ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Keith Just a Sad Old Alchohlic Now? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
July 26th, 2004 12:29 PM
Zeeta Discuss...

At least Ronnie is trying to sort things out, does Keith now have to?

How would he perform sober? (Has he ever performed sober!?!)

Does Keith need to start thinking about his health? Why should he?
We are all gonna die so keep it up as long as possible?!?!? Is this responsible of him as he has a family?

I personally would like to see him stay around a bit longer so maybe he should think about it!

Would we have less respect for him if he DID quit? The master of rock and roll quitting smoking and drinking!

I might even have more respect - I mean Charlie doesn't do much and he is cool as fuck!

What do you think?
July 26th, 2004 01:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels WHO CARES???? LETS PAAAAARRRRTY!!!!
July 26th, 2004 01:30 PM
MrPleasant I'm sad and I'm not even thirty.
July 26th, 2004 01:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Is Keith Just a Sad Old Alchohlic Now?

Not at all!!!!
He is not sad...
July 26th, 2004 01:44 PM
glencar Is he an alky? He sure is old though.
July 26th, 2004 01:53 PM
gimmekeef Heck he wrote some of the best songs in history (IMHO) on heroin (Gimmeshelter etc etc)so what's a little booze?..Keith is never going to change because he doesnt have to...
July 26th, 2004 02:02 PM
stones-addict Why worry about Keef? He'll probably outlive all of us! And no, he's not a sad old drunk. He's still the world's most elegantly wasted human being.
July 26th, 2004 02:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is he an alky? He sure is old though.

Oh probably. I mean after all, as everyone knows, he was a heroin junkie for many years. Remember that trite little excuse making slogan that they were saying for awhile..."all revolutions have casualties". At any rate, he has a nice family who I'm sure love him very much. But even that probably ain't enough. He'll quit drinking when he's ready, if ever. So why worry about it?
July 26th, 2004 02:21 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
I'm sad and I'm not even thirty.

Please don't be sad as this Tuesday Evening , Teddy Kennedy will be the Keynote Speaker at the Democratic Convention in Boston .

The election of John Kerry to the Presidency is Dear Teddy's last chance to get back " inside " the White House so look for him to give an emotional tribute to all of his dead brothers tomorrow night -- " sniff , sniff " !!!

" My Brother need not be idolized ...........Ronnie ! "

Jacky Hilton !
July 26th, 2004 02:29 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

Please don't be sad as this Tuesday Evening , Teddy Kennedy will be the Keynote Speaker at the Democratic Convention in Boston .

The election of John Kerry to the Presidency is Dear Teddy's last chance to get back " inside " the White House so look for him to give an emotional tribute to all of his dead brothers tomorrow night -- " sniff , sniff " !!!

" My Brother need not be idolized ...........Ronnie ! "

Jacky Hilton !

Very kind words. I shall dedicate my next hearing of Emotional Rescue to you.
July 26th, 2004 02:30 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Very kind words. I shall dedicate my next hearing of Emotional Rescue to you.

I would like to clutch you to my bosom and tickle you with my erect nipples .

Bercey !
July 26th, 2004 02:32 PM
glencar Teddy's been a sad old alky for 4 decades already! Tomorrow's slosh will start at 9AM pronto!
July 26th, 2004 02:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Is Teddy still an alkie too? I dunno but I'll bet those dems are just swilling the booze down about right now.
July 26th, 2004 02:33 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Teddy's been a sad old alky for 4 decades already! Tomorrow's slosh will start at 9AM pronto!

Four Decades ?!?!

FOUR DECADES ?!?!?!

.............try SIX !

Word !

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "
Kurcee Jercee Joe !
July 26th, 2004 02:37 PM
MrPleasant Hey this rocks!
--------------------------------------
Emotional Rescue [Rolling Stones, 1980]
No one will ever mistake this for a great Stones album, but I bet it sounds more interesting than It's Only Rock 'n Roll should we take the time to compare and contrast in our respective retirement communities. The mid-'60s charm of such tossed-off tropes as "Where the Boys Go" and "She's So Cold" goes with music that's far more allusive and irregular and knowing: for better and worse its drive isn't so monolithic, and the bass comes front and center like Bill was James Jamerson. Looser than you'll ever be. B+

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=1533&name=The+Rolling+Stones

July 26th, 2004 02:42 PM
glencar Read Christgau's review of DW. Amazing.
July 26th, 2004 02:43 PM
glencar I made it easy for youse:

