ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Carlo
RIP our friend Carlo Little
© Topfoto with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: well... they replaced Chuck.... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 2nd, 2005 10:01 PM
exile
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
yawn. but when I wanna talk about the Black Crowes, I go to blackcrowes.org

I think there is some wisdom there!

sex and travel
August 2nd, 2005 10:40 PM
Steel Wheels I saw the Crowes Sunday night in Atlantic City. They put on a great show in a small venue. While it didn't compare to a Stones show, it was a good rockin' night filled with the hits and some minor misses.

They closed the evening with Tumblin' Dice. Chris needed to read the lyrics off of a paper and the band completely fell apart trying to weave them guitars together and groove it on out.

Other than that, a great show for 50 bucks.
August 2nd, 2005 11:03 PM
wisertime BC are the best rock'n roll band in 2005. Listened to this show of last week on blackcrowes.com and it's awesome, the acoustic set is magical.
They're better than ever. I love this band. Rock'n roll is still interesting with bands like that, never the same old setlist and always new jams.. Underrated band but it's great, they don't care of the medias, etc, it's only music and that's why I love this band. And they don't need Stones covers, their songs are great.
August 2nd, 2005 11:15 PM
ResidentMule ah man, I was so close to going to that Borgata show. I couldn't find anyone else who could make it that night. Girl From The North Country is the one thing I'm really sorry I've missed. I've been wanting to hear them do that song ever since Marc came back. did his solo on it kick ass like always? I would love a tape of that. hopefully those guys come back around real quick
August 2nd, 2005 11:29 PM
wisertime Columbus show available to download here :

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=16800

Disc 1
Set 1:
01. Another Roadside Tragedy
02. Sting Me
03. Black Moon Creeping
04. Comin' Home
05. Soul Singing
06. Girl From A Pawnshop
07. By Your Side
08. Lay It On Me
09. She Gave Good Sunflower
10. Jam
11. Thorn In My Pride
12. Drums
13. Thorn In My Pride

Disc 2
Set 2:
01. Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz *
02. Cursed Diamond *
03. You Don't Miss Your Water * +1st time played
04. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You *
05. Nonfiction *
06. Downtown Money Waster
07. Share The Ride
08. Mellow Down Easy
09. Jealous Again
10. Hard To Handle
Encore:
11. Happy

*Acoustic

Borgata amazing pictures :

http://www.amorica.org/showthread.php?t=12589

Enjoy !!!
August 3rd, 2005 12:17 AM
Bloozehound ya think Saint Sway might really be Kate Hudson ?
August 3rd, 2005 01:25 AM
Make It Funky Well I have to say, Ive quite enjoyed this threaded discussion. I had to laugh at the whole suggestion on going to the Black Crowes message board.. too funny, (because Saint already is there!)

I can't help but support Saint's argument, for, I too think that the Crowes play better renditions of Stones classics (and rareties) than how the Stones play their own material!!

I believe that there are two different arguments going on here, and things have gotten muddled.. I dont think Saint will deny the fact that The Stones catalogue far outweighs that of the Crowes, for, it'd be embarrasing to think there even was a comparison... This is not to say that the Crowes dont have wicked material.

I happen to think that the Crowes material is equally as ecclectic as the Stones, they just dont have the decades and volumes of songs (YET!).

The Stones are amazing in concert.. yes, but, its not so much the music that is amazing, its the mere fact they are still alive and doing it, and seeing these legends perform half-assed (occaisionally they nail it). I can think of a handful of times where the Stones have actually nailed a tune (and Ive seen them 30+ times internationally). And those times have stuck in my mind - and IM always chasing hte dragon, hoping for another spectacular moment of ecstacy with them.

But The Crowes are less about the spectacle, for, they arent as famous or as showy, relying less on props and back up musicians to carry them... the Crowes musically, live in concert, are FAR SUPERIOR to the Stones. Keith cannot play like Rich Robinson, and Ron Wood cannot play like Marc Ford. For waht ever reasons (senility? Laziness? Lack of passion?) I mean, if I had had a few hundred million bucks in the bank, I woudlnt play with as much conviction either. The Stones dont have to try, or prove themselves like the Crowes do.

I think this is where the "problem" lies. The Stones have the catalog of music, but can't play it as good as the Crowes, who, for all intents an dpurposes don't have as many tunes, hence, they play Stones etc cover tunes. And, frankly, wouldnt you rather hear a band play a tune which is familiar to you with class and conviction, than a sloppy lazy haphazzard version?? I certainly would. Infact, I think I play a better version of Jumpin Jack Flash than what Ive heard the Stones do in the past 25 years.

Cheers!
August 3rd, 2005 01:30 AM
corgi37 I just dont get all this lavish praise on what really is a Stones/Faces rip off band.

Ok, i'll be kind. Stones/Faces "cover" band.

There is only 1 reason why they got back together, and we all know it.

