ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: exile on main street cd? Return to archive
July 22nd, 2004 09:54 PM
StonedBeatle Hey guys, new member here. I have a question about the newly remastered series of stones cds by Abkco or whoever. I noticed they re-released a lot of the back catalog but i cant find a remastered exile on main street cd. Did they release it, or if not are there any plans to?

thanks
joe
July 22nd, 2004 09:56 PM
Snappy McJack "Exile" is not on ABKCO -- it's on the Virgin label. Thus, it is not a part of the SACD remasters series from 2002.

The last time "Exile" was remastered was in 1994.
July 22nd, 2004 10:06 PM
StonedBeatle So is the version of exile thats currently in stores the previously remastered version?

joe
July 23rd, 2004 11:57 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
StonedBeatle wrote:
So is the version of exile thats currently in stores the previously remastered version?

joe

Virgin has remastered CDs.
July 23rd, 2004 04:43 PM
Gazza >So is the version of exile thats currently in stores the previously remastered version?

joe

yeah Virgin remastered and reissued all the studio and live albums from "Sticky Fingers" (ie 1971) onwards in 1994.

The ABCKO (London/Decca records) SACD's cover the era up to 1970.

oh, and welcome to Rocks Off
July 23rd, 2004 07:45 PM
Soldatti For the next tour we will get the reissue of the Virgin albums on SACD, I'm sure of this...
July 24th, 2004 01:56 PM
Gazza I guess so, because I don't think the Stones will stay with Virgin after their next studio album comes out (they always move on after their deal ends - same with EMI, Atlantic,CBS before them).

And I don't think Virgin will see the Stones as a band with enough mileage left to offer them a new long term contract either. (More to the point, WHO will? you cant see them putting out another three studio albums, lets face it)

The main attraction to begin with was their back catalogue. They've released one compilation (Jump Back) plus another (in partnership with ABCKO) (40 Licks) and remastered and reissued their post-1970 catalogue. All of those were pretty successful commercially. The only real thing that remains to be done with the Stones back catalaogue is to repackage those albums on SA-CD.

Maybe the Stones will wait until they have a new contract with another label and use the rights to the SA-CD back catalogue as a negotiating tool for a new deal with the label in question. Otherwise, I can't see any new label believing they are going to get too many studio albums or repackaged greatest hits collections for their investment.

It's a strange time for the Stones business wise. They're about to end their Virgin/EMI contract, have milked the greatest hits and reissues almost to death (in every format but SACD) and you can't see them producing much more in the way of originally recorded material because of the age they're now at plus the fact they're basically semi retired as a studio act.

So,if a new label DOES pick them up, you have to wonder what the incentive would be for that company from a long term point of view in a business sense.

The only other thing I can think of is to acquire the rights to a series of unreleased material from the archives (a la Dylan's "Bootleg Series"). It wouldn't sell as well as a studio album or "40 licks" but it's an almost bottomless pit of material to choose from and they could release material far more frequently

[Edited by Gazza]
July 24th, 2004 02:10 PM
Bloozehound I remember when they remastered all those 70's albums in the mid 90's. I snapped them up like hotcakes, I think they were some of the first "remastered cd's" to hit the market place.

I've always wondered about this, should these type of reissues/remasters include bonus tracks ? or do you'll prefer them to be just track-for-track like the original albums

I like the extra goodies they put on these type of cd's
[Edited by Bloozehound]
July 24th, 2004 02:19 PM
Bloozehound i remember when cd's first became popular to the general public around the late 80's

i joined one of those Columbia House cd clubs, 10-cd's-for-a penny deals, cd's were to expensive to buy in the store, cassette tapes were priced around 6 dollars and cd's were 10-12 dollars, it was unheard of madness back then

anyways 3 of those cd's I still have in my collection, they are...

Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels
Jimi Hendrix - Radio One (live at the BBC outtakes i beelive)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying

July 25th, 2004 12:15 AM
Steel Wheels I can't see them signing another multi-album contract...as depressing as that sounds. Whoever they sign with will certainly get the rights to something along the lines of 4 Flicks, 40 Licks, a live album based on a future tour, etc.

I'll gladly take new Winos anyday in the absence of new Stones material.

At the end of the day though, I'd love to see them break out of their studio retirement and cut an album.

The term "studio retirement" is such a nice way of saying LAZY!

July 25th, 2004 12:21 AM
Steel Wheels I have to disagree with myself. They've been on the road so much that it must be hard to get into the studio.

Imagine if our complaint since B2B was, "SHIT! So many albums and not one god damned tour out of all of this?"
July 25th, 2004 07:07 AM
Navin [quote]Gazza wrote:
>So is the version of exile thats currently in stores the previously remastered version?

joe

yeah Virgin remastered and reissued all the studio and live albums from "Sticky Fingers" (ie 1971) onwards in 1994.

If I remember right, the live post-1971 albums came out a bit later. I still have the CBS Love You Live double CD...is there any improvement on the Virgin label release for the live albums - Love You Live, Still Life, & Flashpoint?
July 25th, 2004 10:38 AM
Gazza >If I remember right, the live post-1971 albums came out a bit later.

you may be right. Thanks for the correction in that case.
July 26th, 2004 11:38 AM
BigMac A question was asked above if there was any improvement from the CBS release to the virgin release of the live albums and the answer is..... not a big difference. The virgin releases are brighter, in other words the CBS releases are not sharp, almost like it had dolby noise reduction which cuts the higher frequencies. I took my CBS Made in the Shade and compared track by track with the Remastered series of Sticky, Exile, Goats & IORR and you can tell a detectable difference.

But, IMO like the others above, the new contract will take the 71-97 issues and reissue in SACD form, so don't go out and waste money on the virgin issues, unless you can get them used (like trading the CBS issues inat a place like CD warehouse.)