ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Carlo
RIP our friend Carlo Little
© Topfoto with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: well... they replaced Chuck.... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 2nd, 2005 04:03 PM
Saint Sway The Black Crowes - that is.

nearly 15 years ago. Chuck played on their debut record and played on some dates with them. Then they hired the far superior Eddie Harsch on keyboards. Eddie's been kickin ass and taking names ever since.

so...

what the hell is taking the Stones so long to find a better keyboard player than Leavell????
August 2nd, 2005 04:53 PM
Saint Sway The Black Crowes just do EVERYTHING better than the Stones

they're cooler. wiser. better.
August 2nd, 2005 04:56 PM
telecaster
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The Black Crowes just do EVERYTHING better than the Stones

they're cooler. wiser. better.

Outside of The Stones creating better music, better songs, better concerts, the highest grossing tour of all time and
more gold records than any act in music history, I guess the Black Crowes would be better

You really need to find a BC board
August 2nd, 2005 04:58 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Outside of The Stones creating better music, better songs, better concerts, the highest grossing tour of all time and
more gold records than any act in music history, I guess the Black Crowes would be better

You really need to find a BC board

[Edited by Joey]
August 2nd, 2005 05:18 PM
Saint Sway Tele,

I'm talking about right now in 2005. Hands down the Crowes are better. And easily cooler.

Stones are the best ever. No doubt about it. But its been a long, long, long time since the Stones were capable of rockin out the way the Crowes do now.
August 2nd, 2005 05:25 PM
lotsajizz seen 'em both in recent tours.....the Crowes have sounded older and more tired than the Stones since at least 1999...the quality of their respective 'new' material has a lot to do with this conclusion
August 2nd, 2005 05:26 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Tele,

I'm talking about right now in 2005. Hands down the Crowes are better. And easily cooler.

Stones are the best ever. No doubt about it. But its been a long, long, long time since the Stones were capable of rockin out the way the Crowes do now.

My ASS !!!!

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Stones is STONES --- Bigger than ALL of us "

J.
August 2nd, 2005 05:26 PM
lonecrapshooter Crows are road kill. Crushed by the Steel Wheels juggernaut. They close shows with lonecrap's fav Tumbling Dice because they beed a BIGGER BANG.
August 2nd, 2005 05:46 PM
Saint Sway y'all need your heads checked

Crowes blow the Stones away on versions of CYHMK, Torn & Frayed etc

plus, over the past 15 years, I'd much rather hear a disc of the 10 worst Crowes songs over a disc of the Stones 10 best from the same time span

truth is, that these days even a bad Black Crowes song rocks harder than a good Stones song

AND as an added bonus they need Chucky & the other ass clowns on stage with them!!!
August 2nd, 2005 06:31 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
y'all need your heads checked

plus, over the past 15 years, I'd much rather hear a disc of the 10 worst Crowes songs over a disc of the Stones 10 best from the same time span

truth is, that these days even a bad Black Crowes song rocks harder than a good Stones song

AND as an added bonus they need Chucky & the other ass clowns on stage with them!!!

Like someone said, you really need to be posting on a BC board instead of a Stones board if the above is what you truly believe. While I like the BC and saw them a couple of times in concert just a few months ago (I could touch the stage where I was at), to me there is no comparison. I will take the Stones any day of the week over the Crowes. They kick the Crowes asses. Absolutely, no comparison not even close.

Also, the Crowes albums while good with a few great ones made along the way (I've got them all), they do tend to grow a little stale over time. A lot of their songs sound very similiar. Comparing the Crowes canon to the Stones canon, please excuse me while I stifle a yawn when looking over the Crowes.

Hey, to each their own. I'm well acquainted with the Crowes (I'm from Atlanta where they first got their start) and I like them. Good rock band. I just don't think their the greatest rock band that has ever lived. Apparently you do. We agree to disagree in our musical taste.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 2nd, 2005 06:57 PM
glencar First off, you don't need to find a new BC board. I do disagree with the wild assertion that you make however. There simply isn't anyone cooler than the Stones. There will be in about 10 years but not right now. And any band that has "Remedy" in its canon can't be all that good. Remember the Stones aren't covering any BC songs. There's a reason.
August 2nd, 2005 06:59 PM
Saint Sway don't gimme this "go to a crowes board" whine. Y'all can bury your heads in the sand about the state of the Stones. But not me.

go to www.blackcrowes.com

click on the "The Black Crowes radio online" in the upper right side (above the picks)

they're streaming a live show from last week. Give it a listen and judge for yourself.

that, my friends, is rock and roll.

