ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Kitchener, Ontario - August 8th 2003
By Toronto Tom with thanks to Lazy Bones

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Gimme Shelter the greatest rock song of all time? Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-29-03 04:04 AM
Im so cold Hi mates, I'm new here and I guess you could consider me a young stones fan, I'm in high school, however the music of the stones has realistically made my life significantly better. Not a day goes by where I do not listen to them, thus I no longer have bad days, all my days are good now, there are just some that are better than others.

Anyway, I know it's probably considered rare to see such a major declaration like the one I'm making( I actually feel a bit young and silly making this declaration), and this topic is probably more suited for a main stream type of board. In fact I bet this topic has been discussed many a time and I'm probably just beating a dead horse right now. But never has anything I've ever experienced brought the type of emotion that I felt while listening to it the other day.

It was a euphoric feeling. It felt as though it was something only I was allowed to hear, a gift from the gods that was simply on another level compared to anything else. At the point of the song where Jagger is finished with his first harp solo and the first few notes of Richards solo kick in, the emotion I felt was so astonishing that I simply wanted to wanted to scream as loud as I could because I felt that something so ridiculously good warranted some type of reaction.

Does anyone else feel the same way about this song? When I hear it I think to myself "I've never heard anything more perfect in my entire life". The song has absolutely no flaws in my opinion. It is so good that I've come to the conclusion that in order to make something so beautiful, there must be something in either Mick or Keith or whoever, that is non-human. Something god-like.

So I'd just like to hear some opinions on the song, just to make sure I'm not a complete nut and that some people feel very similiarly about the song.

Happy birthday Mick.
07-29-03 05:24 AM
Moonisup no
07-29-03 05:35 AM
stonedinaustralia no

but i can empathize with your response to it

tho i'd draw the line at the "god-like" stuff

anyway, welcome aboard

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-29-03 05:58 AM
VaporTrails In a word, NO.

Happy 50th Geddy!!
07-29-03 06:24 AM
egon the opening gives me goose bumps...

and makes me wanna run naked through the forrest.

other than that nothing special.
07-29-03 08:33 AM
Cant Catch Me The noted rock critic Greil Marcus at one point called "Gimme Shelter" the greatest rock n' roll record ever made, and I'd have to say that you and he are as close to being "right" as anybody needs to be. I mean it's one of the tip-top best rock songs ever and if you don't agree that it's "the" best it's just because of a slight difference in personal preference.
07-29-03 08:45 AM
Jumping Jack Some surveys rate Satisfaction as the best.
07-29-03 10:15 AM
purrcafe It's pretty damn close. In my opinion other candidates might be Street Hassle by Lou Reed, Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys, or Bonzo Goes to Bitburg by the Ramones. Funny, Gimmie Shelter was the song that turned me on to the Stones when I was in high school
07-29-03 10:21 AM
mac_daddy "Is Gimme Shelter the greatest rock song of all time?"

it certainlyis one of them...

I feel that the other bookend of "Let it Bleed" (You Can't Always Get What You Want) is the finest rock 'n roll song ever written...

If you are starting to get into the Stones, go buy that disc - it is the one that started me off some 25+ years ago!
07-29-03 10:26 AM
jb While I concur with your sentiments regarding GS, I am concerned about you....are the school pychologists/councelors that you can talk to?
07-29-03 10:26 AM
Joey Gimme Shelter is the greatest " War Song " ever written !

07-29-03 10:29 AM
jb Joey, I am watching my remastered Ladies and Gentleman DVD on my lap top and the rendition of "Dead Flowers" is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!JJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYYYY
07-29-03 10:45 AM
Joey " Joey, I am watching my remastered Ladies and Gentleman DVD on my lap top and the rendition of "Dead Flowers" is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! "

I am watching a documentary on LBJ whilst working on a spreadsheet .

