ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Springsteen, Dylan, Steve Earle on Warren Zevon Tribute Album (NSC) Return to archive
July 19th, 2004 05:09 AM
Gazza from the Bruce Springsteen website www.backstreets.com

RECONSIDER ME: BRUCE, DYLAN, ON ZEVON TRIBUTE

Springsteen and the E Street Band paid tribute to the late, great Warren Zevon last fall in Toronto with a performance of "My Ride is Here" -- and that Rising tour performance will soon be part of an official Zevon tribute album.

Slated for the fall on Artemis, the album is co-produced by Zevon collaborator Jorge Calderon and Warren's son Jordan. The tributee even had a heads-up, as Calderon told the L.A. Times: "I even spoke to Warren about it, and he was totally, 'Not while I'm still here.'... But we already had the idea between Jackson [Browne] and myself and Artemis." Also paying respects will be Browne, the Pixies, Steve Earle, Don Henley, Adam Sandler doing "Werewolves of London" (!), and Bob Dylan doing "Mutineer."
July 19th, 2004 08:27 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the info.

adam sandler - couldnt they find someone with more talent to do werewolves..?
July 19th, 2004 09:40 AM
Gazza maybe its a reflection on warren's own warped sense of humour!
July 19th, 2004 11:48 AM
jb Thanks...Letterman was very moved by Zevon...
July 19th, 2004 12:06 PM
Martha I got to hear Bob perform "Mutineer" at the Hara Arena show in November 2002. It was very moving.

Thanks for the head's up Gary!
July 19th, 2004 12:35 PM
Phog The Pixies are doing this? That's fucking hot!!
July 19th, 2004 07:52 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks...Letterman was very moved by Zevon...

the tribute he did to him last year was excellent...

you know that zevon was part of letterman's starting lineup, right? zevon was one of the guests on letterman's very first show, and every time he changed gigs, he had zevon on as his first guest (late night, this cbs gig, etc.). i forget the rest of the lineup, but i know for a fact that letterman has his original guests on the first night of every new gig, and that zevon is/was part of that team.
July 23rd, 2004 04:57 AM
Gazza more on this from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. July 22, 2004, 11:00 AM ET

Springsteen, Dylan, Pixies Salute Zevon

Live recordings by Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan, as well as newly recorded cuts by Jackson Browne, the Pixies and Ry Cooder will be featured on an upcoming tribute to the late Warren Zevon. Planned for a fall release by Artemis, the collection is being produced by Jorge Calderone, who worked closely with Zevon on his final album, "The Wind."

The title, release date and track list for the album is still being finalized, according to a label spokesperson.

Springsteen, who was among the guests on "The Wind," has contributed a version of Zevon's "My Ride's Here" recorded in Toronto last year. Dylan, who took to performing several Zevon songs on the road in 2003, has offered his take on "Mutineer" to the collection.

In a move that the notoriously sardonic Zevon would probably have appreciated, comedian Adam Sandler has recorded the artist's best-known song, "Werewolves of London," for the compilation.

Jackson Browne donates version of "Poor Poor Pitiful Me," a 1978 top 40 hit for Linda Ronstadt, while the Pixies take on "Ain't That Pretty At All" and Cooder teams with David Lindley for "Monkey Wash/Donkey Rinse."

Singer/songwriter Jill Sobule adds a previously released cover of "Don't Let Us Get Sick," while her Artemis labelmate Steve Earle's "Reconsider Me" and Don Henley's "Searching for a Heart" are both tabbed for inclusion. Among several other tracks that will round out the set will be a cut from actor-turned-recording artist Billy Bob Thornton, who also appeared on "The Wind."

Calderone is planning to add his own touch to the tribute with his rendition of the heartbreaking "Keep Me In Your Heart," one of the songs he co-wrote with Zevon for "The Wind."

Talking to Billboard.com in the wake of a pair of Grammy wins for "The Wind" -- best contemporary folk album and best rock performance by a duo or group for the duet with Springsteen, "Disorder in the House" -- Zevon's son Jordan said there were a few unrecorded songs by late artist and Calderone that he believed would come to light at some point.

"There are songs that he and Jorge collaborated on and we're all gonna get behind Jorge and keep nudging him to record those," he said in February. "I know that Dad gave Jorge his blessing to take those songs and work with them and record them, so hopefully he will."

Jordan Zevon has taken one of those songs, "Studabaker," and recorded it for inclusion on the tribute, and tapped longtime friend/Wallflowers lead singer Jacob Dylan to add backing vocals.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

July 23rd, 2004 05:40 AM
UGot2Rollme I would have much preferred a real musician covering Werewolves. I can already hear Sandler's creepy goofy croon and probably won't buy the CD as a result.
July 23rd, 2004 11:38 AM
Martha I will buy it immediately upon release!!!!! How cool!