ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Carlo
RIP our friend Carlo Little
© Topfoto with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Weak sales in Buffalo ... for Bruce Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 21st, 2005 01:13 PM
gimmekeef Bruce sold out Giants Stadium for what....10 shows or something?..He doesnt have to be worried about his ability to sell.Buffalo is like Detroit..poor economic conditions..
July 21st, 2005 01:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Bruce sold out Giants Stadium for what....10 shows or something?..He doesnt have to be worried about his ability to sell.Buffalo is like Detroit..poor economic conditions..

10 shows (over 560,000 tickets). Plus 3 at Shea a few weeks later

As much as I love Bruce and loved the solo show I saw in Dublin, I wouldnt take a nosebleed seat in a 16,000 arena for a solo gig if it was given to me. It would be a waste of time, even though he does use video screens on this tour. Luckily I scrambled a 10th row centre press seat for Dublin. Even in an arena less than half the size of that one in Buffalo, the seats at the back were shit. This tour is aimed at theatres and works brilliantly in that setting.
July 21st, 2005 01:44 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

Mattman and Ladyjane must feel humiliated...Buffalo is a stagnant town.

I would prefer a scaled down arena to a theatre. A gig like this I could get into for $0-10. PLus short beer and restroom lines. I wish there were more half empty gigs in L.A.
July 21st, 2005 05:57 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:

Mattman and Ladyjane must feel humiliated...Buffalo is a stagnant town.

Yeah...it's not the greatest economically...our winters suck...we don't get the good concerts anymore....BUT...you WILL find REAL people who love to party and are genuinely nice!!!! Can't get that in Boca!!!

LJ.

July 22nd, 2005 10:32 AM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Yeah...it's not the greatest economically...our winters suck...we don't get the good concerts anymore....BUT...you WILL find REAL people who love to party and are genuinely nice!!!! Can't get that in Boca!!!

LJ.

Like that Islamic sleeper cell group???
July 22nd, 2005 10:42 AM
charlotte
quote:
Gazza wrote:

10 shows (over 560,000 tickets). Plus 3 at Shea a few weeks later

As much as I love Bruce and loved the solo show I saw in Dublin, I wouldnt take a nosebleed seat in a 16,000 arena for a solo gig if it was given to me. It would be a waste of time, even though he does use video screens on this tour. Luckily I scrambled a 10th row centre press seat for Dublin. Even in an arena less than half the size of that one in Buffalo, the seats at the back were shit. This tour is aimed at theatres and works brilliantly in that setting.

Playing Charlotte Coliseum Sunday-23,000 seat arena-and then Greensboro-23,000-limited to 15,000 tickets each-but such a huge place to play, ticket sells are slow but I have 3rd row and 2nd row for each
July 22nd, 2005 10:59 AM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:

Like that Islamic sleeper cell group???

YOU are an idiot!!!

But I love ya, just the same!!!!

LJ.
July 22nd, 2005 11:12 AM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

YOU are an idiot!!!

But I love ya, just the same!!!!

LJ.

Please see Tim Russert............
July 22nd, 2005 04:33 PM
Joey " ... sales are a bust with most venues not selling out and very few 2nd shows added. The Stones will get their guarantees, but sadly, many of us will be humiliated in 1/2 to 3/4 filled venues. I shall attend only sold out shows. "

I shall go to Missouri ( Kansas City )

" WILD STUFF !!!! "
July 24th, 2005 12:59 AM
time is on my side Just enjoyed an incredible evening with the BOSS.

Excellent seats and Bruce seemed to be in great
spirits- what else is new?????

This is definitely a show to be enjoyed with a
close proximity to Springsteen. It's fortunate
that I was able to secure such good seats.

It was crowded- a near sell out as I did notice a
few empty seats. What could the people of this town
possibly be thinking??? It should have been an instantaneous sell out.

Great setlist with a few songs that are hardly ever
played- Sad Eyes and Valentine's Day and a few
old songs that I could hardly recognize as the
arrangements were dramatically altered- I'm On Fire
and The Promised Land.

Wonderful entertainment- highly recommended. If you
get a chance, see the show. It's great.

Tomorrow it's the two John's again- John Fogerty and
John Mellencamp in concert.