What ?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh , sure , HERE ya go :

www.RobertCaro.com

Jacky Boy !
07-29-03 02:36 PM
beer Hey JB, i really like Dead flowers in that video too. Have you seen the Marquee '71 video? I think Taylors Dead Flowers solo is even better in that vid.
07-29-03 02:38 PM
jb Yes Beer!!! The quality of my Marquee VHS starts off good , but the sound drifts in and out as it goes on....MT solo , as usual, is outstanding...also the way MJ and KR share the microphone brings back memories of when they really were a tight band and not simply going through the motions....
07-29-03 02:48 PM
beer My Marquee video starts out with Chris Jagger sitting in a bar talking about the gig. Then it has the show including the 2 fuck ups on I Got The Blues, plus rehearsels. Is everybodies Marquee vid like that?

oh yeah, Mick and Keith briefly shared the same mic during Honky Tonk Women when I saw them last November.
07-29-03 02:56 PM
Factory Girl jb, things you do at work make me wish I went to law school.

07-29-03 02:58 PM
Moonisup the greatest song??

factory girl! hahah
07-29-03 03:08 PM
jb No Beer..my copy starts out with some cartoon character and some funky 60's music...I have the cd with the 2 takes of IGTB, and it is terrible quality.
[Edited by jb]
07-29-03 03:22 PM
Boomy No, the greatest rock song of all time is is Eddie Money's "Gimme Some Water".
07-29-03 03:27 PM
Moonisup no

the greatest is:

ANY song of ABBA
07-29-03 03:29 PM
Boomy Knowing me, knowing you, it's the best I can dooooooooooooooo
07-29-03 04:53 PM
Gazza No,but GS is probably the greatest STONES song of all time, so that in itself is pretty close

but "I Fought The Law" by The Bobby Fuller Four is the greatest rock 'n' roll song of all time.
07-29-03 05:20 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
but "I Fought The Law" by The Bobby Fuller Four is the greatest rock 'n' roll song of all time.

Nice guitar riff on that.
07-29-03 05:25 PM
RubyFriday Sorry,but "I fought the law" is from Sonny Curtis (Crickets)Bobby Fuller recorded it 6 years later.The greatest rock song is from Jimi of course,canīt decide which one yet.
[Edited by RubyFriday]
07-29-03 09:25 PM
stonedinaustralia Once upon a time, before I became a bona fide stones "nut" I would have nominated "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes

other contenders would be imho

"all along the watchtower" or "Voodoo chile (slight return)" by Jimi

"Tumbling Dice" is my favourite stones tune - both studio and brussels affair
07-29-03 09:32 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy It's pretty fucking close.

Welcome, by the way. I'm in high school as well, and I get the same exact feeling when I hear that song - it's one of those songs that really just makes you wanna get up and break stuff or something. There are very few songs in the world capable of such awesome-ness.

Makes you wonder why modern music sucks so fucking hard.

"Get that fucking Kelly Jones outta my Substitute, Ronnie!"

As for best rock tune... for the Stones it's "Rocks Off" for me, followed by "Shelter", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "All Down The Line" and "She Said Yeah" in no particular order.

As for best rock song of all time... whoo, I don't know. I'll have to go with what I've heard today and say the version of "Like A Rolling Stone" at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1966. If that's what happens when Bob Dylan loses his temper, he should lose it every day. Before The Flood is such a far cry away and only eight years later, it's scary.

Although it might be "Stay With Me". Which is fucking fantastic. Ronnie did an insanely good version solo with Bernard on lead vox in 1992 (on my seventh birthday, I might add), with the Faces version remaining the holy bible. Any further Rod Stewart attempts are to be laughed at mercilessly.

Or it might be... aww, hell, I dunno. Maybe it is "Gimme Shelter".

-tSYX --- War, children...
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
07-29-03 10:10 PM
Gimme Shelter First off, welcome aboard and second I agree totally. Gimme Shelter is the greatest song (period)of all time.
07-29-03 10:29 PM
Soul Survivor I wouldnt say its Gimme Shelter

I dont think there is a "greatest rock song"

It depends on your mood.....somedays you think "Shelter" could be the greatest but then you hear "Sympathy" the next and that claims the title. Ya know?

My Favorite Stone Songs (In No Order)

Sympathy For The Devil
Sway
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Moonlight Mile
You Got Me Rocking
Brown Sugar
Jumpin Jack FLash
07-30-03 01:09 AM
souldoggie Yes
Page: 1 2