ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Carlos Paredes RIP Return to archive
July 23rd, 2004 04:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Portuguese Guitarist Carlos Paredes Dies

LISBON, Portugal - Carlos Paredes, a virtuoso of the Portuguese guitar, died Friday following a prolonged bone illness and diabetes, the Fundacao-Lar Nossa Senhora da Saude retirement home said. He was 79.

Paredes, who was born in Coimbra, started playing the 12-string Portuguese guitar when he was 4 years old. He recorded his first album in 1957, and released several works and soundtracks through 1987.

"He was a perfectionist. He played until his fingers bled," said movie director Paulo Rocha, for whom Paredes wrote the soundtrack for the 1963 film "Os Verdes Anos," or "The Green Years."

His music — based on the roots of mournful, pensive Fado but with his own particular twist — was considered a hallmark of Portuguese culture.

"He was a genius, a great artist who gave a universal dimension to the Portuguese guitar, and through his music expressed the Portuguese soul," politician and poet Manuel Alegre said.

The Portuguese guitar, in the same instrument family as the mandolin and bandurria, emerged in the 18th century and is commonly used for playing Fado.

Paredes' work will be in the running for the UNESCO Master Work of the Oral and Imaterial Humanity Patrimony award.

Portuguese President Jorge Sampaio remembered Paredes as "a genius musician, a model citizen and a good man."

Paredes is survived by his partner, musician Luisa Amaro. He is to be buried Saturday at the Cemetery Dos Prazeres in Lisbon.
July 24th, 2004 02:13 PM
J.J.Flash Thanks for posting that Motsie... In fact I heard something about him, surely my father is more concerned about his music than I. Anyway, I don't know his music.