July 23, 2005

Philips Arena

Atlanta, GA

Offical Setlist

My Beautiful Reward
Reason To Believe
Devils And Dust
Lonesome Day
Long Time Comin'
Nothing Man
Incident On 57th Street
Part Man Part Monkey
All I'm Thinkin About
I'm On Fire
Reno
Sad Eyes
Valentine's Day
Lost In The Flood
The Rising
Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Jesus Was An Only Son
Leah
If I Should Fall Behind
The Hitter
Matamoros Banks
(encore)

Does This Bus Stop At 82nd St
My Best Was Never Good Enough
The Promised Land
Dream Baby Dream

[Edited by time is on my side]
July 24th, 2005 10:07 AM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ... sales are a bust with most venues not selling out and very few 2nd shows added. The Stones will get their guarantees, but sadly, many of us will be humiliated in 1/2 to 3/4 filled venues. I shall attend only sold out shows. "

I shall go to Missouri ( Kansas City )

" WILD STUFF !!!! "

"Dont Go Joey"...............................Missouri shall not sell out.
July 24th, 2005 07:21 PM
Gazza >Great setlist with a few songs that are hardly ever
played- Reno, Sad Eyes, and Valentine's Day and a few
old songs that I could hardly recognize as the
arrangements were dramatically altered- I'm On Fire
and The Promised Land.

even more impressive:

Until last night Bruce had NEVER played EITHER "Valentines Day" or "Sad Eyes" in concert, songs originally released in 1987 and 1998 (Sad Eyes was recorded in 1990, but not released until the 'Tracks' boxed set).

You got two world premieres of a pair of fine songs that had inexplicably never been performed before. I have a couple of soundchecks of him playing Valentines Day in '88 but he never played it until now.

Atlanta got the world premiere of "American skin" five years ago and he's recorded "The rising" and part of "devils and dust" there. I think he likes you guys.

Bruce's cover of "Dream baby dream" that closes these shows is the most incredible song I've heard all year.
[Edited by Gazza]
July 25th, 2005 01:44 AM
time is on my side
quote:
Bruce's cover of "Dream baby dream" that closes these shows is the most incredible song I've heard all year.
[Edited by Gazza]

I agree a sensational closing number. At first, I thought he was doing a cover of Orbison then I remember from the Backstreets web site that this is a obsure cover of a song from a band called Suicide. It definitely has an Orbison feel to it. Also, incredible how he continues to change the setlist night after night.
July 25th, 2005 10:40 AM
charlotte Brilliant show!! On to Greensboro Tuesday!

July 24, 2005
Charlotte, North Carolina
Charlotte Coliseum

Into The Fire
Reason To Believe
Devils And Dust
Empty Sky
Long Time Comin'
When You're Alone
Two Faces
The River
Part Man, Part Monkey
All I'm Thinkin' About
Highway Patrolman
Reno
Nothing Man
Real World
Racing In The Streets
The Rising
Further On Up The Road
Jesus Was An Only Son
If I Should Fall Behind
The Hitter
Matamoros Banks
(encore)

Blinded By The Light
Wild Billy's Circus Song
The Promised Land
Dream Baby Dream

Boss shows he can sizzle solo
Springsteen delivers intimate show without old hits, E Street Band
COURTNEY DEVORES
Special to the Observer

Fans came from as far as Philadelphia to catch Bruce Springsteen's rare solo acoustic appearance at Charlotte Coliseum Sunday.

Joe Thomas, a musician from Montgomery, Ala., had already seen Springsteen twice on the current tour.

"I love the band shows," said Thomas, 40, of Springsteen's fabled concerts with the E Street Band. "But if you're a real fan, this is like a dream come true."

Springsteen performed a set of close to 30 songs, moving from acoustic guitar to pump organ to baby grand piano throughout the evening. He set the tone early on, letting fans know the night's performance wouldn't be a typical hit-filled affair. Springsteen alternated between harmonica and distorted vocals, adding percussion by stomping his boot on the stage during the second song.

The bulk of his set list was pulled from his latest, critically acclaimed albums, "Devils & Dust" and "The Rising." He played both title tracks, as well as the energetic "All I'm Thinkin' About," "Further On (Up the Road)," "Empty Sky," "Nothing Man," "The Hitter," and an emotional "Matamoros Banks."

The set list also included "Dust's" sexually explicit "Reno," the raciest piece he's ever written.

One of the biggest treats for longtime fans was seeing Springsteen at the piano, where he performed songs such as "The River," "Jesus Was an Only Son," and "When You're Alone," which he said he had played only once before in concert.

"On the last tour, he did a few songs solo on the piano," Thomas said. "The piano versions of full band songs are one of the best things about the night."

The other important aspect of the show was the intimate nature of his performance -- even in the enormous coliseum. Beneath draped curtains and chandeliers, he appeared to be the star of an episode of "VH1 Storytellers." Cameras that projected the show on screens above the stage focused on his busy hands and feet.

Occasionally joking as he introduced songs, Springsteen chuckled as he referenced North Carolina in "Long Time Coming." He introduced the song by mentioning that his cousin Frankie, who taught him his first guitar chords, raised his family in Charlotte before returning to New Jersey.

Although the show was devoid of big hits, the fans who turned out were rapt by the intimacy and musicianship of the Boss's performance. But for once he wasn't the Boss of his famous big band productions.

