ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Top 10 Session Musicians ever Return to archive
29th July 2007 06:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 1. Ian Stewart
2. James Burton
3. Bobby Keyes
4. Donald Dunn
5. Steve Cropper

Look I'm way out of my element here. Help me out. LOL.
29th July 2007 06:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Oh yeah. Who's that clown that played piano for Sinatra all those years. I think he just died last year.
29th July 2007 06:47 PM
Mr Jurkka 1.Steve Vai

2.Steve Morse

3.David Gilmour

4.Paul Gilbert

5.Mike Portnoy

6.Jordan Rudess

7.Mick Jagger

8.Frank Zappa

9.Ozzy Osbourne

10.David Lee Roth

Here are some names what have influenced me to music and playing music.
29th July 2007 06:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Oh yeah. Who's that clown that played piano for Sinatra all those years. I think he just died last year.

A quick google and .... Bill Miller. Man, my memory is gonna die before me. LOL. Bill Miller....what a normal, inconsequential sounding fucking name.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th July 2007 07:02 PM
Kilroy Carole Kaye Bassist
Jim Gordon Drummer
HAL BLAINE Drummer
Jim Keltner Drummer
Jim Burton Guitar

Johnny Johnson Piano
Billy Preston Organ
[Edited by Kilroy]
[Edited by Kilroy]
29th July 2007 07:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Hell. It's a job. Pay's pretty good.

Leon Russell
Cliff Gallup
29th July 2007 07:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Hell. It's a job. Pay's pretty good.

Leon Russell
Cliff Gallup

QUIET LEGEND, CLIFF GALLUP
INFLUENCED ROCK & ROLL SUPERSTARS
Virginia newspaper article published February 13, 1989, written by columnist Larry Bonko.

When I heard that guitarist Cliff Gallup died in a Chesapeke hospital not long ago, the news carried me back to my youth, to the 1950s, to high school, and the birth of rock 'n' roll. Gallup helped make rock 'n' roll happen. He was among the musicians who unleashed a tornado in the 1950s. One moment, we were listening to civilized music ‚ Gogi Grant singing "The Wayward Wind," Tenessee Ernie Ford doing "Sixteen Tons," and Prez Prado playing "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White.ÝThen came bursting on the scene the beat of Bill Haley and the Comets, Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley. They blew Grant, Ford, Prado, Perry Como, Guy Mitchell, Pat Boone, Jonnie Ray and Mitch Miller right off the charts.

Rock 'n' roll was born the week of July 9, 1954, when Decca released Haley's "Rock around the Clock." A year later, Presley was on the hit parade with "Heartbreak Hotel."ÝÝPopular music would never be the same. ÝWhen Capitol records was looking for a headliner to rival RCA's Presley, they signed Vincent Eugene Craddock of Norfolk, changed his name to Gene Vincent, and promoted his song. "Be-Bop-A-Lula," into a hot selling record. Cliff Gallup was a member of Vincent's group, the Blue Caps, from 1956 until 1958. Life became a rocket ride to the stars for the young local musicians.

When Clifford E. Gallup died at 58 recently, many of his friends, neighbors and former co-workers probably had no idea that he helped to pioneer a form of music that will likely endure well into the 21st century. So modest was Gallup that his wife, Doris, asked that not one word of his days with the Blue Caps be included with his obituary. That is how Gallup would have would have wanted it, she said. He never bragged. It embarrassed him to be called a legend of popular music, which he was. Gallup was uncomfortable when fans of his "rockabilly" style of playing ‚ there are still many devotees in the British Isles - called to chat or wrote to request autographs. "He never did sign an autograph," said Doris Gallup. "He was not that kind of a person."

Cliff Gallup, a maintenance man in the Chesapeke city schools for nearly 30 years, was the same Cliff Gallup who was on the cutting edge of rock 'n' roll. He played on the same bill with Presley at the old Norfolk Arena - when Elvis was billed as "Pressley" in newspaper ads. ÝGallup played guitar - rather anonymously - right up until the day he died of a massice coronary. He had a gig in Norfolk with a group called the H-Lo's 48 hours before he took ill in his Great Bridge home and died shortly after in an emergency room. Of the original Blue Caps, only Jack Neal, Sr., Dickie Harrell and Wee Willie Williams survive. Neal and Harrell live in Hampton Roads. Vincent died in 1971.

The editors of Guitar Player magazine gave significant space to Gallup's passing, recognizing him as a guitarist who influence Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and other musicians who would elevate rock 'n' roll to a noisier, heavier plane in the 1960's. The rockers paid Gallup the untimate compliment. ÝThey said as a musician he was a killer. The Blue Caps have been all but forgotten in America, even here where their music was born. Overseas their records sell well. "We're adored to death over there," Neal said. The Blue Caps' success did not make the musicians wealthly. Who knows where the money went? "We are not sitting pretty," Neal said.