Dirty Work [Rolling Stones, 1986]
Dreaming of solo glory, Mick doesn't have much time for his band these days--just plugged into his Stones mode and spewed whatever he had to spew, adding lyrics and a few key musical ideas to tracks Ron and Keith completed before the star sullied his consciousness with them. And I say let him express himself elsewhere. For once his lyrics are impulsive and confused, two-faced by habit rather than design, the straightest reports he can offer from the top he's so lonely at, about oppressing and being oppressed rather than geopolitical contradiction. In the three that lead side two, always playing dirty is getting to him, as is his misuse of the jerks and greaseballs and fuckers and dumb-asses who clean up after him, yet for all his privilege he's another nuclear subject who's got no say over whether he rots or pops even though he'd much prefer the former. Especially together with the hard advice of "Hold Back," these are songs of conscience well-known sons of bitches can get away with. Coproducer Steve Lillywhite combines high-detail arena-rock with back-to-basics commitment and limits the melismatic affectations that have turned so much of Mick's late work in on itself. Let him have his own life and career, I don't care. What I want is the Stones as an idea that belongs to history, that's mine as much as theirs. This is it. A
July 26th, 2004 02:49 PM
MrPleasant I'm going to make a thesis on geopolitical contradiction. It sounds like home.
July 26th, 2004 03:09 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue was the album that sucked me in, way back in 1980 when the world was a much, much safer place.
July 26th, 2004 03:23 PM
telecaster Rehab is for quitters
July 26th, 2004 03:28 PM
Factory Girl We are all getting older and drunker with each passing day. Next question....
July 26th, 2004 03:29 PM
glencar Steve Jordan of the old Expensive Winos is now the bandleader for the DNC.
July 26th, 2004 03:34 PM
Mel Belli Keith's alcoholic chic behavior is mostly an act nowadays. I bet he's sober a lot more often than he'd have us believe.
July 26th, 2004 03:35 PM
Factory Girl isn't DNC a gynocological procedure??? Or do you mean the Democratic Convention...LOL?
July 26th, 2004 03:39 PM
glencar Yeah he's playing for the Dims. I hate these people!
July 26th, 2004 03:48 PM
Joey
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
isn't DNC a gynocological procedure???

Katie , isn't that called a " D & C " ?!?!?! A lot of the young women at my college used to get them ( circa 1983 )

W- W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?! Oh , sure :

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/presentations/100013_3.htm

Dr. Joey Khomeini !

[Edited by Joey]
July 26th, 2004 03:49 PM
Some Guy Joey me!
July 26th, 2004 03:54 PM
Gazza >At least Ronnie is trying to sort things out, does Keith now have to?

Whether he has to is one thing. I think he should, regardless of the fact Ronnie has his own problems.

>How would he perform sober? (Has he ever performed sober!?!)

I think sobriety in Keith's case is all relative! He can still perform OK. I think arthritis in his fingers may be the biggest physical problem he has at present when performing.

>Does Keith need to start thinking about his health?

Yes. He's rapidly becoming a parody of himself, even though he's still pretty cool much of the time. But he's also ageing horribly. Keith pretty much looked his age up until around 1980. Since then, for every year he's lived he looks two years older. Look at the photos down the years as to what's happened to his face to see what I mean. By the time a long tour ends he's looking considerably older than he did when it began. I shudder to think what his insides are like.

> Why should he?

because I personally think he'll be dead in a few years otherwise. Anyone who thinks that he'll go on until he's 100 because he's superhuman is delusional.

>We are all gonna die so keep it up as long as possible?!?!? Is this responsible of him as he has a family?

Your've basically answered your question. There's enough people encouraging him to keep up his lifestyle because it "suits" their image of him, without even thinking about the guy himself as a human being (not an icon) who has a wife and four kids..he doesnt owe it to us to keep up some bullshit image.

>I personally would like to see him stay around a bit longer so maybe he should think about it!

I genuinely fear for his health over the next five years or so. I really hope he does.

>Would we have less respect for him if he DID quit? The master of rock and roll quitting smoking and drinking!

Not remotely. However,I'm sure Keith isn't so dumb that he doesn't get medical check ups every so often (and I'd imagine that before a tour for insurance purposes that would be the case anyway). Just because he's in reasonable health now doesn't mean he will be next month or in 6 months time. I'd really like to see him quit smoking and at least cut down on the alcohol intake.

>I might even have more respect - I mean Charlie doesn't do much and he is cool as fuck!

No one cooler, although Charlie's pretty partial to over-indulgences. I met Charlie once. And I had to grab him as he almost fell over!

July 26th, 2004 04:05 PM
glencar There are some women who would kill for that experience!
July 26th, 2004 04:57 PM
F505 Discussions about the Stones are becoming more and more geriatrical these days
Page: 1 2 3