ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Zeppelin Reissuing The Song Remains The Same Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th July 2007 04:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Led Zeppelin Reissuing The Song Remains The Same With Six New Songs
Friday July 27, 2007 @ 05:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Led Zeppelin

Both oldtime Led Zeppelin fans and those who are looking for a comprehensive introduction to the British rock legends have something to look forward to in November.

Atlantic/Rhino will release a two-disc, 24-song best-of titled Mothership on Nov. 13, followed by a deluxe reissue of The Song Remains The Same film and its accompanying soundtrack a week later.

The songs on Mothership were chosen by surviving Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. The compilation features songs from all eight of their studio albums and new liner notes by rock writer David Fricke. It will be released in four separate versions: a standard package featuring two CDs; a deluxe edition featuring the two discs and a 90-minute DVD of live performance footage culled from the Led Zeppelin DVD; a limited-edition collector's edition featuring the same three discs, only in fancier packaging; and a four-LP version on audiophile-quality vinyl that comes with collectible memorabilia.

A lot of pot smoke billowed through movie theatres when The Song Remains The Same, a concert film featuring songs from Zeppelin's three-night stint at New York City's Madison Square Garden, was released in 1976. In addition to the movie's 14 songs, Warner Home Video's new DVD features newly remixed and remastered sound, 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound and has more than 40 minutes of bonus material, including never-before-released performance footage of "Over The Hills And Far Away" and "Celebration Day." There are also performances of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "The Ocean," a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and former Zep manager Peter Grant, TV footage and a radio show featuring Academy Award-winning director and former rock journalist Cameron Crowe.

The DVD will be released in three versions: deluxe edition; deluxe edition HD DVD and Blu-ray; and the limited collector's edition, a two-disc set that includes a vintage T-shirt with the original album artwork, the soundtrack CD, lobby cards, reproductions of invitations to the film's premiere, a tour schedule and other collectibles.

Plant, Page and Jones oversaw the remixing and remastering of the soundtrack, which includes six songs that weren't on the original release: "Black Dog," "Over The Hills And Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." It also features new liner notes by Crowe.

Here are the songs on Mothership:

Disc one:

"Good Times Bad Times"
"Communication Breakdown"
"Dazed And Confused"
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
"Whole Lotta Love"
"Ramble On"
"Heartbreaker"
"Immigrant Song"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"Rock And Roll"
"Black Dog"
"When The Levee Breaks"
"Stairway To Heaven"
Disc two:

"Song Remains The Same"
"Over The Hills And Far Away"
"D'Yer Maker"
"No Quarter"
"Trampled Under Foot"
"Houses Of The Holy"
"Kashmir"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"Achilles Last Stand"
"In The Evening"
"All My Love"
Here are the tracks on The Song Remains The Same:

Disc one:

"Rock And Roll"
"Celebration Day"
"Black Dog"
"Over The Hills"
"Misty Mountain Hop"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"No Quarter"
"The Song Remains The Same"
"Rain Song"
"The Ocean"
Disc two:

"Dazed And Confused"
"Stairway To Heaven"
"Moby Dick"
"Heartbreaker"
"Whole Lotta Love"

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th July 2007 05:40 PM
fireontheplatter i grew up on this album...love it.

god....those were the days.

i should listen to it again.
29th July 2007 06:09 PM
mojoman zep MSG july 73 totally overated. i swear i saw mick in the audience.
29th July 2007 06:11 PM
lotsajizz the best cuts did not make it into the theatrical release
29th July 2007 06:19 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
mojoman wrote:
zep MSG july 73 totally overated. i swear i saw mick in the audience.

you can't/don't really mean that. this period for zep is not a 'period piece' dude, this was the shit. bonom or bottom or whatever his name was kicked ass.
but, thats cool. i respect your opinion.

mick in the audience or not.....this is a killer.

just my 2 cents.........please don't bite my head off.
29th July 2007 07:07 PM
Got Me Rockin Someones got a whole lotta debt.
29th July 2007 07:23 PM
mojoman
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

you can't/don't really mean that. this period for zep is not a 'period piece' dude, this was the shit. bonom or bottom or whatever his name was kicked ass.

i dig it. i just think that the albert hall from 70 on the dvd set was better.
29th July 2007 08:49 PM
Gazza How many compilations is that theyve put out since 1990 - about six?

Quite a feat for a band who only made eight studio albums.
29th July 2007 09:01 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
How many compilations is that theyve put out since 1990 - about six?

Quite a feat for a band who only made eight studio albums.

exactly why put out another bullshit best of release. almost as bad as the stones putting out 40 licks. maybe there is a tour possibility but inevitably it will be to sell more product at christmas time. look at the success of the 77 tour shirts that i see every hipster wannabe wearing these days. funny i was at free buddy guy show there was a kid that came up to me and asked who was playing? the song remains the same definately deserves a makeover though......
29th July 2007 09:17 PM
Gazza well..40 Licks at least had something unique in that it was the FIRST Stones career-spanning compilation, although of course they release too many of them.