Robinson couldnt handle minding the baby all day while his wife pulled in the millions.

That, and having to see Goldie Hawn so much.
August 3rd, 2005 01:31 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The Black Crowes - that is.

nearly 15 years ago. Chuck played on their debut record and played on some dates with them. Then they hired the far superior Eddie Harsch on keyboards. Eddie's been kickin ass and taking names ever since.

so...

what the hell is taking the Stones so long to find a better keyboard player than Leavell????

They hired Harsch on Chuck's recommendation. The two are not exactly night and day in terms of style or sound. If it's the "plink, plink" you're not liking, Harsch is just as guilty.
August 3rd, 2005 01:36 AM
Make It Funky I just listened to the Columbus show, and its bloody brilliant!!! Where else can you can get a Flying Burrito Bros sounding concert, doing cover tunes of Bonnie & Delaney, doing a blues tune, accoustic numbers, and encoring with a Stones classic?? Like... I already know I'll listen to this live Crowes feed from Columbus than I will of Live Licks. (is that the title?).

Black Crowes = True Rock n Roll Sound Representation. Streets of Love????????? Wake up biased people.
August 3rd, 2005 01:36 AM
Make It Funky I just listened to the Columbus show, and its bloody brilliant!!! Where else can you can get a Flying Burrito Bros sounding concert, doing cover tunes of Bonnie & Delaney, doing a blues tune, accoustic numbers, and encoring with a Stones classic?? Like... I already know I'll listen to this live Crowes feed from Columbus than I will of Live Licks. (is that the title?).

Black Crowes = True Rock n Roll Sound Representation. Streets of Love????????? Wake up biased people.
August 3rd, 2005 01:58 AM
exile
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Streets of Love????????? Wake up biased people.

What do you expect on a Rolling Stones board?

The Black Crowes were good 15 years ago with Remedy

NOW they are the poor-mans "Tyler and Perry"
August 3rd, 2005 04:12 AM
Freejack I will see Crowes at the Filmore this weekend, than Stones in a month. I will decide than.

Rock on!!!
August 3rd, 2005 05:09 AM
wisertime
quote:
exile wrote:

What do you expect on a Rolling Stones board?

The Black Crowes were good 15 years ago with Remedy

NOW they are the poor-mans "Tyler and Perry"

Bullshits, I can understand people don't like the band but don't write about things you don't know. They're far better than 15 years ago. I don't think they wrote their best songs in 1990 or 1992, listen to the "by your side" B-sides ("It must be over", etc) you'll understand.
August 3rd, 2005 08:54 AM
full moon Most here are still stuck in the 70's....... The Crowes are top notch and one of few true rock bands at this point...
August 3rd, 2005 09:02 AM
White House Lawn They play great, but for me it's always seemed like they're just "little kids playing dress-up in Daddy's clothes."

I met a few of 'em before and they're also MAJOR fucking assholes.
August 3rd, 2005 09:09 AM
exile
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
the most perceptive remark in this debate has been the one on the limited songwriting range the Crowes have. They seem to have mastered one genre, I take the creativity of the Stones over them any day. ...........without risks, you can't stay exciting. The Crowes, well, seem to have got less exciting in a decade and a half

quote:
Riffhard wrote:
that The Stones have written many,many,many, more classic tunes than the Crowes ever will. Hence,the Crowes cover The Stones tunes and The Stones won't be covering the Crowes material.

quote:
telecaster wrote:
You are missing the point. Most here like the Black Crowes

I wanted them to be a huge band. I just listened to the entire link you provided. I used to love the way they played

Now the are a two trick pony

To compare them to The Stones is absurd

Where is their "YCAGWYW?"

"Gimme Shelter?"

"Midnight Rambler"

"Goats Head Soup"

"Some Girls Album"

"Wild Horses"

"Saint of Me"

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury we rest our case.
August 3rd, 2005 09:49 AM
Jair
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

so...

what the hell is taking the Stones so long to find a better keyboard player than Leavell????

WHO you would put in Chuck's place?
Richard Clayderman, maybe?
IF there was a better piano player, HE woulkd be with the Stones, you might be sure of that. There are lots of requirements to play with them, you know...

August 3rd, 2005 10:23 AM
T&A
quote:
Freejack wrote:
I will see Crowes at the Filmore this weekend, than Stones in a month. I will decide than.

Rock on!!!

I'll be there Friday nite - which show are you going to?
August 3rd, 2005 11:56 AM
Saint Sway you folks going to the Crowes Fillmore shows this weekend are in for a real treat. Its gonna be an epic run. Two sets every night. Minimal repeats. Crazy covers. Guests. Its gonna be a blast!
August 3rd, 2005 02:01 PM
Joey " Robinson & Ford simply destroy Richards & Wood. "

< ---------------

[Edited by Joey]
August 3rd, 2005 02:36 PM
KeepRigid I love the Crowes, but isn't this like saying "John Lee Hooker couldn't play like Robert Cray?"
August 3rd, 2005 04:50 PM
Make It Funky Take it one step further Rigid: JLH couldnt play Robert Cray songs/style/talent.