Robinson & Ford simply destroy Richards & Wood.

when was the last time the Stones guitars were loud and raunchy like that? When was the last time they wailed away???

Keef & Woody talk about "weaving" but its just talk. The Crowes do it!!

though its probably a good thing that the Stones geetah's cant rock like that... I mean, just imagine how much the shows would cost!!
August 2nd, 2005 07:00 PM
glencar 1981.
August 2nd, 2005 07:01 PM
glencar Please note that I did NOT say you need to find a BC board!
August 2nd, 2005 07:18 PM
Saint Sway I think I typed that at the same time as your post GlenCar.

and, yes, 1981 sounds about right.

the Stones were the coolest. And I still regard them as cool. They will always be eternally cool in my book.

But define "cool"

is cool charging $450 a ticket? Is it cool to have a Vegas style backing band and horn section onstage with you? Is it cool to keep playing oversized football stadiums?? Is it cool to be dubbed "Sir"? Is it cool to turn your amps down to a pleasant Maroon 5 level? Is Streets of Love cool?? Is it cool to not jam? Is it cool to reduntantly play the same songs and set lists over and over again? Is it cool to write songs with Matt Clifford and Rob Thomas? Is it cool to charge $100 for a "fan club' membership??

I consider that shit far from cool! And I know that the Black Crowes would - for a fact - never, ever do that shit. To me, thats cool. Thats rock and roll.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
August 2nd, 2005 07:34 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
y'all need your heads checked

But are they better than Bon Jovi?
August 2nd, 2005 07:39 PM
Saint Sway 5{y wrote:

But are they better than Bon Jovi?
[/quote]

depends.... if we are discussing blow drying chest hair. Then, no. Bon Jovi are and will always remain the undisputed kings.

but if we are talking REAL, raw, rock and roll in the year '05. Then, I'll take the Black Crowes over any other band.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
August 2nd, 2005 07:41 PM
Some Guy I kinda like them but a friend of mine gave me that instant cd after their most recent Atlanta concert and I was not impressed.
August 2nd, 2005 07:49 PM
telecaster The Black Crows are so great they are the warm up band for another act, Tom Petty, after being around for almost 20yrs

If they were so great they would be headlining

They aren't

I like them, they had some great songs-12-15 plus years ago

They never followed up, infighting, the pussification of the lead singer ala Kate Hudson, the Jimmy Page fiasco

On paper they should be a still great band

Seemed like they sure had the potential

So did 10,000 other bands that never could put it together

But if you like them, great
August 2nd, 2005 08:23 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
telecaster wrote:
If they were so great they would be headlining

greatness, in R&R, should never be judged by the amount of tickets you sell.

Bon Jovi sells a lot of tickets. So do the Backstreet Boys. So does Dave Mathews and Matchbox 20. But dont you dare tell me they rock.

my point is the Crowes rock. Whether they're headlining a 4,000 seat club. Or opening for a big yawn like Tom Petty.

I'm talking about the music!!

theres a long, proud history of bands that never sold out a football stadium - but were frickin awesome rock bands.

if anything, the bigger and more successful a band becomes... the lamer they get.

the Crowes never wanted to be a big, bloated, cheesy rock band. They intentially scaled it back, many years ago. They do what they're comfortable doing. They do what they want to do. Thats what makes them cool.

that, and not having a keyboard player in a sequined t-shirt.
August 2nd, 2005 08:33 PM
Riffhard Cool? You want cool,huh? Well have a gander at this cat right here!

While the Crowes may be somewhat cool. They will never get close to Keef cool. Their whole schtick is a direct copping of Keith's reality. I know the Crowes very well(personaly in fact),and I think they are a good,if not great band,but they will never have the same cool cachet of the Glimmer Twins. Never. Ever.

Riffhard

Riffhard
August 2nd, 2005 08:42 PM
Saint Sway Riffhard

I agree with you brother!!

but, in a way, that pic helps convey exactly what I'm trying to say.

that pic looks like the Black Crowes!!!

sure, Keef is the coolest mofo to ever walk the earth. Keef's my hero. But that pic is so ancient. Keef aint that bad ass anymore. Thats the truth.

the only place the dude in that pic exists anymore is onstage at Black Crowes show. A guy like that hasnt been seen - or HEARD - onstage at a Stones show in ages.

and yeah, sure, the Crowes copped everything off the Stones and Keef. Nothing wrong with that. They didnt invent cool. They're just livin and breathin it. Sorry, but I honestly don't think the Stones are anymore.
August 2nd, 2005 08:51 PM
exile
quote:
glencar wrote:
Remember the Stones aren't covering any BC songs. There's a reason.

