ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Amsterdam - 31st July 2006
© PPTB Press with thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Love singer Arthur Lee dies at 61 (nsc) Return to archive
4th August 2006 08:42 AM
Gazza

Arthur Lee, singer and guitarist of the influential 1960s band Love, has died in Memphis at the age of 61 following a battle with acute myeloid leukaemia.

A Memphis native who called himself the "first so-called black hippie", Lee formed Love in Los Angeles in 1965.

The multiracial band recorded three groundbreaking albums that fused rock, blues and psychedelia - the self-titled Love, Da Capo and Forever Changes.

In the 1990s Lee spent time in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

But the singer made a triumphant comeback in 2002, touring the US and Europe with a new version of his classic band.

Although the original members of Love were only together for two years, they typified West Coast progressive rock.

The excess and bravura of the period is reflected on Da Capo, one side of which was taken up with a single song.

The album, like its predecessor, was not a commercial success. But Forever Changes, the band's next album, did reach the Top 30 in the UK.

Considered by many as Lee's bold response to the Beatles' Sgt Pepper album, it remains one of the most enduring records of the period and has been named the 40th greatest album of all time by Rolling Stone magazine.

After that highpoint the band lost momentum and went through many changes of line-up. Lee also recorded as a solo artist, with little success.

His eccentric behaviour and fragile mental health drew comparisons to late Pink Floyd founder member Syd Barrett and led to his arrest and six-year incarceration.

But his return to the limelight in recent years drew acclaim and recognition, his live performances of Forever Changes receiving glowing reviews.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5245310.stm
4th August 2006 09:42 AM
JuanTCB Terrible news.

I'm a recent Love convert - Arthur had the gift!

R.I.P.
4th August 2006 10:28 AM
Nasty Habits Holy Shit.

I literally just played his VINDICATOR album.

My heart is broken.

I got to see him and the new Love play in San Francisco four years ago and it was amazing.

My wife is going to cry.

4th August 2006 10:55 AM
Nasty Habits
4th August 2006 10:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl RIP Arthur, I like this band but have many many years not listening, probably more than 25 years +

BTW, a very bad name for a sike-ay-delic band IMHO
4th August 2006 11:01 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man, that sucks hard.

Goodbye Arthur. You were a great great talent.

Tonight, I will play 7 & 7 seven times in his honor...
4th August 2006 11:05 AM
Joey " Oh man, that sucks hard."

4th August 2006 11:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot >BTW, a very bad name for a sike-ay-delic band IMHO<

Good thing that Love wasn't a psyche band then....(although I could understand why you might think that.)
4th August 2006 08:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
When I was a boy I thought about the times I'd be a man
I'd sit inside a bottle and pretend that I was in a can
In my lonely room I'd sit my mind in an ice cream cone
You can throw me if you wanna 'cause I'm a bone and I go

If I don't start cryin' it's because that I have got no eyes
My father's in the fireplace and my dog lies hypnotized
Through a crack of light I was unable to find my way
Trapped inside a night but I'm a day and I go
Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip, yeah!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)