ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Carlo
RIP our friend Carlo Little
© Topfoto with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bootleg Trades thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 4th, 2005 09:59 AM
2000 Man It's superior to old fashioned trading for a few reasons.

It's faster than the mail.

Everyone gets their copy from the same source files. What's good about this is that now everyone has exactly the same copy. So if some goofball still can't figure out how to rip and burn a cd correctly (I don't think you have that problem with your setup), it doesn't matter, because everyone theoretically gets as close to the source as possible.

Since BT's are generally in a lossless compressed format, you can save multiple shows on DVD's and if someone wants to trade with you in the future you can just uncompress and burn or tell them you're gonna do another torrent and then a few people can get it.

What's bad about BT is that if you don't get on at the beginning and the torrent isn't wildly popular, you may have trouble completing it. It may also be a slow torrent and if you keep the windows open (even minimized) most torrent programs can use up a lot of PC resources. They take a long time to download, but more importantly, they take longer to upload. If you don't upload at LEAST what you download then you're not helping the torrent at all, and you generally piss off the people that originally seeded the torrent.

Another minus is that you need to have a burner on your computer, but in this day and age they're pretty cheap and dependable.

With that being said, I think I'll put up something nice today.
August 4th, 2005 10:10 AM
Factory Girl Thank you, 2000 Man!

Kings of Leon on 8/11!!
August 4th, 2005 10:33 PM
jpenn11
quote:
2000 Man wrote:
It's superior to old fashioned trading for a few reasons.

Everyone gets their copy from the same source files. What's good about this is that now everyone has exactly the same copy. So if some goofball still can't figure out how to rip and burn a cd correctly (I don't think you have that problem with your setup), it doesn't matter, because everyone theoretically gets as close to the source as possible.

No worries about getting a Princo or other sickly disc.

quote:
Since BT's are generally in a lossless compressed format, you can save multiple shows on DVD's and if someone wants to trade with you in the future you can just uncompress and burn or tell them you're gonna do another torrent and then a few people can get it.

Storage on DVD or hard drive is generally more robust than CD (though some who've had hard drives die may differ--at least a hard drive is a back up for your CD).

August 5th, 2005 01:02 AM
keithriffhard well I'm sure a lot of you have bit torrent stuff on CDRs' so why not trade those
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)