Instead, the focus was his songwriting, singing and ability to transfix a crowd on his own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 25th, 2005 10:58 AM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
The Chicago heat wave has been very hard on the sick and elderly. Please make sure you are adequately hydrated Pam.

Also, when someone is embalmed, howe long can the body remain preserved w/out refrigeration....for example, can the body go on a mini-theater tour?

ROTFLOL!~ I am NOT adequately hydrated. I am FRYING in OH so put me on your damn friendship list jb or I'm gonna come and get you!

Do It!

July 25th, 2005 11:25 AM
jb
quote:
Martha wrote:

ROTFLOL!~ I am NOT adequately hydrated. I am FRYING in OH so put me on your damn friendship list jb or I'm gonna come and get you!

Do It!

Please drink lots of fluids.
July 25th, 2005 04:24 PM
Martha jb I am honored to be drinking to You! A great friend indeed. ;-)

Now make sure to get yourself to Chicago.

July 30th, 2005 12:23 AM
time is on my side [quote]charlotte wrote:
Brilliant show!! On to Greensboro Tuesday!

Just got back into town tonight. How was the Greensboro show???? The show in Atlanta was awesome even though I was really hoping he would play Racing in the Streets. How was the version at the show you went to????
July 31st, 2005 12:34 PM
Martha I am fully hydrated and ready to ROCK with the BOSS tonight in Columbus at the Schott. I just got our tickets.... hours before the show.

See.....there's always tickets. :-)

We are in section 123 Row K Seats 18-19. Anyone else going?

By the way Elvis Costello the Imposters Emmy Lou Harris and Larry Campbell completely BLEW us AWAY on Friday night at the Fraze Pavilion in Dayton. I got the set list from the soundboard guy. It is a full 2 pages in length. They did Wild Horses, When I Paint My Masterpiece, One of These Days, Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down, Pancho and Lefty, Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used to Do?, Love Hurts, You Don't Know My Mind (A Jimmy Martin tune I think it was his signature song), COuntry Darkness, Mystery Train, Red Dirt Girl, Clubland, Uncomplicated, Monkey To Man, Wheels, and many more. They played nonstop for 3 hours and we were in the 5th row. Elvis and I bonded! It was the GEM show of the year for me.

Oh.....and it got taped too! ;-)

hehehe.........

And now let's do it with the BOSS!
July 31st, 2005 01:30 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Gazza wrote:
that was an arena show, right?

That type of show simply doesnt work in an arena. The rest of the tour was theatres and sold out in seconds

Exactly - it's a very succesful tour and to suggest otherwise is assinine.

The fact that Springsteen has the nuggets to do these tours (and albums), IMO, is refreshing.

More power to him.
August 1st, 2005 01:28 PM
Martha We MADE the gig!!!!! Got our tickets around 11:00 the day of the show. We got great seats on the side about 55 feet from Bruce.....I coulda' jumped right on him if Chris had boosted me a bit. LOL

What songs on this list did he play for the first time (he mentioned 3). I need your astute help here Gary!

PS Next show ZZTOP! on Sunday the 7th at the Ohio State Fair! Tickets are $25 reserved and that pays your fair entry fee too. Hope to see you all there! :-)

peace out for now,
Martha
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Schottenstein Center

1. Lift Me Up
2. Reason To Believe
3. Devils And Dust
4. Lonesome Day
5. Long Time Comin'
6. Back In Your Arms
7. For You
8. State Trooper
9. Cynthia
10. One Step Up
11. Reno
12. When You're Alone
13. Valentine's Day
14. Lost In The Flood
15. The Rising
16. Further On Up The Road
17. Jesus Was An Only Son
18. Two Hearts
19. The Hitter
20. Matamoros Banks
(encore)
21. Ramrod
22. Bobby Jean
23. The Promised Land
24. Dream Baby Dream

August 1st, 2005 02:07 PM
Gazza Hi April

Saw the setlist this morning

Lift me up has never been played before

Back In Your Arms and Cynthia are two real rarities and last night was their 2005 debut. Cynthia was played a couple of times towards the end of the Rising tour

Incredible setlist. One Step Up. When Youre Alone, Valentines Day - the last 3 songs on Tunnel of Love which have all just come into the set in the last week or so. Thats an album hes neglected since 1988, but this tour hes played 10 out of the 12 songs from it (only missing the title track and "Aint got you" which being a solo acoustic you would have thought MIGHT have been possible!)