Putting out "Jump Back" soon afterwards which is effectively a condensed version of the 2nd half of 40 Licks and which had been released in the UK a decade earlier was the one which baffled me, personally. I couldnt grasp why people bought that one.
29th July 2007 10:32 PM
Trey Krimsin Well, I bought the reissue of Jump Back, since my import copy started skipping in a couple of places.
29th July 2007 10:36 PM
IanBillen Again,

It is sad that a re-issue of a totally played out concert film is all that they have in their back catalogue...

I mean, I always said, and still do that Led Zepp were a totally over rated gig. However, it is sad that their die-hards have really nothing eles to see them on as far as concert footage goes.

I mean, look at the Stones. They have Loads and loads of footage from the sixties on. It is basically what seems to be a never ending barrel full of goods for the boys.

And compared to Led Zep who has like one single concert everyone looks to...because it is really all they have in the kiddy. I never understood why their isn't at least something more.

I mean geez, how many times and how much can people look at The song Remains The Same any more.

It is a classic example of Led Zep and their fans never simply letting what was go... Why? because their is nothing eles to really say, and secondly their is not hardly any material from these guys in their hey-day.

I say remember them for who they were and what they have.
and not keep making decade after decade some type of re-hash revival from the same old drawn out stuff geez... Put a fork in it already.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
29th July 2007 10:41 PM
mojoman
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Again,

It is sad that a re-issue of a totally played out concert film is all that they have in their back catalogue...

I mean, I always said, and still do that Led Zepp were a totally over rated gig. However, it is sad that their die-hards have really nothing eles to see them on as far as concert footage goes.

I mean, look at the Stones. They have Loads and loads of footage from the sixties on. It is basically what seems to be a never ending barrel full of goods for the boys.

And compared to Led Zep who has like one single concert everyone looks to...because it is really all they have in the kiddy. I never understood why their isn't at least something more.

I mean geez, how many times and how much can people look at The song Remains The Same any more.

It is a classic example of Led Zep and their fans never simply letting what was go... Why? because their is nothing eles to really say, and secondly their is not hardly any material from these guys in their hey-day.

and not keep making decade after decade some type of re-hash revival from the same old drawn out stuff geez... Put a fork in it already.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

i'm gonna listen to it after the stones msg 72 gig which i've listened to a couple of times!!!
29th July 2007 10:57 PM
wasted
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Are you talking about John Bonham, the drummer? I find your posts disturbing.
29th July 2007 11:11 PM
wasted
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Again,

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

Ian,

You forgot about the million selling 2 DVD set released in 2003. The one with concert footage from 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, and 1979. I think its one of the largest selling DVD releases of its kind.

Also, there the 3 CD release called How The West Was Won and went straight to number one when it was first released.

Just thought you would like to know.

30th July 2007 12:28 AM
IanBillen [quote]wasted wrote:

Ian,

You forgot about the million selling 2 DVD set released in 2003. The one with concert footage from 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, and 1979. I think its one of the largest selling DVD releases of its kind.

Also, there the 3 CD release called How The West Was Won and went straight to number one when it was first released.

Just thought you would like to know.

Nice input waisted. Good points. I suppose I just have long since cared...

Is the footage on thses DVD's quality visualy and sonically?

If so re-release a concert or two alone with some interviews and back-stage stuff. Maybe some input from their handlers during that tour. Have a thought or two from Jimmy, Jon, and Robert now on the concert and that tour. Have some different versions of a few songs thrown in as a bonus. Or maybe a cover tune from Led Zepp that we have never heard before. Since quite OBVIOUSLY, and strangely there is little, if hardly any other studio stuff besides the actual albums we have heard from them available at all. Remix it and remaster it so it sounds good if need be. Put that out with SOMETHING (even if it is only two or three songs) studio wise that is not part of an official studio album release. But still nothing is ever available...

Do it up right ya know. But still, again and again, decade after decade it is another release and some type of re-hash and more on the fucking Song Remains The Same... > the title is so fitting in this instance.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
30th July 2007 12:36 AM
the good I swear before God and country that I hate Led Zeppelin more and more with each passing day.
30th July 2007 12:57 AM
ShaneJazz The Ocean from that concert was fantastic. One of the times that all four of them were firing on all cylinders.
30th July 2007 07:12 AM
corgi37 Terribly dated crap. Dull as dishwater. Plant's shitty treble voice matched only by the multitude of mistakes Page makes.

And, what the fuck is up with John Paul Jones hair cut?????
30th July 2007 07:28 AM
Gaby
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
The Ocean from that concert was fantastic.