I think thats all that needs to be said!

I think comparing the Rolling Stones with The Black Crowes is like comparing The Beatles with the Monkees.

dont even try
August 2nd, 2005 09:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
Remember the Stones aren't covering any BC songs. There's a reason.

yeah - cuz they can't!!

no way in hell that the Stones could pull off a cover of "My Morning Song". Or "Gone"? Nope. "No Speak No Slave"? No way.

Stones couldnt even pull off a cover of "Twice As Hard". They'd wind up sounding like INXS.
August 2nd, 2005 09:25 PM
full moon The Crowes are fucking great...
August 2nd, 2005 09:43 PM
telecaster
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

yeah - cuz they can't!!

no way in hell that the Stones could pull off a cover of "My Morning Song". Or "Gone"? Nope. "No Speak No Slave"? No way.

Stones couldnt even pull off a cover of "Twice As Hard". They'd wind up sounding like INXS.

You are missing the point. Most here like the Black Crowes

I wanted them to be a huge band. I just listened to the entire link you provided. I used to love the way they played

Now the are a two trick pony (I just listened to a drum solo!). Robinson's voice is the same on every single mind numbing song. They have turned into a noodling band ala Grateful Dead and a poor mans Allman Brothers (see Chuck Levell)

I will say the guitars are tight and sound good

They can't write songs that are worth listening to more than once or twice as they all sound the same. And that is why most bands fail to stay relevant

There is a huge missing element to the Black Crows.

It is almost as if they are 10% better than any band you will find in a good bar or frat party

To compare them to The Stones is absurd

Where is their "YCAGWYW?"

"Gimme Shelter?"

"Midnight Rambler"

"Goats Head Soup"

"Some Girls Album"

"Wild Horses"

"Saint of Me"

They don't have it. They are a good band but they are not good songwriters

Plus their stage presence is a yawner. A stoned out Chris Robinson flailing around doesn't compare to the greatest rock band playing the greatest rock songs in the greatest rock show with the greatest front man in the history or rock

(Now I am hearing black girls singing over a piano player that sounds like.........Chuck Levell!)

I still like 'em, just expected more
August 2nd, 2005 09:44 PM
T&A hey - I love the Crowes - will be checking them out Friday at the Fillmore and later in the month opening for TP at the Greek.

But, no way they are cooler than Stones. And they don't charge $450 for a ticket because they are cooler - they don't 'cos they can't. Period. Anyone who can does.

August 2nd, 2005 09:44 PM
ResidentMule yawn. not this again. I'm probably the next biggest Crowes fan who visits this board after Sway, but when I wanna talk about the Black Crowes, I go to blackcrowes.org

congrats on finding such a clever way of combining your 2 favorite subjects of conversation in one thread though. I'm sure the more Chuck bashing we do, the more all of us are going to enjoy this tour
August 2nd, 2005 09:51 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

yeah - cuz they can't!!

Saint Sway,with all due respect. I think that glencar's point was that The Stones have written many,many,many, more classic tunes than the Crowes ever will. Hence,the Crowes cover The Stones tunes and The Stones won't be covering the Crowes material.

As Keith recently said,"On some nights we are the best band on the planet,and if someone better ever does come along I'll gladly hand them the torch,but that day has not come about just yet."

I,for one,agree with that assesment completely.

I have seen the Crowes countless times. Even when they were known as Mr. Crowes Garden back in the mid eighties. Yet I have never once been moved the same way as I am when seeing The Stones. Not once. To date the best show I have ever seen was The Stones at the Fox Theater in Atlanta in 1981. It is still easily the best show I have ever seen,and while that may have been years ago I still have vivid memories. The Crowes have never come remotely close to that performance.

The Stones still manage to put more asses in the seats than anyone touring these days,and the reason is because they still get people up to shake their asses. They still put on one hell of a good show. As we are all about to witness once again. Fortythree years after it all began! That is fucking unbelievable by any sense of the word. That by my personal standard is very fucking cool indeed!

Riffhard
August 2nd, 2005 09:55 PM
BlindLemon Hi,
I, for one, think that the Crowes peaked early with Remedy (which is one of my all time fave songs) and the Musical Companion album it was on. Haven't heard from them anything since that would have stood up to that. I still remember hearingthe song for the first time, I was 15 and got chills from it.
But I think the most perceptive remark in this debate has been the one on the limited songwriting range the Crowes have. They seem to have mastered one genre, I take the creativity of the Stones over them any day. B2B may have backfired on a few songs, but without risks, you can't stay exciting. The Crowes, well, seem to have got less exciting in a decade and a half - to me, at least - than the Stones in four.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)