The weird thing about these shows is that despite the incredible variety of songs in the back catalogue that hes played is that he hasnt played a note from "Born to run"! And not too much off "born in the usa" either, come to think of it

Glad you enjoyed it. I think theres no one else who could do a solo show like that..

and what about "dream baby dream" ? have you ever heard ANYTHING like that in your life?
August 2nd, 2005 05:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Incredible setlist. One Step Up. When Youre Alone, Valentines Day - the last 3 songs on Tunnel of Love which have all just come into the set in the last week or so. Thats an album hes neglected since 1988, but this tour hes played 10 out of the 12 songs from it (only missing the title track and "Aint got you" which being a solo acoustic you would have thought MIGHT have been possible!)

Looks Like I spoke too soon :

from www.backstreets.com - review of Cincinnati 1/8/05:

Now this is just getting ridiculous. (But for the luvvagod, man, don't stop!) After a jaw-dropper in Columbus last night, Springsteen continues to shine a light on long-neglected material from '88 forward, debuting three more songs tonight. First up, Bruce told the crowd that he opened with something obscure the previous night, and that he was gonna do it again. It was "Two for the Road," the "Tunnel of Love" B-side and Tracks cut, on electric piano. In the electric guitar slot, a Buddy Holly-esque "Ain't Got You" (the Tunnel album-opener, which now leaves the title track as the only song from that album left to be played on this tour). And on 12-string and harmonica, arguably the high water mark of the 1992 albums, "Living Proof." And that's just the tour debuts. Cinci also got the second tour performances of "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart" and "Walk Like a Man" (each played once in Europe), plus "The Promise" and "Open All Night." After "Two Hearts," Bruce added that he should have worked "easier said than done" into the lyric -- it's got the rhyme, after all. But then he noted that there was already a song by that name -- which he started to sing before realizing, "I'm dating myself... nobody knows this!" ("Easier Said Than Done" was a number one hit for The Essex, back in 1963.) Not counting that one, Bruce played 38 different songs in all over these two stunning, back-to-back nights in Ohio.

Setlist: Two for the Road***/Reason to Believe/Devils & Dust/Empty Sky/Long Time Comin'/Silver Palomino/Janey, Don't You Lose Heart***/The Promise*/The River*/Ain't Got You/All I'm Thinkin' About/Living Proof/Reno/Walk Like a Man***-*/Racing in the Street*/The Rising/Darkness on the Edge of Town/Jesus Was an Only Son*/Two Hearts/The Hitter/Matamoros Banks//Open All Night/This Hard Land/The Promised Land/Dream Baby Dream**
*=piano
**=pump organ
***=electric piano

[Edited by Gazza]
August 2nd, 2005 07:38 AM
glencar He doesn't do Tunnel Of Love anymore? Sad.
August 2nd, 2005 07:56 AM
Gazza He did it at Shea in 2003, but its appearances are rare

The album as a whole has been pretty overlooked in recent years (possibly because much of mirrors the disintegration of his first marriage)but it seems that this tour he's rediscovered it. I bet he's fully aware that the title track is the only song he hasnt played from it so far this year so he'll probably unearth it at some point over the fonal few shows

Its a great record. One of his best IMO. I bought it on the day it came out when I was on honeymoon in Paris.
August 4th, 2005 07:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I bet he's fully aware that the title track is the only song he hasnt played from it so far this year so he'll probably unearth it at some point over the final few shows

and yea, verily I speaketh the truth :

from www.backstreets.com

8/3, GRAND RAPIDS: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE SWEEP!
Grand Rapids was momentous from the get-go: as of tonight's opener, "Tunnel of Love," every song from that 1987 album has now been played on this tour. (Bruce even later reprised "Ain't Got You" for good measure, which was just debuted at the previous show.) "Tunnel" was on the electric piano, a bluesy and hypnotic reading that reflected the weight of another 18 years on the narrator. At the other end of the emotional spectrum, "Sherry Darling" also premiered on that "magic piano," offered up as a fun summertime song; a couple songs later the crowd was rocking to the second tour performance of "Cynthia," even singing along at the end. But despite such fun, what was most notable tonight was Bruce's focus and intensity: "The Rising," though played nightly, stood out as exceptional, as did "Further," with a particularly aggressive intro and drawn-out ending. "I Wish I Were Blind" was a beautiful reading on the piano (preceded, as it was in Ottawa, by some technical difficulties, this time a dead mic -- what is it about this song?). And leading off the encore, "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City" on acoustic guitar made for another three tour premieres, for the third show in a row. Next: Saturday night at the only theater on this leg, the Fox in St. Louis.
-August 3, 2005
August 4th, 2005 07:44 AM
telecaster Gazza - do you have this? Do you want me to record?

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: Live in New York City
Saturday, August 6, 2005

Check local listings -
August 2005 marks the 30th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen's seminal "Born to Run" album and this concert provides the perfect celebration. The concert was recorded at the last two of ten emotional shows Bruce and the E Street Band performed at Madison Square Garden. (CC, Stereo)

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)