Yes it is. So are Black Dog and Since I've Been Loving You. I don't think the MSG concerts are overrated at all. They're awesome. I can't wait to see Heartbreaker.
30th July 2007 12:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Again,

because they didnt do TV, and didnt really release singles (only in America for some reason). They didnt really play the 'commercial' game that much. They didnt need to.

PS - They released a two disc DVD of concert footage a couple of years ago featuring music from 1969,70,73,75 and 79, which sold gazillions, so its not like Song Remains The Same is all they had in the 'kiddy'... films get re-released all the time, and at least this one has extra footage.

PPS - the Stones may have loads and loads of footage from their golden era but they sure as shite havent been releasing it, in case you havent noticed.
30th July 2007 01:48 PM
speedfreakjive as far as I'm concerned, the MSG footage that I have seen is musically brilliant, The Ocean, Since I've Been Loving You, Black Dog and Misty Mountain Hop are all sonically amazing.

BTW I agree that the 1970 Albert Hall stuff is up there too.

Completely unnecessary to release a 2CD Best Of though, when we already have Early Days, Latter Days, and The 2CD one released around the end of the 1990's.
30th July 2007 01:58 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

because they didnt do TV, and didnt really release singles (only in America for some reason). They didnt really play the 'commercial' game that much. They didnt need to.

PS - They released a two disc DVD of concert footage a couple of years ago featuring music from 1969,70,73,75 and 79, which sold gazillions, so its not like Song Remains The Same is all they had in the 'kiddy'... films get re-released all the time, and at least this one has extra footage.

PPS - the Stones may have loads and loads of footage from their golden era but they sure as shite havent been releasing it, in case you havent noticed.

The Stones have tons of stuff they have released. Gimme Shelter, Ladies and Gentleman The Rolling Stones, Stones at Hyde Park. Tons of TV appearences, tons of bootlegs, tons of singles, music videos and interviews. all of which ar pretty available for the most part. Just try youtube.

Now try the same on Led Zepplin. You'll find The song Remains The Same and not much eles.

I like my idea about a single concert or two. This SRTS is all I ever really hear about, or see when it comes to Led Zepplin. For like the past 25 years now. There just isn't much on them out there.

Ian

30th July 2007 02:12 PM
Saint Sway Ian...

you might want to ck out "How The West Was Won"
30th July 2007 02:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
The Stones have tons of stuff they have released. Gimme Shelter, Ladies and Gentleman The Rolling Stones, Stones at Hyde Park. Tons of TV appearences, tons of bootlegs, tons of singles, music videos and interviews. all of which ar pretty available for the most part. Just try youtube.

Now try the same on Led Zepplin. You'll find The song Remains The Same and not much eles.

I like my idea about a single concert or two. This SRTS is all I ever really hear about, or see when it comes to Led Zepplin. For like the past 25 years now. There just isn't much on them out there.

Ian

The Stones didnt have a lot to do with the re-releases of Gimme Shelter or Stones in the Park. Both releases were documentaries made independently. The first was a film directed by the Mayles Brothers and reissued by Criterion with bonus footage which couldnt include any original ABCKO owned material, and the second a Granada TV documentary first shown in the UK in 1969.

Ladies & gentlemen is available officially? Good luck finding it.

All those interviews on YouTube that have been copied from the various documentaries of the band's career is material that the Stones have not sanctioned. Those documentaries dont even include original music, because the band or ABCKO didnt authorise them.

..and "tons of Tv appearances, interviews and music videos" that have been bootlegged or pirated but not given a commercial release is hardly tantamount to material theyve made available. Jesus Christ. Hardly the strongest example to prove your point about 'stuff theyve released'

The only 'fresh' official release of previously unavailable material from the archives that the Stones have ever approved was 'Rock n Roll Circus', and even that was something that they wouldnt release for 28 years because they thought their performance was shit.
[Edited by Gazza]
30th July 2007 02:50 PM
gimmekeef Wasnt Licks teh second official career retrospective by the Stones?..The first being...High Tide Green Grass....and wait the Singles Collection too?
30th July 2007 03:09 PM
Gazza well.I suppose Big Hits, etc...covered their career up to that point (1966)..Singles Collection only covered the Decca/London material when released in 1989.

40 Licks is the only compilation that covers both the ABCKO and Rolling Stones Records eras. Some of the compilations include Brown Sugar and Wild Horses, but whilst released on RSR they were leased to ABCKO as far as I know.
30th July 2007 03:19 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Only because Gazza passed up the chance, I'll add that "kiddy" ought to be "kitty." Something "in the kiddy" brings on a new, disturbing meaning.
30th July 2007 06:12 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
wasted wrote:

Are you talking about John Bonham, the drummer? I find your posts disturbing.

here's a good idea...don't read them then.
30th July 2007 06:23 PM
Saint Sway
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)