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
when was the "comeback" special from Hawaii? He was in black leather... I remember that as the last time I was really impressed with what he was doing...

Exactly what I said Mac. Elvis in the NBC Comeback Special, he was wearing that black leather jacket and trousers......One of the best moments of Elvis, but after, well after that.....
Page: 1 2