I strongly encourage all the nay-sayers to check out the Black Crowes in their respetive towns - including corgi, when the Crowes hit Aussie in October. I guaruntee, all of you will be "moved".

Lastly, I forget who mentioned it on here, but they said something to the effect of "Keith: The guitar is an instrument to play, not a stage-prop". I rest my case. I love Chuck Berry, but I know that the Stones (used to) play better chuck berry than chuck berry. This is the same exact analogy. If you've seen Chuck Berry in concert lately (the past ten years), you'll know what Im talking about. Funnily enough, the Crowes now play better chuck berry than the Stones did in 1969! I guess its all relative.

Cheers.
August 3rd, 2005 05:01 PM
Saint Sway Make It Funky's analogy is perfect. Its all about passing the torch on and trying to do it one better. Keith did Chuck better than Chuck. And Rich does Keith better than Keith.

the Crowes naysayers here can knock them all they want. But deep down they know the truth: If the new Stones album sounded like the Crowes Southern Harmony record - or even came close to sounding like any of the Crowes records - we wouldn't be able to read this board anymore because of all the jiz that would cover it.
August 3rd, 2005 05:09 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

they're streaming a live show from last week. Give it a listen and judge for yourself.

that, my friends, is rock and roll.

Robinson & Ford simply destroy Richards & Wood.

LOL!!! Better yet, check it out live and see the error of Sway's conclusions...Chris Robinson makes Steve Tyler seem original (and talented)...Crowes peaked live back in '96-'98--all downhill since then
August 3rd, 2005 06:22 PM
glencar That is indeed an odd comparison. Robinson & Co. are not quite as good as you think. I would like to see them open for the Stones though.
August 3rd, 2005 10:58 PM
Steel Wheels This is all internet bullshit. All I know is the Crowes peaked with Page, and releasing a lousy album in Lions was a mistake. Soul Singing and 'Lickin are the last great Crowes tunes, and the only worthwhile tracks on that album.

Both bands are good, but no one touches John Lee Hooker. John Lee Hooker lived the life, sung the songs, and played true, downhome music for the people. He was one of us - the hard working, blue collar, pay check to paycheck Johns who swilled down the Pabst Blue Ribbon and danced with a furry to tracks such as Boogie Chillun' and grooved on out to Crawlin' Kingsnake.
August 3rd, 2005 11:26 PM
exile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
we wouldn't be able to read this board anymore because of all the jiz that would cover it.

What an informative and intelligent argument
August 3rd, 2005 11:51 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the Crowes naysayers here can knock them all they want. But deep down they know the truth: If the new Stones album sounded like the Crowes Southern Harmony record - or even came close to sounding like any of the Crowes records - we wouldn't be able to read this board anymore because of all the jiz that would cover it.

Deep down I know the truth- hell I've seen the Crowes twice this year and a total of maybe 10+ times. They're a good rock band and I would recommend their live show to anyone. It's excellent entertainment. I also know, from first hand experience, that the people posting here fresh from the BlackCrowes.com message board have an exaggerated idea of the actual importance of the band. When you are comparing the talent, you are comparing the relatively minor league talent of the Crowes to the major league talent of the Stones. The truth is there is no comparison except to the hard core, die hard BC fans (like the ones you have been posting on this thread the last few days).

I've seen the Black Crowes and I've the Stones live and the Crowes simply are not in the same league. That being said, go and see their show. While it may not be the life altering experience advertised by some, it's still great entertainment. You will have a good time.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 4th, 2005 12:55 AM
Make It Funky Saint, you got it man,because, if the music is that good, which true music is, it should conjure up those erotic feelings deep inside of you. Its "hard" for some people to grasp this concept, but, for me, its "easy" to be hard, when the music is that good (ie: Black Crowes).

For me, still, to this day, when ever I hear those 20 great Chuck Berry numbers (No Particular Place To Go, Beethoven, JBG etc) it still makes me wanna blow a load, and that music can stop me dead in my tracks. And frankly, I cant' see or hear the Stones being capable of doing that anymore. But the Crowes STILL can. They have this innate (musical) ability to convey the feeling vicariously thru three chord riffs and funky grooves (I mean, if you dont get off on the "F'n Jam" of Thorn in my Pride, then, you are simply NOT human).

I got my Toronto Kool Haus gig in the mail today, and I have NOT stopped listening to it. Holy Unbelievable!!!! I'd love to hear the Stones do as smoldering a version of Mississip Fred McDowell's "You Gotta Move" with as much conviction, passion and distortion. (wishin and a hopin')

Cheers!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)