ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Toronto Rocks Return to archive
July 23rd, 2004 05:22 PM
UGot2Rollme I know this is kind of old news, but I finally picked this up and was impressed by most of the performances. I thought the Stones were very inspired and looked like they were having fun, too. Ronnie was on, though mix is a little light in parts for him (e.g. his first solo on Rock me Baby). The Timberlake duet is worth watching if only to see Keith come to the front of the stage to berate the bottle throwers - classic Keef. Ruby Tuesday was very well done also and nice to get instead of all war horses.

As for the other bands, I thought the Guess Who and Rush were excellent. ACDC was good, but not as hot as I expected them to be based on reviews - Johnson's voice seemed a little frail on Back in Black. Isley Bros. guitar player rocks (he's an Isley, right?)... the lowpoint was Flaming Lips - goofy stage presence and their singer was off key for both songs.

The audio and video is very well done also. Anyway, that's my review - it's worth checking out if you get a chance.

M. Cohl, Jr.
July 23rd, 2004 07:53 PM
Soldatti I didn't see it all, but the few performances that I saw are very good, "Ruby Tuesday" is amazing...
[Edited by Soldatti]
July 23rd, 2004 10:28 PM
LadyJane Ruby Tuesday and Nearness of You were the highlights for me. Both made me cry! A sure sign that LJ is in Stones heaven!! Can't believe it's been a whole year!!

So glad I had the courage to attend a historic event. Thanks to my pals who looked out for me.

LJ.
July 24th, 2004 09:22 AM
mickmask I agree, Coyne sounded off key... cold maybe? I know he's very Neil Youngesque at the best of times, but he was definitey not up to par that day.
I was there too and one thing I will never forget is the atmosphere (warm muggy night, the stars are out.. and the sound of 450,000 voices, arm in arm, many of us, singing 'Ruby Tuesday'... just unforgettable.
What a day!!

mm.
July 25th, 2004 10:27 AM
Make It Funky Yeah, I just got it sent here in Australia, and I haven't stopped watching it. Having been there, I still think that AC/DC were the high point, and wished that this DVD captured that - unfortunately, they only got 3 songs. (that directors cut).

For those fellow Canadians out there, check out the finale song of Sass Jordan with Jeff Healey. Blissful and sweet!!
I think the Guess Who were amazing as well.

lastly, is it me, or is the sound on the DVD far superior to the sound of the festival a year ago? I don't remember it being so clear and flawless!?!? Was this the same performance by the Stones??

cheers.
July 25th, 2004 11:54 AM
UGot2Rollme I agree with MIF that the sound quality is top notch - remastered, digital, whatever,.. its very clear. The film is also high grade, theater type picture.
July 27th, 2004 12:14 AM
getsatisfied If you got the worldwide version of the dvd you will see mickmask and myself in the booklet all covered up with the masks on. Sass and Jeff where nothing short of fantastic. I agree AC/DC where right on as well. Brian Johnsons line " we wouldn't have missed this for the (bleeping) world and Angus and his Canadian flag boxers have stuck in my mind as two more highlights. I must tell you that half way through the Rush set I was just about done. I found a small piece of real estate to lie down but as soon as AC/DC started to play I got my second wind real quick. Rush was the first major concert I went to when I was 15. The Stones where the most recent and AC/DC was a band I had never seen but always wanted to so I think I got my 21.50 Canadian worth that day. But none of this would have been possible if it weren't for Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie. Their love for Toronto is not one sided. Toronto, Ontario, damn... Canada loves them as much as they love us and we thank them for a great day. Not to mention our grandchildren(not to soon I hope) will see their grandma and grandpas picture associated with the largest single day ticketed musical event ever held. We thank the Stones for giving us that opportunity as well.
Peace!
gs
[Edited by getsatisfied]
July 27th, 2004 10:49 AM
glencar I ordered this online & it should be here when I get back from vacation. Something to look forward to.