In his obituary, not a word was mentioned about Gallup's virtuosity or his impact on popular music. Wherever you are today, Cliff, take a bow.

GOD BLESS CLIFF, DORIS, BONNIE and the GRANDCHILDREN.

29th July 2007 07:08 PM
lotsajizz the list should have Jimmy Page and Ronnie Tutt and Jerry Garcia
29th July 2007 08:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
1. Ian Stewart
2. James Burton
3. Bobby Keyes
4. Donald Dunn
5. Steve Cropper

Look I'm way out of my element here. Help me out. LOL.

What about "THE SESSION MAN" Mr. Nicky Hopkins, or Merry Clayton or Tony Levin or Simon Phillips or John McLaughing or Jimmy Page or Rick Wills or etc and etc plus etc
29th July 2007 08:04 PM
sirmoonie Mick Taylor has to be on that list.
29th July 2007 08:15 PM
The Wick Billy Preston has to be on there.
Nathan East
Benmont Tench
29th July 2007 08:39 PM
Gazza All the Motown session musicians. Especially James Jamerson.
30th July 2007 12:38 AM
ShaneJazz The Wrecking Crew.
30th July 2007 02:13 AM
Brainbell Jangler Ry Cooder
30th July 2007 02:14 AM
30th July 2007 02:16 AM
30th July 2007 02:29 AM
mark
quote:
Gazza wrote:
All the Motown session musicians. Especially James Jamerson.

Amen to that. What a monster player
30th July 2007 02:48 AM
Altamont Nicky Hopkins for the win. Thanks for participating. Good night.
30th July 2007 04:38 AM
Jumacfly Ian Mc Lagan on Izzy's first record.
Pino Palladino
Billy Preston (nice surprise on Stadium Arcadium)
Jimmy Rip
30th July 2007 07:01 AM
corgi37 Jeff Porcarro (Porcorro?)
Waddy Wachtel
leon Russell
1 jew, 1 mick, 1 wasp (see Shattered)
30th July 2007 07:11 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Jeff Porcarro (Porcorro?)
Waddy Wachtel
leon Russell
1 jew, 1 mick, 1 wasp (see Shattered)

I think you'll find it was "1 Moroccan, 1 Jew, 1 WASP" LOL
30th July 2007 10:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
What about "THE SESSION MAN" Mr. Nicky Hopkins, or Merry Clayton or Tony Levin or Simon Phillips or John McLaughing or Jimmy Page or Rick Wills or etc and etc plus etc

Like I said I'm way out of my element here. But half the reason I posted the thread is so I could learn something.

Scotty Moore & Bill Black and whoever else Sam Philips had working for him.
The two guys that backed up Bob Marley, can't remember their names off the top of my head.
Blondie
Jim Keltner

30th July 2007 10:42 AM
Mel Belli The various Steely Dan guitarists -- Skunk Baxter, Larry Carlton, Elliot Randall, etc. The two leads in "Kid Charlemagne" (Carlton) are untouchable.
30th July 2007 01:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man I'm not too sure if I could name 10, but Jimmy Page has to be number 1. From 63-66, he was the most sought after session guitarist in England. He performed on countless records and reportedly performed on 50 number 1's. That's no mean feat. One of the first sessions was for Tony Meehan and Jet Harris on their number 1 smash, Diamonds which reached the top of the UK charts in January 1963. The man never looked back. During this period, he also managed to join a couple of groups. Carter Lewis and The Southerners and then Mickey Finn and The Bluemen. He only slowed down when he joined the Yardbirds and even then he managed to fit in sessions right up to the formation of Led Zeppelin.
30th July 2007 01:29 PM
gimmekeef Hubert Sumlin and the blues greats backin Howlin/Muddy/BB..and any of the great Motown guys that made those songs so damn smokin!....Cant forget Steve Cropper either.....
30th July 2007 01:37 PM
Saint Sway Wolfie!!
30th July 2007 01:38 PM
Honky Tonk Man Okay, I guess I gave to look beyond Jimmy Page. James Burton is a favourite. I love his guitar work on the old Ricky Nelson records. Hello Mary Lou, Beleive What You Say etc.
30th July 2007 03:14 PM
Mel Belli Don't forget Glen Campbell.
30th July 2007 07:55 PM
Kilroy
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Don't forget Glen Campbell.

No doubt. THe Campbell
30th July 2007 08:03 PM
Soldatti Jim Keltner
Nicky Hopkins
Ry Cooper
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)